Norfolk International Airport

willy

• 2 weeks later...

https://onemileatatime.com/news/breeze-airways-losing-money/

Breeze is reportedly losing tons of money. 

On a related note, it’s ridiculous that they come and tout these new routes and destinations, but they only offer maybe 1 or 2 flights per week, and won’t operate in the fall/ winter. It’s really not functional, and maybe a part of why they are failing.

• Sad 1

On 8/8/2023 at 9:31 AM, varider said:

Breeze is reportedly losing tons of money. 

On a related note, it’s ridiculous that they come and tout these new routes and destinations, but they only offer maybe 1 or 2 flights per week, and won’t operate in the fall/ winter. It’s really not functional, and maybe a part of why they are failing.

It's their own fault. They cancel and delay routes before they even start. Even more, most people have no clue what "Breeze" even is. They have time to turn things around, but some big changes are going to have to take place.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

It's their own fault. They cancel and delay routes before they even start. Even more, most people have no clue what "Breeze" even is. They have time to turn things around, but some big changes are going to have to take place.

I agree! They could benefit from some more marketing 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 1:30 PM, BFG said:

Nearly 449K passengers in August, and a hair under 3M overall for the year. It looks like 4.5M is well within reach this year, if not close to 5M! Still hoping for an international flight soon. 

IMG_2087.jpeg

Excellent news!  
I agree that 4.8 million is an achievable goal for 2023 with 5 million another achievable goal for 2024. Unfortunately there are dark clouds over the horizon. American Airlines is looking at the serious possibility of a Flight Attendant strike! If that should happen it would bring what would be record numbers crumbling down. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find a specific proposal, but I did see this:

The ORF Hospitality Partners design was among three proposals the authority received. On May 18, it held a presubmission meeting and proposals were due by the end of June, according to the authority meeting agenda. The authority eventually whittled the proposals to two: ORF Hospitality Partners, which is led by LTD Hospitality Group of Virginia Beach, and another by Goldmin, a group that included Virginia Beach hospitality developer Bruce Thompson and Richmond-based Shamin Hotels.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/09/28/new-on-site-hotel-approved-for-norfolk-international-airport/?fbclid=IwAR14-nnTG6DdiP9YijNsriynD4jvZmbjSu9DnmQnJtpwzXHRw3RbN_OWG5c_aem_AbpywkB8bEegaAcaUo6HquwoA_5CTBnXOmM6Lh1P87sjDpJYeONBcaSQvNRRlNt3KMg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, vdogg said:

What was Thompson's proposal ( not sure I've seen it posted anywhere) and what do you think is wrong with this one? I think it looks pretty sleek, and seems designed to compliment the new terminal.

Agreed. I think this design fits in perfectly with ORF’s Brutalist architectural style. Was hoping for at least 200 rooms but I can live with 170ish they’re proposing. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 6:18 PM, Norf Native said:

It better look just like this when it gets built. I dont want our city getting duped again by a last minute design change. Overall this looks good and I like the little plane watching deck facing the terminals on top of the roof. Looks good!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 4:12 PM, vdogg said:

What was Thompson's proposal ( not sure I've seen it posted anywhere) and what do you think is wrong with this one? I think it looks pretty sleek, and seems designed to compliment the new terminal.

It's not a matter of this one being "wrong," per se.  Let's just let the FOIA request (or the voluntary release  of the alternative proposal after the ink has dried on this deal) play out ...and then you can tell me what you think.