Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

Here is the CBJ story on the expanded Wilmore rail service center: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/12/amtrak-rail-yard-expansion-concerns-south-end-nc.html?ana=wsoc

Eric Spanberg says that the plan will close Summit, the plan shared earlier in the thread (which appears to be from NCDOT) shows that Summit will stay open. Hmmm...

(Spanberg usually gets these sorts of details right, but I really don’t think I am misreading the diagram posted above)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I disagree with a lot of things you said & I probably should be more respectful in giving a thoughtful reply but I’m so tired from work. 

Though I will say, it’s not so much about what Charlotte could have been. It is what it is - period. The past is the past. The Charlotte of today is what we have. 

My broader point is there are still sooo many laws that restrict what Charlotte can do. Some imposed by the state, some imposed by the city, Some imposed by the neighborhoods. But most annoying is the restrictions the state has on what policies Charlotte can pursue. Policies popular among Charlotteans and leadership but restricted by the state. I mean, NC purposefully crafted legislation in a very calculated way to halt transit expansion. Indiana just outright passed a law to ban rail transit (then they repealed it in an attempt to get Amazon HQ2.) 

Theres so many laws that very smart people drafted to sabotage certain urban areas. Im not saying how Charlotte should grow; rather, laws meant To restrict certain growth, initiatives or heavily subsidizing suburbs, automobiles, etc. In addition to housing policies, taxation etc. unfairly prevent certain initiatives from being achieved. I think the laws are more the reasons Charlotte is low density, will remain low density. Not because it was built in a different era. But because that laws intentionally make it so. 

The Silver Line hasn’t been sitting around and collecting dust because Charlotte can’t support rail transit because it grew up in an auto-centric era. 

The Silver has been killed indefinitely because the state passed laws designed to making funding it impossible. That’s a new law as of 2010 or whenever. I think rationalizations like the above are why Charlotte will not built the Silver Line. 

For the Silver Line, I view the issue differently:

CATS needs to find funding, to supplement federal funding, to pay for part of building the Silver Line.  CATS and some local leaders have proposed a sales tax increase for that funding.  The state legislature objects, as do some local leaders.  Without the state legislature’s approval, sales taxes cannot be increased.  The state legislature also has passed some legislation that adds complications.

I was involved in oversight of the Blue Line about 20 years ago.  If sales taxes cannot be increased, then obviously the solution to allow the Silver Line to be built is to find other sources of revenue (if costs cannot be cut).  Some additional federal funds may be available, but local governments would have to come up with the balance.   I would favor cutting other local spending and using some local funds instead for CATS, but not everyone would.

European countries face similar issues.  It’s not as though European transit systems just appear out of thin air and without the sausage-making that is part of the democratic process.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

^ It looks like its around 70 track miles from Star to NoDa. I am guessing the ACWR is mostly Class 2 track so passenger trains are limited to 30mph. This would make it an awfully long ride to Charlotte and back again (for a Christmas train).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, kermit said:

^ I got a laugh out of that too. Best I could figure is he saw the new Salisbury to Asheville route on the map and mistakenly assumed that Salisbury was going to be a new station.

Beat me to it.. Probably this

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/2021/04/05/amtrak-service-asheville-salisbury-possibility-joe-biden-american-jobs-plan/4850514001/

Savannah is the #2 container port on the east coast. Exports come from all over the interior central south and even the Midwest. It's followed by VA and SC in that order. But, the need for passenger train service to important harbors has been non-existent since the use of passenger shipping liners all but stopped in the mid-20th century. Atlanta is a DC-sized gorilla deep in the south. Any improvement in train service to the north for them, adds frequencies/better service for us.

Edited by DownEast
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2023 at 8:48 PM, Phillydog said:

Charlotte to Charleston should be a priority before Atlanta, GA.  Charleston and Norfolk are the most important harbors on the East Coast after New York.

The biggest obstruction to train service south is the state of SC. GA and the capital of the south to the second largest city in the south is CLEARLY more important route to the future of the growth of the region. Charleston is a relative backwater comparatively.