Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

At the end of the day, I don’t think constituents care other than a price tag that will be sure to draw opposition without a public-private partnership (even if it ends up being more expensive in the end…)

Look… Greyhound buses can’t even lease out a portion of the parking deck for light rail in University City. It even appeared something was agreed upon and some constituents got it reversed… within a couple days…

Less than 1,000 people use Charlotte’s Amtrak a day. Maybe like 800. Red Line isn’t happening - at all in the form of rail. Silver Line doesn’t really matter. I’m super pessimistic about the silver line unless somehow Dems take a trifecta control of the state. The silver Line probably wouldn’t even be open during most of Amtraks arrivals or departures… but there just won’t be many people anyway even if there were good times. I’d bet less than 100 people/day. There’s not gonna be hardly any CATS local service so Silver line riders won’t really need Amtrak. It’s just on nobodies radar other than not wanting to give reason for a political challenger due to spending $ on an Amtrak station. Partnering with a private developer makes sense to the vast majority most likely (again, even though it’s most likely not cheaper… and most likely more expensive. But people won’t notice that) 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 9/25/2023 at 5:29 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

At the end of the day, I don’t think constituents care other than a price tag that will be sure to draw opposition without a public-private partnership (even if it ends up being more expensive in the end…)

Look… Greyhound buses can’t even lease out a portion of the parking deck for light rail in University City. It even appeared something was agreed upon and some constituents got it reversed… within a couple days…

Less than 1,000 people use Charlotte’s Amtrak a day. Maybe like 800. Red Line isn’t happening - at all in the form of rail. Silver Line doesn’t really matter. I’m super pessimistic about the silver line unless somehow Dems take a trifecta control of the state. The silver Line probably wouldn’t even be open during most of Amtraks arrivals or departures… but there just won’t be many people anyway even if there were good times. I’d bet less than 100 people/day. There’s not gonna be hardly any CATS local service so Silver line riders won’t really need Amtrak. It’s just on nobodies radar other than not wanting to give reason for a political challenger due to spending $ on an Amtrak station. Partnering with a private developer makes sense to the vast majority most likely (again, even though it’s most likely not cheaper… and most likely more expensive. But people won’t notice that) 

I mean, it seems Red Line might be happening now? That’s what the tone was in the other thread?

• Like 4

17 hours ago, kermit said:

Classic train stations were generally built by private companies (or consortiums of private companies) as monuments to the company and they were intended to serve essentially the same corporate purpose as Bank of America tower -- big fancy buildings intended to project status. Localities never had the financial juice (or motivation) necessary to build a monumental station. As a publicly owned corporation, Amtrak is basically prohibited from building these sorts of stations.

Ah, thanks. That explains one of the questions I had about London's various terminals. South Western and Southern lives from Watherloo, etc.  Such a shame competitors can't get together and build single one together and share space.  Perhaps that's not the entirely the reason for London's different terminals, but it does explain a lot. 

Sounds like it's the same all over the world.  

• Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 11:38 PM, Third Strike said:

This was posted on the transit subreddit and the slide was presented at the opening of the Brightline Station in Orlando. Note the CLT-ATL corridor on the map:

IMG_7470.thumb.jpeg.fcae440180eb305a94a1d786cedfd591.jpeg

It's interesting to me that brightline seems to have ruled out Jacksonville even though their parent company owns the right of way.  Charlotte to Atlanta would be excellent, Something I would definitley consider using a couple of times a year.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Third Strike said:

I wonder why NS would change their mind on potentially allowing passenger trains on their line. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t there some parts of the O-Line, between Charlotte and Winston-Salem, that’s been out of service for quite sometime? Maybe NS is hoping any passenger rail on this line means improving the line with federal funds? Either way, not complaining if this goes through, for both the Red Line and Amtrak service between Winston and Charlotte. 

Edit: Also find it interesting they would consider selling the line outright. I hope the NCRR/NCDOT jump on that, if that’s an option, even if passenger rail comes later. Also interesting that Winston has a better chance of a rail connection to Charlotte than Greensboro. Depending on the frequencies and the time, could open up some economic doors for people living in Winston that want to work in Charlotte. 

'i remember many, many years ago I had my hopes raised with those folks over an obsolete siding alongside our warehouse. Something along the lines of, "send us a proposal and we'll consider it as we're currently not needing it.."  Once my correspondence went to the next level it was killed.  It's like they want to have their options open, but ultimately have a policy of, once we have it, we'll never relinquish.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...