Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Article from the Tennessean on the occasion of the NHL All Star weekend coming up. 

When you look at how desolate that area of downtown was just twenty year ago, it's really quite stunning how it all has changed.  BTW: That is how DT was when I was at Vandy.  We did go to some Broadway dives, but not much... and more often we went to a couple of restaurants along Market/2nd.  That was it.  Otherwise we stuck pretty close to West End/Broadway/Elliston. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/columnist/dave-ammenheuser/2016/01/22/arena-took-downtown-nashville-eerie-epic/77092054/

1996-05-01T00:00 : 00.000-04:00

• Like 2

For the first time...ever...I'm realizing there is a huge swath of land...kinda pie-shaped...between Hermitage Ave and 2nd Ave just north of I-40 where that old pedestrian elevated crosswalk is and adjacent to Rolling Mill Hill.

For some reason, I had always pictured in my mind that Hermitage Ave somehow was east of Rolling Mill Hill...but it actually passes right by it...right?

The reason I bring this up is because now I see there is so much MORE land in SoBro when you add this big piece of the "pie."  In my mind, when I'd get off of I-40 and take the 2nd Ave exit, 2nd Ave was so much closer to Rolling Mill Hill...but there's a lot of land between the two.  

So...I have to imagine at least some of that land had great views and could be a whole other downtown development area one day soon?

Sorry for freaking out...but I've lived here 20+ years and feel like Columbus discovering America. 

centricskyline1*750xx1205-678-28-0.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, titanhog said:

For the first time...ever...I'm realizing there is a huge swath of land...kinda pie-shaped...between Hermitage Ave and 2nd Ave just north of I-40 where that old pedestrian elevated crosswalk is and adjacent to Rolling Mill Hill.

For some reason, I had always pictured in my mind that Hermitage Ave somehow was east of Rolling Mill Hill...but it actually passes right by it...right?

The reason I bring this up is because now I see there is so much MORE land in SoBro when you add this big piece of the "pie."  In my mind, when I'd get off of I-40 and take the 2nd Ave exit, 2nd Ave was so much closer to Rolling Mill Hill...but there's a lot of land between the two.  

So...I have to imagine at least some of that land had great views and could be a whole other downtown development area one day soon?

Sorry for freaking out...but I've lived here 20+ years and feel like Columbus discovering America.

centricskyline1*750xx1205-678-28-0.jpg

A lot of that is the Children's Theater, who were unwilling to sell, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Philip
  • Like 2

"A lot of that is the Children's Theater, who were unwilling to sell, if I'm not mistaken."

Most of the property from 2nd Avenue to Hermitage Avenue, between Middleton & Lindsley Streets (with the exception of the Academy Square condos) is Metro owned. The Nashville Children's Theatre is on that property along with numerous Metro offices spread across two large office buildings. I doubt that any of that would be offered up for sale to development anytime in the foreseeable future. FYI--our children's theatre is the longest in continuous operation anywhere in the United States!

27 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

"A lot of that is the Children's Theater, who were unwilling to sell, if I'm not mistaken."

Most of the property from 2nd Avenue to Hermitage Avenue, between Middleton & Lindsley Streets (with the exception of the Academy Square condos) is Metro owned. The Nashville Children's Theatre is on that property along with numerous Metro offices spread across two large office buildings. I doubt that any of that would be offered up for sale to development anytime in the foreseeable future. FYI--our children's theatre is the longest in continuous operation anywhere in the United States!

The part that is metro owned...will that be something that will likely be developed one day?  Since you can't see the land from the interstate, I just never really realized how large of a chunk of land that is until I noticed that photo I posted above.  Next time I'm near downtown, I'm going to drive up there and take a look around.

Ok...did a little digging on Google Maps and have a better understanding of the area.  There are definitely some incredible little historic homes up there that need to be protected.  Also...I see that the Children's Theater takes up a HUGE chunk of land with that giant parking lot.

Seems that everything from Lea Ave north is more "developable" because there doesn't appear to be any historic homes north of there.  I'm still going to take a drive over there soon.

On January 23, 2016 at 6:16 AM, titanhog said:

Ok...did a little digging on Google Maps and have a better understanding of the area.  There are definitely some incredible little historic homes up there that need to be protected.  Also...I see that the Children's Theater takes up a HUGE chunk of land with that giant parking lot.

Seems that everything from Lea Ave north is more "developable" because there doesn't appear to be any historic homes north of there.  I'm still going to take a drive over there soon.

The area is worth exploring.    Several of the historic homes along Lindsley Ave near the pedestrian bridge have been nicely renovated in recent years for commercial use.   The large Metro lots serve not only the Children's Theater but also Metro's  Howard School office complex.    The Howard School complex consists of the historic Howard School building and newer buildings that blend well with the historic.     The whole complex was renovated a few years ago and I don't see Metro letting any of it go any time soon.  

The Metro Fire Dept HQ also occupies a chunk of that property along Hermitage.     The only part of the land  near I-40 you are describing that holds possibility for development, I think, is the triangle between Lindsley, Academy and Hermitage Ave., which consists of several privately owned properties.   Also many of the properties north of Middleton on Rutledge Hill will see redevelopment (eg, City Lights).    I hope the few remaining historic houses, like the one Husk occupies, will survive.   

On the other (west) side of 2nd Ave, we're already seeing rapid change with these properties.     The Division St connector will  only accelerate that.  

• Like 3