Norfolk International Airport

willy

In perusing the "new" transformORF.com site, it would appear that project value has increased from 700M to 850M!  Also, the pretty jewelry and front and center/customer-focused upgrades--the new glass departures terminal originally scheduled to break ground this Spring and open in 2025/2026--has been given an indefinite or "future" designation re: timing. Hmm. Looks like they are prioritizing the Hotel, the runway refurbishment, the new international arrivals facility, a newly expanded and upgraded Concourse A, etc. The new departures facility with consolodated TSA checkpoint, streamlined and consolodated check-in, expanded and consolodated baggage area, etc., ...plus the new rental facility...are all still planned, but are now listed as TBA.       

Edited by baobabs727

3 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

In perusing the "new" transformORF.com site, it would appear that project value has increased from 700M to 850M!  Also, the pretty jewelry and front and center/customer-focused upgrades--the new glass departures terminal originally scheduled to break ground this Spring and open in 2025/2026--has been given an indefinite or "future" designation re: timing. Hmm. Looks like they are prioritizing the Hotel, the runway refurbishment, the new international arrivals facility, a newly expanded and upgraded Concourse A, etc. The new departures facility with consolodated TSA checkpoint, streamlined and consolodated check-in, expanded and consolodated baggage area, etc., ...plus the new rental facility...are all still planned, but are now listed as TBA.       

I am not an expert but would not be surprised if that's mostly because the rental car facility and new check-in/facade are more complicated projects and need time for design/review. The TSA consolidation might be tied to the check-in area so passengers only have to deal with such customer facing construction for a certain amount of time. I don't think we're at the worrying stage (yet)

Edited by Arctic_Tern

5 minutes ago, Arctic_Tern said:

I am not an expert but would not be surprised if that's mostly because the rental car facility and new check-in/facade are more complicated projects and need time for design/review. The TSA consolidation might be tied to the check-in area so passengers only have to deal with such customer facing construction for a certain amount of time. I don't think we're at the worrying stage (yet)

I agree. I think there’s a million moving parts with that part of the project. There’s going to be multiple projects within that single one. I’m just happy to see a dedicated website now.

18 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

I forgot the people movers.  The moving walkways are definitely on for 2025!

OK, so yes. The check-in and TSA are definitely part and parcel of the Terminal project. You are correct. They also happen to be the most customer-facing/customer-serving projects. Projects that the customers would notice, immediately and favorably so. Accordingly, I think that ORF delayed this project for strategic reasonsd. Or for design, as you stated. However,  I wonder if it's more than just design time ib/c the previous press reports included full renders and indicated that the new terminal was coming immediately...which would lead one to surmise that design was nearly finished.  Hmm.  

Anyway, I think ORF prioritized these various projects based on $$$ and immediate NEED...plus by mission critical designation and perhaps by highest strategic or competitive advantage--for growth. I think the Concourse A/International Gate and FIS (US Customs and Border Federal Inspection Station) were prioritized b/c RIC has just opened their new FIS.  RIC doesn't have any international flights yet, however.  YET.  Perhaps ORF is trying keep up or even out-pace RIC on the international routes front.  The hotel is an amenity that is long-overdue and one which would make ORF more attractive to both existing and NEW passengers...and existing and NEW airlines.  As for mission critical, the runway is at the end of its functional life, so it makes sense to move on that item with all due speed and alacrity.  

• Like 1

Norfolk International Airport shares most popular routes in 2023

Here are our top routes for 2023 according to this article

• Orlando International Airport (MCO) – about 308 passengers each day

• Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport – about 228 passengers each day

• Tampa International Airport – about 178 passengers each day

• DFW Airport – about 168 passengers each day

• San Diego International Airport – about 167 passengers each day

It also mentions that the Airport Authority is anticipating that we may run out of parking during the summer months as the airport will have a record number of seats available.  link

• Like 3

For anyone interested in aviation like myself, the Ex-CEO of Global Crossing Airlines is creating a new airline called Zoom Air. He intends to buy Breezes EJets and eventually follow the same path as breeze by purchasing the A220. 

I’ve also read a few things on reddit where bigger airlines like Southwest have been eyeing Breeze and Avelo. The delays from Boeing and Airbus have some airlines looking at other avenues to get new aircraft. Breeze happens to have a lot of them. 

The next couple years will be interesting for the Airline.

• Like 1