Norfolk International Airport

willy

Has anyone here opened their Gosh damned eyes yet and read wth the RIC people are saying abt us? First they call this a "War" and I just saw another comment saying (and I qoute) "eff ORF". They are bringing down their own members who are happy for ORF in the name of all things RIC. You can read my past comments in this topic and notice iv been trying to be neutral between RIC and our ORF but I dont understand what the hell the hostility is for. If your interested to read what im saying look at their forum. 

First we are called "annoying flies" and now they are telling us to F off blatantly. Anyways enough of my temper, happy we got a Puerto Rico route and this is quite literally an actual international route. Congrats to all parties and as always, hopefully we keep the ball rolling. 

EDIT-Luckily they have open minded members too. We love Richmond and hopefully vise versa, I just find it ridiculous that some people think otherwise. 

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BFG said:

Exactly. I don’t think ORF has ever offered a flight outside the 50 states. Hell, I don’t even think we’ve offered Alaska or Hawaii so I love this. I’m sure it won’t be the last flight announcement we see this year. 

Norfolk - Hawaii would be longer than a lot of international routes. That would be something to see.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BFG said:

Honest question: why are you paying them any mind? Obviously it’s not a competition but if they wanna have little brother syndrome over airport traffic, that’s their problem. 

Good question. I just dont like us taking slander like that. A good select few of them are taking crap shots at us just because we seem to be still in the race. Its alot of bark without bite, yet its also just plain rude and confusing to why this is happening. 

I dont have a good reason to pay them any mind, I just honestly dont like the crap talk. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2024 at 1:56 PM, mintscraft56 said:

Has anyone here opened their Gosh damned eyes yet and read wth the RIC people are saying abt us? First they call this a "War" and I just saw another comment saying (and I qoute) "eff ORF". They are bringing down their own members who are happy for ORF in the name of all things RIC. You can read my past comments in this topic and notice iv been trying to be neutral between RIC and our ORF but I dont understand what the hell the hostility is for. If your interested to read what im saying look at their forum. 

First we are called "annoying flies" and now they are telling us to F off blatantly. Anyways enough of my temper, happy we got a Puerto Rico route and this is quite literally an actual international route. Congrats to all parties and as always, hopefully we keep the ball rolling. 

EDIT-Luckily they have open minded members too. We love Richmond and hopefully vise versa, I just find it ridiculous that some people think otherwise. 

Yes, I read it all last night. Extremely entertaining. I mean, honestly, I needed a laugh, and they certainly delivered. One of their members is, well, hanging on mentally by a thread. Or seemingly so. If I were them I would call in a wellness check on that dude. 

On 1/24/2024 at 2:33 PM, BFG said:

Honest question: why are you paying them any mind? Obviously it’s not a competition but if they wanna have little brother syndrome over airport traffic, that’s their problem. 

"Little" being the operating word. 

• Haha 2

It reminds me of the beef Boston has with NYC. Like, we didn't even know they thought they were competing with us... We'd go to Boston and sight see, ya know? But they'd give us a hard time and it just seemed unyeilded. 

RVA in general has been picking up steam but you can tell them really felt in competition but honestly, rightfully so. The 7 Cities was pulling a lot of attention for some time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 11:56 AM, baobabs727 said:

https://www.wtkr.com/news/in-the-community/norfolk/4-major-projects-could-break-ground-at-norfolk-international-airport-in-2024-ceo

A $650-$700 MILLION TRANSFORMATION.   

2 PEOPLE MOVERS CONFIRMED, AND UP TO 4 PEOPLE MOVERS IN TOTO. IMPRESSIVE.  MULTIPLE SKY BRIDGES.   

People Movers are fun (and cool). These ofc will be a good edition to the airport. 

Speaking of People Movers, are we getting the longest one in the world again like we had before? Its nice to hold records. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

No, we are getting 4 Movers instead of 2. Sure being the longest in the world is cool, but it’s very expensive to maintain. 

IIRC the length of the old people mover caused it to be removed because it added excessive mechanical stress and lengthy and expensive repairs.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:42 AM, mintscraft56 said:

It a shame we wont get the longest in the world back. Maybe we can make these the fastest in the world instead :silly: (that would be terrifying). 

News outlets all the way in seattle reported the old one's removal. 
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/norfolk-airport-to-remove-walkway-once-worlds-longest/

I wanna ride the fastest people mover!  Maybe ORF could have the "fattest people mover" too!(I purposely placed the quotation marks broadly so... have fun with that)

• Haha 2

That's amazing growth in such a short time, not to mention we're also a hub for Breeze. Can't wait to see the expansion and hotel in the future, and hopefully our first international flight this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Great news! And that's an incredibly fast rate to get construction going for the project. A lot of positive momentum for the airport nowadays

My guess is we have a few Airlines wanting to start international service but we just don’t exactly meet the expectations for it yet. Probably fast tracked because we know that the business is there.

Breeze could even have a stake in it, we’re definitely in range for some international destinations with the A220. Even the E-Jets can get to Canada easily.

• Like 3