Norfolk International Airport

willy

7 minutes ago, walmartjamesbond said:

My guess is we have a few Airlines wanting to start international service but we just don’t exactly meet the expectations for it yet. Probably fast tracked because we know that the business is there.

Breeze could even have a stake in it, we’re definitely in range for some international destinations with the A220. Even the E-Jets can get to Canada easily.

Would love if that were the case, but realistically how soon could something like that open? I don't think I've seen a project as big as that get completed in less than like a year and a half (except for the new ODU stadium, and they paid a premium to ensure it got complete in an offseason)

10 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Would love if that were the case, but realistically how soon could something like that open? I don't think I've seen a project as big as that get completed in less than like a year and a half (except for the new ODU stadium, and they paid a premium to ensure it got complete in an offseason)

I agree, I bet on about a 2 year construction at minimum. It would be interesting to see if the Airport plans on using the current customs facility for anything in the mean time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Does that mean that ORF will be hosting a number of A220s, and if so what does that entail? Would ORF be the normal start/end points of a travel day, or is it more just where aircraft storage and maintenance would be consolidated? 

It means that ORF will operate A220’s as well as the ERJ (until they retire them.) We are going to be more like the other bases now like TPA and CHS. Expect new routes in the coming months too. I’m definitely betting on the Provo route.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, walmartjamesbond said:

It means that ORF will operate A220’s as well as the ERJ (until they retire them.) We are going to be more like the other bases now like TPA and CHS. Expect new routes in the coming months too. I’m definitely betting on the Provo route.

Is that meaningfully different than what has been the case so far? I know a lot of the fleet from here has been the Embraer but I took one of the A220's from Norfolk to Los Angeles last summer

EDIT: Of course the idea of even more new routes is AWESOME

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Is that meaningfully different than what has been the case so far? I know a lot of the fleet from here has been the Embraer but I took one of the A220's from Norfolk to Los Angeles last summer

EDIT: Of course the idea of even more new routes is AWESOME

Yes, mainly expect new routes that weren’t offered before because the A220 was based at another airport. This is a great start at longer international flights out of ORF since the crew can now be used for longer periods of time.

• Like 4

If I’m not mistaken January is one of the slowest months for ORF, if not air travel in general because it’s right after everyone spent for the holidays. If we’re seeing 300K in a slow month imagine how summer could look, barring any major issues. 

• Like 4

So I’m playing around on Breeze’s website and I notice that have daily departures from ORF to LAS for June-August! Then I see that they only have twice weekly service from LAS to ORF for the same period, June-August,…what the HELL? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

If ORF can(and I am hoping it will do even better) keep a 12% increase in passengers for the year it will put them at about 5.1M. With the additional service that's been announced thus far, I think we should surpass that. 

If I’m correct most of the new and returning (seasonal) routes don’t even begin until late Spring or early Summer so I’m betting a 12-15% increase is a reasonable goal.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...