Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

So the Xmi AT&T project in midtown looks horrible. Everyone involved in that should do some introspective thinking. They definitely did not maximize any short or long term value. I am disappointed our zoning laws allowed it to be built in its current form.

I'm not a snob about buildings, but they should be ashamed at wasting such a prime spot

This is a little off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the area on the roof of the CMHOF right behind the sloped roof is?  It looks like like it is an empty swimming pool.  I notice that there is a row of trees directly above it but was unsure of the use for that space.  Thanks!

This is a little off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the area on the roof of the CMHOF right behind the sloped roof is?  It looks like like it is an empty swimming pool.  I notice that there is a row of trees directly above it but was unsure of the use for that space.  Thanks!

That's going to be the pool for the Omni, I believe.

248046_10101442255016275_733562048_n.jpg

941908_10101442255175955_68913093_n.jpg

I'm not sure if it has been posted here (and I just missed it), but the Captain D's off of OHB/I-65 near Brentwood (off of Stone Brook Dr) has been torn down...and this structure is going up. I'm sure it's a restaurant, but I haven't heard anything about what it will be. Does anyone know?

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

WHO GOT TIF? COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!! LET US KNOW!!!! IS IT SWERDLING? TONY GIARRATANA? PEABODY? THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING US ALL!!!!!

I hope that got someone's attention!!

That's definitely a little disappointed. I had hope Sony/ATV would go to either Gulch Crossings or the Eakin proposal. 

On the other hand, the robust leasing of Pinnacle, 5/3rd, SunTrust, Nashville City Center and One Nashville Place will mean that downtown office vacancy continues to shrink, and will therefore point to demand for additional downtown office product in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

On the other hand, the robust leasing of Pinnacle, 5/3rd, SunTrust, Nashville City Center and One Nashville Place will mean that downtown office vacancy continues to shrink, and will therefore point to demand for additional downtown office product in the not too distant future.

That's very true. While I want to see more buildings get built, the most important thing is the health of the office market. We might have to wait a few more years, but if things start to get tighter, then we might see some larger/taller developments rather than a number of smaller ones. Who knows? We'll just have to see.

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

That's very true. While I want to see more buildings get built, the most important thing is the health of the office market. We might have to wait a few more years, but if things start to get tighter, then we might see some larger/taller developments rather than a number of smaller ones. Who knows? We'll just have to see.

I am predicting we will see an office tower announcement by end of summer if not sooner, and I am not talking about NCC2 either.

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite
  • Like 1

What is TIF? I keep seeing people ask that, but for a noob like me I never understood what they were talking about.

There are all sorts of variations from state to state and municipality to municipality, but the general idea is that the increased tax revenues from a large development over several years can be used to support that project up front.

For example (now bees are not correct):

-A 1 acre parking lot in Sobro is worth $3 million and produces $30,000 in tax revenues yearly.

-Assuming he can get TIF, A developer comes along and wants to put up a 30 story, 600 bed hotel. Once built it would be valued at $75,000,000 and would produce $750,000 of property taxes yearly.

-The city says tat they'll allow TIF funding for this development tat would be used to pay for infrastructure upgrades and a public space on the property. They approve a 20 year TIF that would return 50% of the tax revenues to the developer ($7.5 million) that can be used in te development.

-The city floats a bond that will provide those funds up front so that te developer can proceed with the project.

Many city's have TIF districts to encourage redevelopment in blighted areas (Chcago does this all over the city) while others do TIF funding based on a case by case analysis.

• Like 2

I really do find this whole precinct idea completely stupid. And to have Rich Riebling say that it's cheaper because the city already owns the land is preposterous. Here is a building that would require $1M-$2m in rehab. Here is a strip of land that is completely undeveloped, will take every single street parking spot, some parking in the MCC garage, and be a drain on possible funds, but that's still cheaper? You've lost your mind on this one, Riebling. 

I really do find this whole precinct idea completely stupid. And to have Rich Riebling say that it's cheaper because the city already owns the land is preposterous. Here is a building that would require $1M-$2m in rehab. Here is a strip of land that is completely undeveloped, will take every single street parking spot, some parking in the MCC garage, and be a drain on possible funds, but that's still cheaper? You've lost your mind on this one, Riebling. 

Rich needs to go to the dentist extremely badly. Looks as if he needs some lower bridge work done not to mention a little brain surgery.

Ken's Sushi opening up on Main Street on the East Side.

John,

Is this the new location or a new location in addition to the one that has to move?

• Like 1