Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Incredible long and the political overtones were problematic ... but it was Buzzfeed and trash is their normal product. I was really only interested in the  origin of why Nashville has all these 'bach' parties and the angle that they can drive population growth.

The tone of the comments about Buzzfeed is a little dated. They're doing hard news (though I'm not sure this article qualifies) and investigative reporting now:

https://www.poynter.org/news/buzzfeed-news-gets-its-first-pulitzer-citation

The reporter who was the subject of that article, Chris Hamby, is from Williamson County and already has a Pulitzer under his belt.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Tennesee house votes to allow wine on Sundays and some local yokel quotes the bible in response lol.  What a joke.  I absolutely loathe people like that.

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/tennessee-house-votes-allow-liquor-and-wine-sales-sunday#stream/0

You live in the Bible Belt dude, get over it. 

25 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

^^ I will go out on a limb and say the loathing is probably reciprocated! SMDH

That's not very christian of you.

8 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

You live in the Bible Belt dude, get over it. 

And that buckle is loosening.  Not sure if I'm the one that needs to "get over it".

Edited by grilled_cheese

12 minutes ago, markhollin said:

20 of Nashville area's top realtors weigh in on the state of the housing market in the region for 2018 and beyond.  All are very bullish.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/04/11/when-will-nashvilles-housing-market-slow-down-real.html

Which would make me a bit scared. Rising interest rates could curtail some of that bullishness. 

1 minute ago, ruraljuror said:

Just curious...if there were a legislator using the Torah to support banning booze sales on Saturday or an Islamic legislator trying to ban booze sales during prayers for 15 minutes 5 times a day, would you consider the people opposing those regulations to be anti-Semitic or Islamophobic? 

It’s not the lifting of the Sunday ban that we find troubling, it’s grilled cheese’s blatant dislike of Christians in general. I completely want the Sunday ban to be lifted, but when people make it a “what an idiot, quoting the Bible” issue, my tribalism kicks in. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

It’s not the lifting of the Sunday ban that we find troubling, it’s grilled cheese’s blatant dislike of Christians in general. I completely want the Sunday ban to be lifted, but when people make it a “what an idiot, quoting the Bible” issue, my tribalism kicks in. 

I can understand that.  I interpreted GC's frustration and animosity to be primarily about a separation of church and state issue, but that may be generous on my part.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

This, in the middle of another pointlessly escalating forum argument where people yell at each other online for no good reason, is a beautiful response. You could write an authoritative history of the early 21st century called My Tribalism Kicked In. Posting while tribal should be considered similar to driving while drunk. It clouds one's judgement and intelligence and often seems to inspire pointless aggression.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I completely want the Sunday ban to be lifted, but when people make it a “what an idiot, quoting the Bible” issue, my tribalism kicks in. 

That's fair, and if that truly is the case, that he is opposed to people quoting scripture in general, then I agree it's a bit silly.  What I took his words to mean though, and this is something I agree with, is that he is opposed to legislators allowing their personal religious beliefs to cloud their judgement on issues that have nothing to do with religion at all.  Just my two cents.  :)

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2