Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

WeWork Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in New Jersey bankruptcy court late Monday.

In a widely anticipated move, the New York-based coworking giant said it will work to reduce its debt through a restructuring support agreement with creditors holding 92% of its secured debt.

In the Nashville metro area, WeWork operates three locations — at 18th & Chet, One Nashville Place and 901 Woodland Street. Its 159,000 square feet make is the second-largest coworking company in the city, according to Business Journal research.

Filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection gives WeWork (NYSE: WE) options as it works to restructure its business, including the right to terminate its leases in a host of properties. That was also underscored by WeWork in a statement late Monday, in which the company said it has a "deliberate" and "value-maximizing lease-rejection plan."

As part of the filing, WeWork is requesting the ability to reject the leases of certain locations that the company called "largely non-operational," adding all affected members have received advanced notice. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/11/07/wework-bankruptcy-protection-local-impact.html

• Thanks 1

Not a surprise as business the models keep changing. I think other companies will soon follow suit. You can get too big too fast and that I think is what happened here. There are a few other companies that need to go under for the markets and consumers benefit. Some of these companies are dinosaurs and this is just a matter of the changing times. 

• Like 2

I keep hearing/seeing Nashville among the fastest growing cities since 2020, but I haven't seen any official numbers on any city during the past 3 years. I see estimates for counties, and we saw how most cities actually showed a loss of population during the pandemic year (even Nashville allegedly did too). Still skeptical of those numbers and realize certain places were impacted by young adults and/or students returning to their hometowns during that period. Beyond that, I haven't seen anything that shows Nashville grew any faster than other larger, healthy midsize population centers.  I think a great deal of my questioning comes from the unreliable data Metro has used to plan for growth. Seems they're never up to date (e.g. building permits for residential, address changes, etc. don't seem to be compiled) and easily accessible.

• Like 1

Good news bad news for the Nashville apartment market.   Good news your rents are falling metrowide.  Bad news vacancy is increasing and with financing tough you will see a major slowdown of apartment growth.

Don't shoot the messenger.

CoStar News - Multifamily Rents Fall at Fastest Pace in 15 Years in Nashville, Tenn.

Rents have flatten out in Charlotte too and our starts are down too this year.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/16/2023 at 7:21 AM, Luvemtall said:

We all need to recognize and openly acknowledge the bull in the china store. The 2024 elections are on everyone’s radar, regardless of your opinion. This isn’t a political message, I’m just stating a simple truth. The uncertainty of what comes next , is in the back of all our minds and that goes true for the financial markets as well. From the Feds all the way down to local banks and investors, the ledge so to speak is a delicate balancing act right now. Unfortunately IMO I don’t think we will see a difference, until the election is over and the path forward is a little bit clearer.

What does the above mean?

sky high inflation, sky high interest rates, astronomical budget deficit, national debt has now grown to be unpayable, dollar losing its world's currency status, real estate market collapsing, bond market collapsing, corporate layoffs

and you're actually trying to tell us its because of an election that is happening a year away?

Man this is straight jacket logic.

Edited by Argo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/20/2023 at 10:23 PM, subkyle said:

Cool angel of our beautiful city from a Tripadvisor ad on Facebook. I know we all hate the standard pic of our city so always glad to see a fresh look.

IMG_7237.jpeg

Great angle. You know it's bad when I'm looking at these pics wondering 'oh, which is that new building?'. I go down all the time for Preds games and seems like I always notice something new that has probably been going up for months and months. Perfect example is that rather large building in the foreground of the photo. I know I've walked past it multiple times recently to go to shows at Ascend but never really noticed it from this angle.

• Like 4