Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

1 hour ago, ajfunder said:

The fact that Charlotte-Columbia-Charleston is always left off these planning maps boggles me. Connect the largest City in the Carolina’s to the largest City in SC and what is probably one of the most popular Charlotte weekend/getaway destinations seems like a no brainer. Is that just me?

Who in their right mind would take the train over driving to the beach? It becomes even more of a no brainer if you're going as a family. On top of the fact that the Charleston Amtrak location is about as inconvenient for getting to the beaches as it could possibly be.

• Confused 1

On 9/1/2023 at 9:06 PM, TCLT said:

Who in their right mind would take the train over driving to the beach? It becomes even more of a no brainer if you're going as a family. On top of the fact that the Charleston Amtrak location is about as inconvenient for getting to the beaches as it could possibly be.

Back in the Brady Bunch days it was very common for kids and mom to head to the NC coast for the bulk of the summer, the wage earner would then shlep back and forth from the Triangle, Triad or Charlotte on weekends. The train would be super helpful for all of these trips and it would help me out 3-4 times a summer. Seems like this scenario might have a bit of a resurgence in the remote work era. This has historically been a pretty typical beach trip model in NC, although as yankees continue to gentrify the historically redneck portions of the coast, its less feasible. 

But yes, the Charleston (and Savannah) stations are stupid. The yall’qaeda in Columbia is never gonna pay for rail in SC.  Trains to Wilmington on the other hand will work. The Wilmington station will be walkable to downtown, and very handy for this type of trip for Pender, Onslow, New Hanover and Brunswick counties (about half the NC coast).

Beach aside, Wilmington is a city that has long struggled to create (and keep) professional jobs. A connection to Raleigh that is painless, and allows work to be done in route, would be a major boon to the city’s productivity growth -- it could become the Research Triangle coastal annex.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Back in the Brady Bunch days it was very common for kids and mom to head to the NC coast for the bulk of the summer, the wage earner would then shlep back and forth from the Triangle, Triad or Charlotte on weekends. The train would be super helpful for all of these trips and it would help me out 3-4 times a summer. Seems like this scenario might have a bit of a resurgence in the remote work era. This has historically been a pretty typical beach trip model in NC, although as prices on the coast go up, its less feasible. 

But yes, the Charleston (and Savannah) stations are stupid. The yall’qaeda in Columbia is never gonna pay for rail in SC.  Trains to Wilmington on the other hand will work. The Wilmington station will be walkable to downtown, and very handy for this type of trip for Pender, Onslow, New Hanover and Brunswick counties (about half the coast).

During the brady bunch days the interstate system wasn't as robust and complete and not every family had an SUV. I think the demand for taking the train from Charlotte to Charleston for a beach weekend would be vanishingly small, even if the station was in a convenient location.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, TCLT said:

During the brady bunch days the interstate system wasn't as robust and complete and not every family had an SUV. I think the demand for taking the train from Charlotte to Charleston for a beach weekend would be vanishingly small, even if the station was in a convenient location.

It's a shame we can't combine light commercial with passenger. I understand why, but still.

Edited by Windsurfer
spelling

21 minutes ago, jthomas said:

No, taking the train to a beach vacation doesn’t make much sense, unless you’re talking about a day trip (train to Wilmington + light rail to the Johnnie Mercer pier in Wrightsville would be a great combo). But downtown Charleston and Savannah are draws in their own right. A downtown rail terminal in both cities that enabled car-free city getaways would be hugely popular IMO.

I feel like there’s a massive overestimation of demand for rail trips on this forum. How many people realistically are going to be taking these city getaway trips you’re describing? Then, consider the fact that probably 95% or more of those people cannot access the rail terminals in any way but driving to them. Neither city is particularly accessible without a car outside a very small area with relatively limited things to do. And the train trip would not save much, if any, time vs driving. If you have to drive on either (but probably both) ends of the train trip, why would you not drive drive the whole thing? For anyone connecting from beyond Charlotte to get to Charleston the plethora of flight options are faster and probably cheaper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

It seems pretty clear that 100% auto dependence is unsustainable. We gotta start providing transportation alternatives somewhere, and these first alternatives are going to struggle for a while until the last mile infrastructure gets built out.

