Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

5 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I've heard this a lot, but I haven't seen any actual evidence of that.  Antioch also isn't the only place that could have that complaint. Madison took a very similar path as well, and the Davidson County side of Goodlettsville is very similar as well.  All were safe, middle class neighborhoods that have seen its demographic skew lower income. As that has happened there has been an increase in crime.  

I don't think anyone questions that Antioch has seen an increase in crime an lower income housing, but I would assert that the government wasn't the cause. I would argue that all of us (society as a whole, but especially us on this website as we tend to be urbanites) are to blame.  People have clearly taken an interest in the urban core again which has led to the gentrification and price increases in neighborhoods all over the city. 12South, The Nations, Edgehill, Lockeland Springs, Edgefield, Sylvan Park, Salemtown, etc., etc., etc., have all seen tremendous influxes of affluent, highly educated people that have driven prices up.  At the same time, inner suburbs immediately outside Davidson County (Brentwood, Mt Juliet, Hendersonville) have continued to do very well because of the strong academics in their school systems. All of those displaced residents must live somewhere.

What all of that has led to is expensive real estate in the core, expensive real estate in the inner suburbs outside of Davidson County, and lower income housing in the more distant neighborhoods in Davidson County. The urban core is now much safer while the suburbs never had a crime issue and still don't have a crime issue.  Places like Antioch and Madison were left out in the cold and have seen an increase in crime.  I don't see how the city/county government caused any of that.  It was a fundamental shift in society, one in which people valued urban living  and continued to value the best education for their kids. With any societal shift there is fallout, and that fallout landed squarely on Antioch/Madison. 

I've addressed the issue elsewhere on here in more detail and don't wish to repeat it all. As a lifelong resident of Antioch (42 years), I've been an eyewitness to the boom and the decline and it dovetails with Metro's interference in deciding it knew better than residents as to how it should be and used us as a dumping ground. We would've been far better off had we been a separate and independent city today and not under the thumb of Metro in control of our own affairs.

• Like 3

All Topgolf's are pretty much the same build except for Las Vegas which is the Flagship location at over 100,000 sq ft and Nashville having an addition 7500 sq. ft music venue added instead of a gaming room for Xbox. These will be the only two were they actual tweaked the design from your basic Topgolf design. It will be another great addition to the entertainment for Nashville of things to do once completed. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

nice. whats your thoughts on the project

I'm pumped about it coming here and love where it's going. I've played at one of the topgolfs in Atlanta and had a blast. The best part is it's fun for golfers and non-golfers. I do wish it was going to face downtown and the skyline, but the setting sun would be too much in the afternoons. I also think the spring 2017 opening date is a little ambitious based on what I saw today. 

16 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I do wish it was going to face downtown and the skyline, but the setting sun would be too much in the afternoons.

If the Monroe project to the north on Cowan Street comes to fruition, it should have an interesting view in its own right.

I do wonder why TopGolf doesn't site their locations to allow for low- or mid-rise development around the range. I get that many people probably wouldn't want to live next to it, but on the other hand it seems like the novelty factor and guaranteed open space would draw some residential and commercial demand. Would also at least partially hide the netting.

9 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

anybody know what they're gonna do with the Greer stadium?

and does anybody know what they're doing with the riverfront. I was in Austin tx for a bit and I noticed the way they have the riverfront set up it's really nice. houses and all.

No decisions on Greer Stadium yet.  My guess is that it will be razed, the parking lots ripped-up, and the whole area will become a large park with soccer fields, softball fields, walking tracks, etc.  We will need some large open spaces like that as the inner core gains more and more residential density.

Not sure what you're asking about the riverfront.  An awful lot HAS been incrementally done already in the past 35 years.  There are additional plans to extend the west side park all the way down to the interstate with a riverwalk that then opens out into a 13-acre Boathouse Park that will include canoe, paddle boat, kayak, and other rentals, plus a boat launch, and maybe a small marina.  Additionally, much of the park will have walking trails, some open meadows, and lots of trees and landscaping.  Perhaps a playing field or two.

On the east side of the river, there are plans to extend the Cumberland Park further to the north in front of Nissan Stadium up to the Main Street and Woodland Street Bridges, and have a river walk that would wind all the way up along the edge of the Cowan Street District northward to the interstate (and perhaps beyond).  Long-term, the plan is to develop everything to the south and east along the area that currently front PSC Metals and other industrial agents---but, since that is currently not public land, all of those private entities have to get packing for those long-range plans to unfold.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grilled_cheese said:

B Withers voted against the One Touch Make Ready bill last night.  I really have enjoyed his posts over the years here and dude is super knowledgeable but makes some IMO incorrect choices (event venue closure attempts, and now OTMR).

As much as I want Google here to provide some much-needed competition (you can tell by the ads that they already have Comcast's attention)....I had some concerns about this bill as well. I'll be honest that I'm not super well educated in what exactly is needed to *fix* the current situation, but this bill seemed like it was catered to Google. As much as I dislike Comcast and AT&T, I think they have legitimate concerns about another company moving their infrastructure around without their knowledge or consent. And none of the companies seem to want to give any ground. 

Maybe someone with a better knowledge of how these systems work can tell me why Google can't build a separate line on these poles without touching other company's lines.

15 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

As much as I want Google here to provide some much-needed competition (you can tell by the ads that they already have Comcast's attention)....I had some concerns about this bill as well. I'll be honest that I'm not super well educated in what exactly is needed to *fix* the current situation, but this bill seemed like it was catered to Google. As much as I dislike Comcast and AT&T, I think they have legitimate concerns about another company moving their infrastructure around without their knowledge or consent. And none of the companies seem to want to give any ground. 

Maybe someone with a better knowledge of how these systems work can tell me why Google can't build a separate line on these poles without touching other company's lines.

Because there would need to be modification to 88,000 utility poles in addition to running the lines. And this isn't just catered to Google, it's going to cater to anyone else who comes in and wants to compete and haven't necessarily had the legal/financial resources to go up against the Oligarchy of AT&Crash.

• Like 2