Norfolk International Airport

willy

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I remember reading that when ORF was planning its current terminal, they looked somewhere in Greenbrier. Might’ve been the mall site. But in the early-70s that was all farmland, so it’s interesting to see how things would’ve looked with an airport off Greenbrier Parkway. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, BFG said:

Saw this rendering on the ORF Facebook page. Looks like the foreground off to the right is a new parking garage. I thought there was a third terminal but it looks like they expanded the original two for this rendering.

https://www.facebook.com/share/sAnPXcujkQDd3c8P/?mibextid=K8Wfd2

IMG_3789.jpeg

Saw that too. Don't think it'd preclude a third terminal since it would probably go in the green/grey space just above it. I just don't know why we need another parking garage, we already have like, 2 thousand spaces that weren't used during christmas lol. Maybe rental cars? (But so far away from the baggage claim?)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Hell, 5M might be possible this year. 

Agreed. With the increase in frequency I’m seeing for the summer months and the new routes I anticipate, fingers crossed!, I think 5 million is a probability not a possibility. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Can't wait to see all the celebrations going on in the Richmond forum when their numbers come in. They know they have beat us hahaha ...it makes their year.  

Did their numbers beat us last year? Also, with the way their year is turning out I wouldn't be so surprised if they did in fact beat/overcome our passenger numbers for the 2023 years. 

Congrats to all parties though. We beat our record last year, and I think thats all thats should matter at this time. Like I keep saying, RIC is over 100 miles away and it really shouldn't be seen as our main competitor. 

13 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

I’d love to see one new Airline and Non-Stops to Seattle and Portland this year. Provo (Salt Lake City) on Breeze would be another wish list.

Norfolk already has direct flights to Portland! And I hear Maine is perfect in the summertime.

😉

2 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Did their numbers beat us last year? Also, with the way their year is turning out I wouldn't be so surprised if they did in fact beat/overcome our passenger numbers for the 2023 years. 

Congrats to all parties though. We beat our record last year, and I think thats all thats should matter at this time. Like I keep saying, RIC is over 100 miles away and it really shouldn't be seen as our main competitor. 

They did not beat us last year. 

Passengers Served 2022:

RIC: 4,068,689

ORF: 4,115,537

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, BFG said:

Saw this rendering on the ORF Facebook page. Looks like the foreground off to the right is a new parking garage. I thought there was a third terminal but it looks like they expanded the original two for this rendering.

https://www.facebook.com/share/sAnPXcujkQDd3c8P/?mibextid=K8Wfd2

IMG_3789.jpeg

As for the parking deck in the foreground it was clarified on this segment from WTKR. That deck will be dedicated to rental car parking. The rental car companies will be relocated to the adjacent building to free up prime space in the terminal.

It looks like they are targeting direct flights to Canada, and the Caribbean, and have not given up on Europe.

https://www.wtkr.com/news/in-the-community/norfolk/4-major-projects-could-break-ground-at-norfolk-international-airport-in-2024-ceo

Edited by NFKjeff
  • Like 3