Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Vanderbilt and the MLS team should join together and build a new stadium. Vanderbilt badly needs a new football stadium and I'm sure they could build it in a way that during a soccer match it doesn't look empty, plus Vandy could do the same as well since we all know they struggle to sell tickets sometimes. 

• Like 1

I would love to see the PSC site be re-developed.  However, I doubt we'll see that anytime soon. There are some alternatives.

There is a ton of land under contract on the eastern shore of the Cumberland River by the development team out of Chicago.  It is 105 acres controlled by one developer, I believe. Could they partner up with the MLS to create an urban village centered around a soccer-specific stadium? I envision an area with 2500 residential units, 1.5 million sq feet of office and a half million sq feet of retail while fully integrating the river and mass transit. 

There is also a lot of parking lot space that could be utilized around Nissan Stadium.  Could a stadium project stimulate the construction of residential, office, and retail along with the stadium construction?

• Like 3

I looked at the costs of new soccer specific stadiums in the US and for the most part they tend to run in the $120 million +/- dollar range. Some stadiums in New York and a few of the larger cities ran upward from $300M. Conversely, the Columbus stadium would have cost $50 M in todays dollars, but it seems to be very basic and plain in it's construction. The City of Nashville apparently has a $50M budget item for a stadium in it's long term plans. On top of that, the franchise fee will be $200M, probably expected to be paid to by the potential owners.

The best leverage of that $50M in my mind.would be to condemn/buy the scrap metal site and offer it to the owners to build a stadium and develop mixed use residential and office which would help cover the costs of stadium building. The remainder of that $50M could go to infrastructure costs and parking garages on the Nissan Stadium site. A win-win situation.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

Do any of y'all think the MLS plans have any chance of becoming reality? Or is it just a bunch of rich men with wishful thinking proposing something thats not gonna happen?

I believe it is a reality.  Atlanta is already joining the league next year so we aren't competing with them which would be the biggest rival in terms of cities with greater reach.  Outside of an North Carolina city getting one we should be the next obvious choice.

• Like 3

I did some research around the internet about the upcoming expansion and discovered there will be four more teams eventually added. The general consensus is that Detroit and St. Louis (because of sheer market size) and Sacramento are three favorites. Most columnists seemed to think San Diego is not a strong candidate (about to lose NFL). Nashville's announcement was too late for their consideration as a candidate. There was apparently no solid backing for a team in North Carolina to make the list. Austin has no serious financial supporters lined up, just political wishfulness.  

The list of candidate cities on my chart below comes from the recent AP article announcing Nashville's intent to seek a franchise. Oddly Phoenix, was not on the AP list. I don't think there has been a significant line up of ownership, political and business support in Phoenix like Nashville has.

Soccer%20city%20eval_zpsozadwxb9.jpg

Note: I didn't finish my evaluation and some of the proposed stadium information was purely conjecture on my part. The positives/Negatives are strictly my opinion also.

Current teams and those to be added soon (will bring total to 24) include; NYC (2), LA (2), Houston, Chicago, Boston, San Jose, Columbus, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, KC, Atlanta, Dallas, Salt Lake, Portland, Denver, Philly, Miami, Seattle, DC, Orlando, St Paul.

It seems we have a few peer cities in the league including Columbus, Kansas City, Salt Lake City and Portland. I like our chances.

BTW, I feel City population is as important as Metro area in this matter as the size of the City will dictate it's ability to provide a soccer specific stadium.

Edit: Nashville is not the number three Metro. My mistake!

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 3

Please join me in boycotting the rest of Austin Ray's businesses; ML Rose, Sutler, and whatever garbage they turn Melrose into.

In one of the articles I read he was quoted saying "we want to keep the same vibe but do some updating".  Those are code words for making it non smoking and charging more for the beer and food.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2016 at 11:59 AM, grilled_cheese said:

Please join me in boycotting the rest of Austin Ray's businesses; ML Rose, Sutler, and whatever garbage they turn Melrose into.

In one of the articles I read he was quoted saying "we want to keep the same vibe but do some updating".  Those are code words for making it non smoking and charging more for the beer and food.

What's wrong with non-smoking?

• Like 4

The Tennessean to sell offices, pursue new Nashville home http://tnne.ws/2bpOVFM 

The Tennessean is putting its longtime offices up for sale, as the media company considers a new downtown Nashville home better suited for its expanding digital operation.

Though no sales price has been named, the 10-acre property at 1100 Broadway covers a full city block adjacent to the booming Gulch neighborhood and is expected to fetch a sizable price for The Tennessean's parent company, Gannett Co. Inc.

• Like 2