Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

You guys are bad! My heart skipped a few beats when I saw the pictures of Signature Tower lol. I’d be happy with a shorter version. Do you guys remember the original plan before it was 1,050 ft.? Not talking about the first rendition where it had an Art Deco appearance. I’ll try and find pics. I believe the first design of it’s current rendition was around 2005. 

Edited by TNinVB
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Skyscrapergeek said:

Ron, some may find your comments puzzling. 

I seek to puzzle! I pretty much know where but the when is a question. My guess is a little sooner than later. We all have an idea as to how tall. Approx. 60 stories. There are a few on the board that know the where too.

• Like 4

https://nashville.eater.com/2018/4/5/17203164/tartufo-closed-midtown-nashville

Is there a term for buildings that just constantly change tenants/restaurants like that? They call it a revolving door restaurant. I was trying to search so I could read more about why it happens, see if there had been any studies or anything. Any ideas?

6 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

People from rural counties shouldn't have a vote in deciding state or city matters.

http://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee-lawmakers-cite-wikipedia-and-the-onion-while-debating-bill

Are you just trolling now? Citizens of the state who live in non-urban areas shouldn't have a say in the way the state is run?

Yes, a particular state legislator said something stupid by referencing The Onion (though I imagine plenty of people cite Wikipedia in public and private debates, whether or not they admit it is another matter). That being said I'm not entirely sure he was unaware that The Onion is satire, his comment is ambiguous.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

People from rural counties shouldn't have a vote in deciding state or city matters.

http://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee-lawmakers-cite-wikipedia-and-the-onion-while-debating-bill

This is ParkAve level trolling. Go to the Civil Rights Room at the archive and read about what happens when one segment of the population that considers itself superior tries to exclude another segment from having a say in political matters. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

This is ParkAve level trolling. Go to the Civil Rights Room at the archive and read about what happens when one segment of the population that considers itself superior tries to exclude another segment from having a say in political matters. 

You're certainly right, but you don't have to go to the Civil Rights Room to see this kind of deliberate disenfranchisement in action still today (e.g. gerrymandering, voter ID laws and which IDs qualify, etc.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^

The true disenfranchisement occurs every time an illegally cast ballot cancels out a valid ballot. 

The gerrymandering and required voter ID canard is truly laughable. 

4 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

^^

The true disenfranchisement occurs every time an illegally cast ballot cancels out a valid ballot. 

First, citation needed. Second, you don’t get to redefine words like ‘disenfranchisement’ at your whim because you believe it fits nicely into the conspiracy theories of a particular ideology. Frankly, it’s pretty embarrassing that you feel it’s appropriate to do so given our nation’s political history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

^^

It's one thing to disagree about whether or not something like the transit plan is a good idea.  It requires making predictions about the future (like population growth and ridership estimates) that no one really knows.  You may weigh the forecasting evidence one way and I may weigh it another, and we can both rationally reach different conclusions.  

But this isn't that.

Nothing works if we can't agree to basic facts.  Democracy doesn't work.  Civilization doesn't work.  Urban Planet doesn't work. Nothing works.

Obviously gerrymandering is a thing.  I'm not sure what's laughable about it.  If I were making it up I would've given it a less ridiculous name (If you meant that the word 'gerrmandering' is laughable as a funny sounding word, then we agree--it's a long story, but basically there was this politician named Gerry who redrew his district in the shape of a salamander in order to make sure he could get re-elected, because) gerrymandering is clearly a real thing.  And more importantly...

It's a NON-PARTISAN ISSUE.  Democrats do it.  Republicans do it.  It's a real, mathematically measurable/provable thing.  And it's always wrong because it skews the whole foundational idea of one (pers)man, one vote, which were were all in favor of just a couple of posts up the message board before you put your partisan hat on.

And of course disenfranchisement happens every time an illegal vote is cast that cancels out a valid one.  But what about when an illegal vote just cancels out another illegal vote for the other team?  Beside the fact that there is literally no evidence of any kind of widespread voter fraud whatsoever, why on earth would you think it would be more widespread on one side of the political aisle than the other?  Even if you're right that there are tons of illegal votes being cast, wouldn't you think that it would probably balance out? Or do you think a disproportionate number of Democrats are voting illegally?  If so, they're doing a really bad job of it given there are Republican majorities in all branches of the Federal government and 2/3rds of the states.  If only all those illegal voters had voted 15 times instead of 9, right? It's nonsensical.  

Do you think scrubbing voter rolls for similar sounding names is a good idea?  Me nether!--non-partisan.  Do you think polling places in each district should be open for the same set hours/days and serve the same number of voters?  Me too!--non-partisan.  Do you think that every eligible citizen should be able to vote for free?  Should any ID required to vote then also be free and distributed to all qualified voters?  Then we agree again--it's non-partisan.

I'm not sure what's so laughable about any of that.
Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes!! I actually know what this means. Atlanta gets knocked for its fakeness. So does its little sister. I remember when it seemed everyone in Nashville said, "We (as if it had been mutually discussed and agreed) don't want to be the next Atlanta." So when was the last time anyone heard that said? 

None of these developments are novel to Nashville; at least a dozen people told me “Nashville feels like Austin, 10 years ago.” But that decade is telling: Austin’s ghost has largely been bulldozed and built over with box condos. Nashville’s is still just visible enough to haunt it.