Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

36 minutes ago, Ingram said:

What are you talking about? Visitors like Nashville when they see it. Where are these delusions coming from? The Nashville forum really seems to have people that have internal issues.

"I want our visitors to have a visceral experience when here."

Ok. So what specifically are you doing to ensure that. Complaining daily about Nashville?

I spent 7 years in the hotel industry. Many of our guests are not here for the typical entertainment offerings. I dealt with many from Europe and Asia on a daily basis. They were here for business, education, government meetings, healthcare initiatives and the like. They did not have the services they needed:

1) Efficient public transportation

2) Downtown Shopping and Retail

3) Groceries and open air markets

Some would go to the Farmers market, but they could not walk to this right out their front door. Other amenities that they are used to when they come major cities in the USA were not here. They are used to cities like NYC, and when they come here they do not have what they expected.

By visceral response, I am talking about the response one gets by visiting  a multitude of art galleries, grand civic spaces, public art, greenways and other amenities we are just now developing and building.

If you consider questioning and critiquing the same as complaining or being negative, then you simply miss my point. For too many years Nashville lagged behind other cities in addressing core cultural aspirations. Nashville only recently has embraced a more progressive approach to civic spaces, culture, city living, new urbanism, identity, and political and corporate structure and culture. This is something Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Dallas, and Houston have done decades earlier. I just think we should set our sights on things a little higher. I think we should embrace a new cultural relativism and a new way of aspirational thinking and philosophy.

Is that too much to ask?

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 2

The reason we encourage folks to come to the forum meets is so that you folks can meet each other. When dealing with someone face to face, it really helps us understand each other better. The written word does not convert emotion or lack of in many cases and what we write may be something that may not be intended. 

• Like 2

Progress on the 262-unit, 5-story residential complex being built by Proffitt Dixon Partnership at Taylor and Third Avenue North in Germantown. First, looking at NW corner of Taylor and Third:

Taylor and Third Ave. North 1 (NW corner), Feb.jpg

Looking at the SW corner of Third and Van Buren.

Third Ave. North and Van Buren (SW corner), Feb.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

Those murals are from the first phase of the hotel. The artist was a professor at APSU and all the faces on the people in the scenes are his student/assistants, one of whom I went to high school with (a thousand years ago). Hostedlar is a name that comes to mind as the artist's name, but the memory is shaky on that one. That series of doors in that lobby area originally led to a portico and out to parking.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Those murals are from the first phase of the hotel. The artist was a professor at APSU and all the faces on the people in the scenes are his student/assistants, one of whom I went to high school with (a thousand years ago). Hostedlar is a name that comes to mind as the artist's name, but the memory is shaky on that one. That series of doors in that lobby area originally led to a portico and out to parking.

More like Max Hostettler, but not exactly. He was my Professor at Austin Peay when I majored in art there many years ago. The year after I graduated, he received the commission to do this project, so I am not included in the mural. A lot of my classmates and professors were included and it is fun to see them 'immortalized' in this manner.

Max is an amazing artist. Some of his work is in the Cheatham County Courthouse, also.

The Opryland Hotel murals were, if memory serves me accurately, painted off-site and installed on property rather like wallpaper. The seams were then painted/blended to become almost completely undetectable. (I worked at the theme park next door through the construction of almost all the phases of development of the hotel.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The Opryland Hotel murals were, if memory serves me accurately, painted off-site and installed on property rather like wallpaper. The seams were then painted/blended to become almost completely undetectable. (I worked at the theme park next door through the construction of almost all the phases of development of the hotel.)

Where did you work? I worked in Food and Beverage up to 1974.

The Staybridge Suites site recently announced that will face 13th Ave. (frontage road along I-40) between McGavock and the Firestone store. No renderings available yet, but rumored to be anywhere from 8-12 stories for the 120 suites that are at least double the size of normal hotel rooms.

Looking north from corner of McGavock and 13th Avenue South (will be interesting to see if they might be able to incorporate those magnolia trees into the layout since they are on the corner and wouldn't be obstructing to much.  Perhaps they could call it "The Magnolia Staybridge Suites" to tie it all together.

Staybridge Suites lot A, March 2016.jpg

Looking south from corner of alley and 13th Avenue South.

Staybridge Suites lot B, March 2016.jpg

Looking east from corner of alley and 13th Avenue South (that is Adele's Restaurant behind the trees).

Staybridge Suites lot C, March 2016.jpg

Looking west from northeast corner of the lot towards 13th Avenue South and I-40 (recessed below ground level). That is Skyhouse under construction in Midtown on the right.

Staybridge Suites lot D, March 2016.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RonCamp said:

Chris, I think I saw you taking pics at the Music Row Roundabout as I was walking yesterday afternoon... sorry I didn't stop to say hello but was running late.  Love your shots as always.  Thanks for posting.

Its okay thanks I really appreciate it I don't mind I would take pictures every day if I could

9 hours ago, markhollin said:

The exterior of the Eakin office building in the Gulch is nearing completion.  It was announced yesterday that the building is already 70% leased.  Very good pace considering it is not slated to open until October.

Eakin Tower and 1212, March 2016.jpg

Eakin Tower, March 2016.jpg

Should have built it another few stories tall!