I agree with this but when you’re dealing with extremely limited funds to build out infrastructure there’s gotta be a better justification than theoretical, and most likely nonexistent, demand for intercity getaways and beach trips. I imagine (correctly I assume given this route’s exclusion from planned expansion) there’s plenty of other potential higher impact opportunities out there.  

5 hours ago, TCLT said:

I agree with this but when you’re dealing with extremely limited funds to build out infrastructure there’s gotta be a better justification than theoretical, and most likely nonexistent, demand for intercity getaways and beach trips. I imagine (correctly I assume given this route’s exclusion from planned expansion) there’s plenty of other potential higher impact opportunities out there.  

You’re right that places like Charleston and Savannah should not be the top priorities for expanding America’s anemic rail service given limited resources. But I agree with @kermitabout the need for alternative modes of transportation. Flying and driving are the best choice for many types of trip, but not all. There are many trips currently made by those two modes that would be better served by rail, if a frequent, reliable, and relatively fast rail alternative existed. In most cases, it does not, because rail has been starved of investment for 75 years in favor of highway and aviation infrastructure. That is the paradigm that needs to change. Those systems, while still needing maintenance and targeted upgrades, are largely mature. If we stopped pissing away billions on worse than useless highway expansion, and instituted the rail version of the interstate highway system with those funds instead, you would see a lot more travel by rail. And in that context, the secondary destinations become useful to serve. It’s the same reason why airlines serve places like Fargo or Shreveport - the network effect makes it worthwhile.

Edited by jthomas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jthomas said:

rail has been starved of investment for 75 years in favor of highway and aviation infrastructure. That is the paradigm that needs to change.

This is the biggest point though. IMO, long distance and intercity rail is a losing proposition unless and until the entirety of government policy and funding shifts from prioritizing suburban development, sprawl, and auto dependent land use to dense urban development and mass transit. Throwing token funds at incremental money losing routes is not going to meaningfully attract riders or change anything about American cities or transportation patterns. If we're going to continue in the current paradigm, then rail routes should be tied explicitly to local/regional transit investment and should really be confined to regional routes where trip times can actually be somewhat competitive with flying or driving. Outside of the northeast corridor of course which has proven to be able to support rail travel as a viable alternative transportation option. But then I guess the point of Amtrak isn't really to make money, so why not build out routes no one is going to use in the quixotic hope something will somehow change if we connect one more midsize city to the network.

9 hours ago, kermit said:

It will probably be a reasonable, but not spectacular, performer

Out of curiosity, how are rail routes judged on performance? Is it raw pax numbers, profitability, something else? Is any of that info public? I can't find anything in the reports Amtrak and NCRR put out.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, kermit said:

Nobody spends any time worrying about last mile connections from airports, why are trains materially different?

Flying provides a material time savings though. So that becomes an acceptable trade off. A couple random examples:

Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC: Driving ~ 7 hours, Flying (one stop) ~ 3 hours with layover, Amtrak (one change) ~ 12 hours (with layover)

Albany, NY to Denver, CO: Driving ~ 25 hours, Flying (one stop) ~ 6 hours with layover, Amtrak (one change) ~ 38 hours (with layover)

If you're spending that long to take the train, the inconvenience at the ends become much more pronounced and a bigger deterrent. And then I would guess most of the train trips people (would) take are within reasonable driving distance so are competing with a car trip which is door to door and fully in the traveler's control. That last mile makes a difference. The same trade off is not up for consideration for most air trips.

17 minutes ago, kermit said:

In general, most Amtrak routes are operating very close to capacity now (at ridership ceilings), and new frequencies would be the only practical way to increase ridership.

