Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

4 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Great shots.    I like the one of the Westin interior.    I noticed this, though.    Oops?    Could that have been intentional? 

Westin

That connection is odd...meeting at the point is intentional, but for the steel angles to extend that far away from the concrete column is odd, unless the steel angles are extending that far out for a curtain wall connection. 

30 minutes ago, arkitekte said:

That connection is odd...meeting at the point is intentional, but for the steel angles to extend that far away from the concrete column is odd, unless the steel angles are extending that far out for a curtain wall connection. 

Not sure 

Probably  not finished bolting it down

May be an optical illusion, in that the left beam that looks unconnected is perhaps the near side of that boxlike protrusion into the room.  That protrusion appears to be a few feet behind the concrete column. So in actuality the crossbeam at the left would not line up with the column.  Just a guess. At least, I really hope this building will be able to sustain a strong wind.  

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Riverfront and SoBro, around 1960.

1960 a.jpeg

I never knew there was a train terminal at the river, anyone know what that long two-story building is at the foreground left?  And what are those low-rise building across the street?  Is that the parking lot for the Market Street Apartments now?  And surprisingly, there are a lot of surface parking lots for that early in the expansion of the suburbs. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Paramount747 said:

It's amazing how some of those surface parking lots are still there today. Notice the one next to where the Hard Rock Cafe is now. Amazing it's been a surface lot for 55 years!

That's amazing!  You know, I honestly had assumed all this time that The Hard Rock Cafe demanded that be turned into a surface lot if the city wanted them there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paramount747 said:

It's amazing how some of those surface parking lots are still there today. Notice the one next to where the Hard Rock Cafe is now. Amazing it's been a surface lot for 55 years!

yes, and if you look close, it looks to be full of debris, and there is a piece of equipment in it. so what ever was there must have just been knocked down when this was taken. 

6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I never knew there was a train terminal at the river, anyone know what that long two-story building is at the foreground left?  And what are those low-rise building across the street?  Is that the parking lot for the Market Street Apartments now?  And surprisingly, there are a lot of surface parking lots for that early in the expansion of the suburbs. 

I think you're referring to the old Tennessee Central Railway Depot, demolished in the early '70s, now the grounds of the Amphitheater. I'm not sure what the building is across the street at 1st & Demonbreun. The stretch of buildings along 1st between Molloy to the bridge were likely just some non-descript warehouses, probably built within the past 3 or so decades of when the photo was taken, not really of much historic value. So, yes, those are now the parking lots for the Market St. Apartments. The late '50s is about the time the surface parking in the central core started to rear its ugly head, replacing in so many instances, priceless architectural gems.

Edited by fieldmarshaldj
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, volsfanwill said:

yes, and if you look close, it looks to be full of debris, and there is a piece of equipment in it. so what ever was there must have just been knocked down when this was taken. 

Oh ya know, probably just some stupid century old architectural gem.  No big deal.  Clearly, having a place to put seven cars is of far more importance.  <_<

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rookzie said:

That thing was the historic (and eyesore) "River Terminal", where TC railroad freight was trans-loaded between vessels and railcars.  It was demolished in the 1980s to make way for Riverfront Park.. About twenty years later, the historic carousel was suddenly moved from the park so construction could begin on the Music City Star Station.  The actual Tennessee Central passenger Depot had bee located just south (left) of the Shelby Street bridge, on the site which later would become the Nashville Thermal Transfer Plant.

In the photo below, what used to be Acme Feed on the SW corner (lower-left street corner) of that intersection shown (First.Ave. and Broadway) and nearly all those warehouses in the next block on the left. And although it had been partially re-aligned over time, that TC street lead and stub upside those warehouses shown, actually had remained in service into the very early 1980s, when that part of First Ave. still had exposed granite cobblestone (and you still could have fun and "peel out" on slippery rails and cobble).  Way back, motorists on First Ave. had to dodge both Nashville Railway and Light Company streetcars (the track on the left, rounding the corner) and Tennessee Central Railway freight trains shuttling between River Terminal (at right) and the TC's yard, located about a mile east.  Nashville Railway and Light Company was controlled by TEPCO, which became absorbed in 1939 into the TVA (Tenn. Valley Authority).  The bridge in the upper-right background was the old Woodland Street bridge, demolished around 1966 for replacement.  Photo circa 1938.

-==-

MLBrumby had me confused, he queried about the building on the left, so I thought he was asking about the old T.C. RR depot building at the end of Demonbreun at 1st, not the old Terminal building at the end of Broadway on the right. As my parents & I used to go downtown almost every weekend in the '70s and '80s, I have fond memories of running around the Terminal building floors (which would sometimes flood on the river side, and were always caked with river mud).

Folks that remember the old Cumberland River cruiseboats (the small ones, not the Gen'l Jackson) might recall they had to carefully navigate the often muddy mess from 1st down to the lower level of the building to board the boat.

Regarding that wonderful 1938 photo, as you pointed out, some of those similar railcars and the stub were still there 4 decades later. I used to play on those railcars parked on 1st and have some photos of myself as a youngster sitting on them. Folks don't realize just how "dead" it was down there on the weekends. It was like visiting a ghost town, but fun for me as a kid, nonetheless. I loved the old rails and exposed cobblestones in the street. That always meant old "urban" to me and I still loved finding those bits and pieces when I was able to travel.

• Like 4