CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

Did some internet surfing last night and seems some of these type of homeland security vehicles have some high tech, titanium parts. Think this and the recently announced American Titanium Works research facility at CU-ICAR are just coincidence? Pose that as a simple question.....I know nothing about either of these industries.

This sounds very intriguing.

It does appear that they are shopping for some state subsidy money on their current tour. Nothing new about that. I wonder how big the potential market would be. As a sole factory building for worldwide sales it might be as big as the local BMW plant.

The basic concept sounds pretty good.

Here is a link to a story and picture of the prototype from Autoblog

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/09/carbon-...-e7-police-car/

• 2 weeks later...

Among the many incentives for locating an assembly plant in the Upstate is the availability of suppliers. For instance, on Sept. 22 Carbon Motors announced a partnership with automotive interior manufacturer Lear Inc. for development of the specialized seating used in the vehicle. Lear builds seats and other interior parts for BMW vehicles in an existing plant in Duncan. Just five days before the Carbon Motors announcement, Lear announced a $10.4 million investment to build a new plant in Greer. This plant is expected to bring 140 new jobs to the area.

I believe this agreement builds upon an existing business relationship between the two companies, as I thought I noticed a LEAR tab sticking discretely out of a seam in the driver's seat in at least one of the photos of the E7.

It's great to see the automotive industry alive and well in the Upstate - thriving even - in spite of current economic conditions.

Among the many incentives for locating an assembly plant in the Upstate is the availability of suppliers. For instance, on Sept. 22 Carbon Motors announced a partnership with automotive interior manufacturer Lear Inc. for development of the specialized seating used in the vehicle. Lear builds seats and other interior parts for BMW vehicles in an existing plant in Duncan. Just five days before the Carbon Motors announcement, Lear announced a $10.4 million investment to build a new plant in Greer. This plant is expected to bring 140 new jobs to the area.

I believe this agreement builds upon an existing business relationship between the two companies, as I thought I noticed a LEAR tab sticking discretely out of a seam in the driver's seat in at least one of the photos of the E7.

It's great to see the automotive industry alive and well in the Upstate - thriving even - in spite of current economic conditions.

This all ties in with the comments the CEO of Carbon Motors made about CU-ICAR in this article. Sounds like a really positive future for Carbon and for Greenville. Keeping the fingers crossed.

I wanted to go to the tour but was out of town. Did any of you attend?

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Carb...8641A7C91D69%7D

I read another interesting article about carbon motors.It stated that they had contracted with a european company to supply the drive trains for there new car.Could this be BMW and could that be yet another reason for them to build at ICAR?I also read that in 2006 Carbon motors and Georgia tech had some type of deal.I don't know what happened if anything maybe there just shopping the company around to get georgia to give them a larger incentive package.

Noticed a cool little detail while biking through ICAR this morning. The Clemson tiger paw is etched into randomly spaced bricks and pavers throughout the first collaboration neighborhood. Only about 2 inches, they are easy to miss. When I started to search, found they are everywhere....just very random. Kinda cool detail.

_MG_2581.jpg

I read another interesting article about carbon motors.It stated that they had contracted with a european company to supply the drive trains for there new car.Could this be BMW and could that be yet another reason for them to build at ICAR?I also read that in 2006 Carbon motors and Georgia tech had some type of deal.I don't know what happened if anything maybe there just shopping the company around to get georgia to give them a larger incentive package.

Seems both Jacksonville and Tampa are competition to land Carbon Motors, per this article:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/n...186&catid=3

When VW was looking for a site for their new plant they said they didn't want to locate in the hurricane zone. Maybe somebody could mention that to Carbon Motors. Makes sense to me.

Read the comments in the link to the Florida paper. A bunch of people starting complaining about how expensive this new cop car is and why can't they just buy from the Big 3 and convert. Someone else had to remind them the story was about building a new plant and adding jobs. Funny.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope so! Keep us posted!

Went bike riding through CU-ICAR today. Definitely something going on by Timken. Must be the new signage. A few small pieces of earth moving equipment. Something staked out. Site prep going on. Too early to tell what it is, but it is right in the location where the CU-ICAR signage is suppose to go.

Went bike riding through CU-ICAR today. Definitely something going on by Timken. Must be the new signage. A few small pieces of earth moving equipment. Something staked out. Site prep going on. Too early to tell what it is, but it is right in the location where the CU-ICAR signage is suppose to go.

Great! thanks. I hope it's as inspiring and innovative as the architecture. (I'd expect nothing less, too) :)

I noticed that work the other day and guessed it might be the signage as well. If anyone locates a copy of the design, be sure to post the link or share details regarding its appearance. :)

Maybe I dreamed it, but I thought there was a rendering floating around here on UP. I've looked through this thread....can't find it. I remember it looks very retro-mod....almost Jetsons. I thought. Am I dreaming? :dontknow: