Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

From the large photo thread recently created by UTgrad09 was this photo of a building near 33rd and West End .....

WestEndBldg_zps1a2d0d0a.jpg

I always felt this building was very underrated. It was recently renovated and there was some discussion about it in this forum, but I find several things intriguing.

It was one of the first to be built in the Sylvan Park neighborhood. The park is owned be the neighborhood association made up of several blocks of old houses along Murphy Road. It supposedly was one of the first such associations formed in the USA. However, in the 70's I guess too much money was offered and the association approved office and retail development within the park.

The architecture looks blah by todays standards, but the homage to the nearby Parthenon replica in Centennial Park is all too obvious and delightful. I'm glad to see it restored in such a respectful way.

We were talking about this at work today.  I work for a division of CCA that is called TransCor.  We handle prisoner transportation and are based in the Berry Hill-area office.  I used to receive periodic calls from people trying to connect to the other TransCor.  Now we will both be in the same city!  But hooray for downtown!  I'm glad that the downtown core, and the CBD specifically, landed another corporate tenant.  One Nashville Place seems to be pretty competitive for the downtown office submarket.

Funny that a toll company would locate in a state with no toll roads.

Just a tidbit from the end-of-season Preds Presser, per Jeff Cogen, the Preds will be building another ice rink and hope to break ground by August.

That's interesting.

A couple of questions...(don't know if you know the answers or not).

-Will this be a new practice facility for the Preds (which would open up the Sportsplex for 2 rinks) or just another ice surface in town (for youth hockey purposes)?

-Any idea where this would be located? There are currently 4 rinks in town (as far as I know)...2 at the Sportsplex and 2 in Franklin. It would be wonderful if there was a rink available in another part of town. There have been some proposals here and there...but a facility on the east or north side would be welcome. Hendersonville, Donelson/Hermitage, or Smyrna would all be good candidates.

Tennessee moved up to #17 on Bicycle Friendly States. We were #26 last year.

http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bicyclefriendlyamerica/bicyclefriendlystate/report_cards.php

Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga all ranked as Bronze level communities. Memphis didn't rank. The only University that made the list is Lincoln Memorial University (?).

I would like to see one or two of our cities, especially Nashville, move up to at least silver in the near future.

Compromise is better than remodeling. 

I'd like to see the plans before I pass too much judgment here...I noticed they said it will be closer to 12th by 25 feet...which according to my imprecise google maps measuring, still puts it 25-30 feet from the street (better than 50-55 currently...but still only a marginal improvement). Landscaping...sounds great. My biggest concern...how will it look on Broadway? A line of trees and landscaping would be OK...but it still wouldn't justify a big parking lot fronting our premier thoroughfare. 

All in all, I'm guessing Metro considered this to not be worth a long, drawn out ordeal.

Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga all ranked as Bronze level communities. Memphis didn't rank. The only University that made the list is Lincoln Memorial University (?).

I would like to see one or two of our cities, especially Nashville, move up to at least silver in the near future.

Memphis will stay that way as long as there are city councilmen who say that bike lanes and bike lane signage add blight. smh. 

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 1