Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, claya91 said:

According to my director (I work for AIG), HCA purchased our building and will take it over when we move over to Seven Springs Phase II.

I remember seeing there are plans for several more buildings around the old AIG building that HCA is going to build. I think it's on the Nashville development map. Too much to remember any more. 

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I remember seeing there are plans for several more buildings around the old AIG building that HCA is going to build. I think it's on the Nashville development map. Too much to remember any more. 

If I'm being honest, I wish we weren't relocating. That campus is gated, quiet, with a gym, cafeteria and a huge open courtyard. We are going to lose all of that.

Not surprising to hear they are going to build around it. That parcel is quite large, probably 10 acres.

Edited by claya91

20 hours ago, claya91 said:

If I'm being honest, I wish we weren't relocating. That campus is gated, quiet, with a gym, cafeteria and a huge open courtyard. We are going to lose all of that.

Not surprising to hear they are going to build around it. That parcel is quite large, probably 10 acres.

You might be surprised to learn that the campus is 53 acres. Most of it is wooded.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2016 at 7:27 AM, nashvillwill said:

In my opinion, that particular wall is a work of art as it currently is. It's human scaled. It has dimensional depth and imperfections. A mixture of warm colors and greys. The patina on that brick is very pleasing to the eye if you ask me. It has a history and tells a quiet story if you look long enough. But, I guess I may be in the minority on all of that. Personally, I would like them to walk on past this one and find another grey concrete block wall somewhere to paint. There are plenty of those around. 

Sadly, they started painting over this beautiful traditional brick wall early this morning.

I'm all for art and murals, but this one is just destruction of our heritage

• Like 1

On 7/14/2016 at 6:14 PM, claya91 said:

According to my director (I work for AIG), HCA purchased our building and will take it over when we move over to Seven Springs Phase II.

As an HCA employee, ive been told the majority of HCA employees that are located in Maryland Farms are moving to the AIG building.  

On July 17, 2016 at 0:10 PM, farm_boy said:

Sadly, they started painting over this beautiful traditional brick wall early this morning.

I'm all for art and murals, but this one is just destruction of our heritage

Going to disagree with you on this one. That wall is ugly and was never meant to see the light of day because of the previous building on that lot.

We don't need blank walls anywhere that people can see other than some of the alleys, and that in some cases is great too.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Going to disagree with you on this one. That wall is ugly and was never meant to see the light of day because of the previous building on that lot.

We don't need blank walls anywhere that people can see other than some of the alleys, and that in some cases is great too.

Per the pictures I would have to agree with you; it has a tree growing on the side of it.  By the way; while they're giving the wall some attention and while they have the boom there why not go ahead and uproot that thing.

Edited by L'burgnative

William Williams of The Post conducted a nice interview with one of Nashville's leading architects, Hunter Gee of Smith Gee Studio.  some of the topics covered include The Gulch, East Nashville, Envision Cayce, Container Corner in The Nations, Ryman Lofts in Rolling Mill Hill, and the South of Broadway Strategic Master Plan.  Good read...

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/people/article/20828230/qa-smith-gee-studios-hunter-gee

• Like 1

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

I really like the idea of mixed-income housing when it pertains to "public" housing.  Our nation needs to get rid of public housing where you throw hundreds of low-to-no income families into a compound together.  I can't think of a more dreary reality than to be constantly surrounded by hundreds of other people who are struggling just as bad or worse than you are.  That would feel hopeless to me...and I think hopelessness sometimes breeds anger, fear and eventually dissent.  Find a way to help people live in a neighborhood that at least allows them a chance to see some forward movement.

Are you not describing benefits of gentrification to a large extent?

44 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Are you not describing benefits of gentrification to a large extent?

But gentrification sometimes drives low-to-no income people out of a neighborhood because taxes rise on their homes.  I still would say there needs to be public assistance and housing provided by the government...but just don't throw everyone who needs public assistance into the same neighborhood.  I think gentrification is a great thing for neighborhoods (E. Nash and the Edgehill areas come to mind)...but maybe the government (us) should always purchase a few of those homes and allow low-to-no families to live there...as well as maybe help a few of the families with tax assistance to be able to stay in their homes.  I'm all for letting the market drive improvements in an area...but we're doing a disservice to everyone, rich or poor, when certain areas have only one income level living within it.  We end up helping to make certain areas unsafe and add despair to many.  I think it's difficult for the "rising tide to raise all ships" if some ships aren't in the same ocean.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, titanhog said:

But gentrification sometimes drives low-to-no income people out of a neighborhood because taxes rise on their homes.  I still would say there needs to be public assistance and housing provided by the government...but just don't throw everyone who needs public assistance into the same neighborhood.  I think gentrification is a great thing for neighborhoods (E. Nash and the Edgehill areas come to mind)...but maybe the government (us) should always purchase a few of those homes and allow low-to-no families to live there...as well as maybe help a few of the families with tax assistance to be able to stay in their homes.  I'm all for letting the market drive improvements in an area...but we're doing a disservice to everyone, rich or poor, when certain areas have only one income level living within it.  We end up helping to make certain areas unsafe and add despair to many.  I think it's difficult for the "rising tide to raise all ships" if some ships aren't in the same ocean.

Problem is, it doesn't really work. That's why you have "rich" neighborhoods, "middle class" or "poor." As soon as you include the latter in the former two, you're already destabilizing and lessening their value. From a cultural standpoint, people tend to prefer to live around those of similar wealth and values (well, not to say the poor wouldn't like to live with the former two groups, but the former two don't with the latter). The government shouldn't be in the business of providing housing as such. Like with virtually everything else it involves itself in, it never turns out well.

• Like 4

Look I know this site has a phobia with conservative politics and government but the topic IS a government project so if we are to discuss the merits of the development and whether it can meet its stated goals politics may need to be mentioned. sheesh

Can you imagine a discussion on this board of mass transit without the name Lee Beaman or the state legislature being criticized? Half the thread would be deleted...ha

6 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Look I know this site has a phobia with conservative politics and government but the topic IS a government project so if we are to discuss the merits of the development and whether it can meet its stated goals politics may need to be mentioned. sheesh

Can you imagine a discussion on this board of mass transit without the name Lee Beaman or the state legislature being criticized? Half the thread would be deleted...ha

No kidding. Of course, I admit to enjoying poking special snowflakes who get hysterical hearing viewpoints that actually jibe with reality. Someone freaking out over a comment that concludes government screws up almost everything it gets involved with probably ought to go to their safe place on the "Hello, Kitty" forum. <_< 

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, smeagolsfree said:

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, MLBrumby said:

Is that an old faded advert on the wall?   Sort of like the wall of the Trail West building that had the faded Uneeda Biscuit on the side.  

The more I look at this, the more I agree that this wall should not have been painted.  There is some serious grittiness to it that cannot be replicated other than time and the elements.  If I were a tourist wondering around the city and came upon that wall, I would be in awe of my good fortune.  Its reminds me of a Pollock painting.  They should have left this one alone.