CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

You can see the future locations for American Titanium Work's research/development complex and Center for Emerging Technologies building on page 12 here: http://www.ridegreenlink.com/tiger/Footnot...ICAR_Campus.pdf I'm not sure why they're going to be located in different technology neighborhoods.

Edited by citylife

You can see the future locations for American Titanium Work's research/development complex and Center for Emerging Technologies building on page 12 here: http://www.ridegreenlink.com/tiger/Footnot...ICAR_Campus.pdf I'm not sure why they're going to be located in different technology neighborhoods.

Cool. I like the fact American Titanium will be in a different technology neighborhood. I've been wanting a second neighborhood to start construction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The signage for CU-ICAR along Laurens Rd is going up. The same dark gray/black brick used for the Clemson University building is being used on the sign/wall... It appears to be pretty far along.

Additionally, the Journal last week had lots of good TBA's for CUICAR concerning jobs, new construction...

Edited by GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY, the CU-ICAR sign is going up along I-85. I just witnessed workers out there with lights on and a lift positioning one of the vertical pieces at nearly midnight.

I was through CU-ICAR today and snapped this as they work on it...not the best pic and lots of pieces to put into place still.........

IMG_9262.jpg

I was just browsing the CU-ICAR website and found these interesting stats:

-24 research partners

-7 on-site research partners

-Total campus population: 675

-Related surrounding projects:

--Verdae: projected population: 10,000

--Hubbell Lighting: 350 jobs

--St Francis: 500 jobs

--American Titanium Works: 3500 jobs in two counties

The Journal reported that American Titanium would be constructing a building along 85 closer to Laurens Rd for their new HQ, which would be the first building to be built outside of the first technology neighborhood. Additionally, the Journal said that all the buildings in the first technology neighborhood are completely filled, and indicated that we'd see the last building in that portion constructed soon... I don't think I realized that 675 people are working at the campus. That's impressive!

I'm excited to see what kind of architecture American Titanium Works adds to the campus... Greenville's presence along 85 is ever-growing!

• 3 weeks later...

The sidewalks and ground are broken up in many small places throughout ICAR, and looks like fittings are in place for some sort of signage system throughout. I'm assuming an ICAR wayfinder system? :dontknow:

Yep, answered my own question. The new wayfinder / signage system is going in. Looks great! Very clean and mod....stainless steel and white. Not totally complete as the sidewalk is still broken in places where the signs are going in. Some photos:

IMG_9407.jpg

IMG_9408.jpg

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9426.jpg

IMG_9431.jpg

IMG_9435.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9439.jpg

IMG_9444.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A connection that I just found interesting.....

When SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) first landed at ICAR, I was impressed that it was such an elite organization and ICAR was one of only 4 offices in the country....beyond that, I didn't think much about it....until now. The CEO of Proterra is a member of SAE. Nice connection....it obviously helped in the decision. :thumbsup:

I was just browsing the CU-ICAR website and found these interesting stats:

The Journal reported that American Titanium would be constructing a building along 85 closer to Laurens Rd for their new HQ, which would be the first building to be built outside of the first technology neighborhood. Additionally, the Journal said that all the buildings in the first technology neighborhood are completely filled, and indicated that we'd see the last building in that portion constructed soon... I don't think I realized that 675 people are working at the campus. That's impressive!

I'm excited to see what kind of architecture American Titanium Works adds to the campus... Greenville's presence along 85 is ever-growing!

That is good to hear. What is the timeline for the construction of the American Titanium HQ? Any renderings, idea of size? How many will owrk in the HQ?

Sage Automotive Interiors, a spin off company of Milliken, is looking for a new HQ in the Upstate. The article says they should have a finalized location in the next few weeks. I wonder if we could see them come to ICAR? The article does mention that the company is currently working with CU-ICAR on developing interiors for different types of vehicles... :dontknow:

They could always construct their own building there, or we've heard that the other Collaboration building is set to begin construction soon, finishing off the first technology neighborhood...

Sage Automotive will most likely locate their new headquarters somewhere in Greenville County. The county has passed tax incentives for the company. I'm not sure where though. Also, according to an article this morning in the Greenville News, the Center for Emerging Technologies building will start construction this Spring at CU-ICAR. It will be three stories tall, 60,000 square feet in size, cost $11 million to build, and will be located next to the parking garage in technology neighborhood I: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100207/NEWS/2070324/0/BUSINESS/High-tech-startups-international-companies-now-have-easier-entry-to-ICAR Originally, it was supposed to be built in technology neighborhood II but CU-ICAR officials decided to move it closer to the Campbell Graduate Center in hopes of landing more start-up companies. Companies that might locate in the building include Proterra and Ozen Engineering Inc. Rendering of building:

emergingtechcu-icar.jpg

Edited by citylife

I realize this is probably a premature discussion, but with the rapid growth of CU-ICAR and the density with which it is being developed, when do you guys think there will be a market for additional services in close proximity? I realize it is close to Woodruff Road and Laurens Road, but it seems that there could be demand for newer services like a hotel, convenience store, etc. on or directly adjacent to the ICAR property. After all, this will quickly become a vibrant, active node of dense activity in the near future.

Thoughts?

I realize this is probably a premature discussion, but with the rapid growth of CU-ICAR and the density with which it is being developed, when do you guys think there will be a market for additional services in close proximity? I realize it is close to Woodruff Road and Laurens Road, but it seems that there could be demand for newer services like a hotel, convenience store, etc. on or directly adjacent to the ICAR property. After all, this will quickly become a vibrant, active node of dense activity in the near future.

Thoughts?

I agree. We need CU-ICAR to be a more sustainable place. I think we might be ok without a hotel (though a really contemporary designed hotel would be awesome), but more restaurant space, etc would definitely be appealing. I'm still in favor of a few residential aspects concentrated around a BRT stop. You really can't beat the outdoor offerings that it ties into... Verdae and its Legacy Park, Millennium Blvd/Fair Forest Way/Carolina Point Parkway pedestrian and bike paths...

I think the young population would be attracted to such an offering. I would be.

emergingtechcu-icar.jpg

Looks great. :thumbsup:

I realize this is probably a premature discussion, but with the rapid growth of CU-ICAR and the density with which it is being developed, when do you guys think there will be a market for additional services in close proximity? I realize it is close to Woodruff Road and Laurens Road, but it seems that there could be demand for newer services like a hotel, convenience store, etc. on or directly adjacent to the ICAR property. After all, this will quickly become a vibrant,active node of dense activity in the near future.

Thoughts?

I'd love to see that old Red Roof Inn at the corner of Laurens / 85 torn down. Replace it with a more modern 7 or 8 story Doubletree.

Thoughts?

Actually there is already a c-store planned for corner on Lauren's Rd. accross from the ICAR Entrance.