Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

13 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Wyatt Center at Peabody College:

Peabody College Wyatt Center x.jpg

This was simply referred to as the "S-R" (Social - Religious) Bldg., when I was graduated from high school and commenced on stage in front of that bldg. in May 1969. My H.S. was part of the former college and had separated from it, prior to the college's incorporation into Vandy during the late '70s.  Historically, the name "S-R" remains as the "old school" moniker.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I really don't like to imagine driving thru west Kansas as I have done it in reality and don't want to do it again, as Kansas is the most boring drive in the country.

I think the drive from Salt Lake City to Reno might give it a run for it's money!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I think the drive from Salt Lake City to Reno might give it a run for it's money!

When I was in the Navy, the aircraft squadron I was stationed with would go to Fallon, Nevada every so often for Top Gun training. The drive from Fallon to Reno was the loneliest and most desolate drive. If I remember correctly, there were even signs along the highway that said something like loneliest highway in America. It reminded me of the type of place that one might be abducted by a U.F.O.

Edited by TNinVB
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

When I was in the Navy, the aircraft squadron I was stationed with would go to Fallon, Nevada every so often for Top Gun training. The drive from Fallon to Reno was the loneliest and most desolate drive. If I remember correctly, there were even signs along the highway that said something like loneliest highway in America. It reminded me of the type of place that one might be abducted by a U.F.O.

That sums it up perfectly!  Just mile after mile after mile of flat, brown, dusty, nothingness... not a soul in sight, not a sign of civilization for miles in all directions save for the occasional brothel or truck stop (sometimes one in the same) lol

Oh BTW, you need to take a drive on the extra terrestrial highway in Nevada. Nothing to see, but still loads better than hundreds of miles of treeless, fairly flat farmland.

Been on a lot of the roads out west and that drive from Denver to KC is grueling. At least there are tons of wind turbines to look at. I know this is off topic but I can't resist to complain about the drive from Montgomery to Mobile. Pine Trees and more pine trees. And more pine trees.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Oh BTW, you need to take a drive on the extra terrestrial highway in Nevada. Nothing to see, but still loads better than hundreds of miles of treeless, fairly flat farmland.

Been on a lot of the roads out west and that drive from Denver to KC is grueling. At least there are tons of wind turbines to look at. I know this is off topic but I can't resist to complain about the drive from Montgomery to Mobile. Pine Trees and more pine trees. And more pine trees.

That's the drive from anywhere to anywhere in South Alabama.

• Like 1

The light colored masonry in foreground right (Sudekum Building with the art deco Tennessee Theatre at first level) demolished about twenty years ago by none other than Tony Giarratana.  Everything in the next block (where the Library is now) is gone. You can see the side and rear of the old Paramount Theater. Behind that (to the left) is the 13/14 (?) story Sam Davis hotel which stood at the corner of Commerce and 7th. Demolished when Commerce was widened about 30 years ago.  To the left of that is the James Robertson Hotel with is still standing. Across 7th Avenue is the old Genesco HQ building which was demolished some time in the 1970s.  That's my stab at the question because I wondered the same thing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

I've not seen that photo, but this was the night Mount Love Circle erupted and lava flowed through the streets of Nashville.   This is how we lost the Sam Davis Hotel, the Paramount Theater, Sudekum building and other gems.    ;)

For some reason, Mount Love Circle makes me giggle. :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The light colored masonry in foreground right (Sudekum Building with the art deco Tennessee Theatre at first level) demolished about twenty years ago by none other than Tony Giarratana.  Everything in the next block (where the Library is now) is gone. You can see the side and rear of the old Paramount Theater. Behind that (to the left) is the 13/14 (?) story Sam Davis hotel which stood at the corner of Commerce and 7th. Demolished when Commerce was widened about 30 years ago.  To the left of that is the James Robertson Hotel with is still standing. Across 7th Avenue is the old Genesco HQ building which was demolished some time in the 1970s.  That's my stab at the question because I wondered the same thing. 

Thanks. That's really unfortunate...