This is good news if true, but Amtrak's capacity is quite low so this isn't really saying much. Amtrak had about 23 million total passengers in 2022. Allegiant had almost 17 million, and they're one of the smallest airlines. The entire airline industry carried 853 million. No idea if there is similar data for interstates. But rail is not at the same scale as other modes of travel.

26 minutes ago, kermit said:

Amtrak generally talks about 'above the rail cost recovery'. It is basically operational costs + equipment costs but does not include the capital costs of the track (but I believe it includes the fees paid to host railroads which cover maintenance expenses). Just before Covid Amtrak was running at around 80% cost recovery system wide (IIRC). The Carolinian was nearly profitable, but revenue was limited because the siding where it is stored overnight in Charlotte is too short to add another coach. I believe all of Virginia's trains to the corridor (form Roanoke, Norfolk, Newport News and Richmond) are profitable above the rail. In general, most Amtrak routes are operating very close to capacity now (at ridership ceilings), and new frequencies would be the only practical way to increase ridership.

This is interesting info. Thanks. Always appreciate your insight and perspective on rail.

17 hours ago, TCLT said:

Flying provides a material time savings though. So that becomes an acceptable trade off. A couple random examples:

Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC: Driving ~ 7 hours, Flying (one stop) ~ 3 hours with layover, Amtrak (one change) ~ 12 hours (with layover)

Albany, NY to Denver, CO: Driving ~ 25 hours, Flying (one stop) ~ 6 hours with layover, Amtrak (one change) ~ 38 hours (with layover)

Yea, rail (at North American speeds) will never be competitive on trips much longer than 300 miles. I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

FWIW: I think your Charleston-Richmond train times are from Richmond Main Street station. This station only serves trains to and from the Tidewater at the moment (tracks are planned to eventually be rebuilt which will connect it to lines heading south). All trains heading south from Richmond only stop at the city's primary (and kinda suburban) station, Richmond Staples Mill (RVR). Trains from RVR only take 7 hours to Charleston. There are two trains per day, but, yea, one arrives at 4:48am...

image.thumb.png.d89e0f441c7b8d9a0b57d2d9749ac6b6.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Asheville passenger rail line plan sees positive responses from WNC Rail Committee:

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2023/09/07/asheville-amtrak-plan-to-be-released-this-month-needs-state-funding/70741363007/

Seems like Norfolk Southern is looking forward to participating in the study of the Asheville/Salisbury passenger rail project. That’s good news and I hope this project is successful in taking off. If the project does happen, CATS and Iredell county should really work together on expanding bus access to Statesville, with a stop at the Statesville rail station. Seems like a no-brainer, especially with the planned BRT route that’s supposed to run from Uptown to I believe Mooresville. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Asheville passenger rail line plan sees positive responses from WNC Rail Committee:

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2023/09/07/asheville-amtrak-plan-to-be-released-this-month-needs-state-funding/70741363007/

Seems like Norfolk Southern is looking forward to participating in the study of the Asheville/Salisbury passenger rail project. That’s good news and I hope this project is successful in taking off. If the project does happen, CATS and Iredell county should really work together on expanding bus access to Statesville, with a stop at the Statesville rail station. Seems like a no-brainer, especially with the planned BRT route that’s supposed to run from Uptown to I believe Mooresville. 

The current makeup of the Iredell County Commission doesn't want anything to do with CATS or  transit in general. Mooresville, Troutman, and Statesville maybe, but good luck on getting transit if you are looking for the Iredell County Board of Commissioners to support this is next to nonexistent.

• 3 weeks later...

I think if this red line plan actually is serious, we will see the station come to fruition, but maybe not the huge 4 tower project, something more like what’s in Raleigh. 

A redline with 30 minute headways would start really bringing volume into the station. I am assuming they don’t even know when the silver line will be built

• Like 3