Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I do think a widened sidewalk and/or a median planted would be much improved over what is there.  You cannot walk easily due to the crowds.  Chicago is a great example of concrete planters with low iron fences on many of the major streets and it works and looks great.  I do know that some of the Church St. planters have been damaged and can't understand how/why they do not keep them up and repair.  If someone damages them for whatever reason, they are responsible and should be held accountable.  Of course, the homeless do some damage and you can't get anything from them, but the city must have contingencies to repair and keep things looking good.  I especially home they have plans to keep Stix on the roundabout and the new Ascend area safe and kept up to standards. 

• Like 2

I do think a widened sidewalk and/or a median planted would be much improved over what is there.  You cannot walk easily due to the crowds.  Chicago is a great example of concrete planters with low iron fences on many of the major streets and it works and looks great.  I do know that some of the Church St. planters have been damaged and can't understand how/why they do not keep them up and repair.  If someone damages them for whatever reason, they are responsible and should be held accountable.  Of course, the homeless do some damage and you can't get anything from them, but the city must have contingencies to repair and keep things looking good.  I especially home they have plans to keep Stix on the roundabout and the new Ascend area safe and kept up to standards. 

Agree, I've admired the planters and iron fences that line Michigan Ave., and am always impressed with the choice of grasses, ornamental trees and other plants in them.    I'm sure they get damaged too from time to time, but they get fixed.    Because someone in Chicago thinks it matters.   And it does.  

• Like 3

The city seems only to respond to cries for regularly blasting away the pigeon desserts from the trees in those planters, lest some some of the swaggers spin off on it and complain (or worse).  I realize that the planters along N. Michigan are much wider, because the sidewalks (and the street itself) is are much wider than Church, so there no latitude for much if any change in layout.  A lot of the damage also has to do with the choice of design.  Use of the newer "cast limestone" and of concrete for the rather narrow dimensional structural components with what remains of the railings along Church and on Capitol Blvd. is much less durable than the wide granite monoliths used on many (if not most) planters along Michigan Ave.  Also the use ample extents of radius edges and corners for monoliths and the selective mounting of railings away from direct anchoring into the stone would significantly minimize chipping and  fractures due to being struck or abused by pedestrians or even by snow-removal equipment.  Some damage also appears to be attributed to freezing within cracks around core-drilled anchors within rather narrow material to start.
-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

It is ridiculous, isn't it? Two lanes each way, no parking, a small median with a 2 foot tall planter to keep people from crossing in the middle of the street, and planters or a solid, permanent or semi permanent fence along the sidewalks. Add turn lane cutouts in the median, and you end up alleviating traffic most likely.

Chris, I hope you don't mind that I used your photo for the base for this doodle. If you do, let me know and I'll remove it.

broadway.png

That is exactly what is needed and seems to make so much sense, just fail to understand how we can place so much emphasis on tourism, yet something this simple would make a huge difference in the look and feel without taking away the neon and honky tonk feeling/

• Like 1

It is ridiculous, isn't it? Two lanes each way, no parking, a small median with a 2 foot tall planter to keep people from crossing in the middle of the street, and planters or a solid, permanent or semi permanent fence along the sidewalks. Add turn lane cutouts in the median, and you end up alleviating traffic most likely.

Chris, I hope you don't mind that I used your photo for the base for this doodle. If you do, let me know and I'll remove it.

broadway.png

Just my opinion, but I think it would be awesome to have a tall building at the end of Broadway with a huge electronic board like New York's time square.  Make shift stage at the bottom for NYE parties or "concerts on Broadway".  I know people will miss seeing the roller coaster art work but something at the end would be cool.  Maybe a visitors center at the bottom.  The location can take up the current drive semi-circle where the tour buses stop.  

• Like 2

Just my opinion, but I think it would be awesome to have a tall building at the end of Broadway with a huge electronic board like New York's time square.  Make shift stage at the bottom for NYE parties or "concerts on Broadway".  I know people will miss seeing the roller coaster art work but something at the end would be cool.  Maybe a visitors center at the bottom.  The location can take up the current drive semi-circle where the tour buses stop.  

Perhaps something you can look through, then, like one of these.    (if the Cumberland is going to be the Seine, then why not our own Arc de Triomphe?  just sayin') 

arc%20de%20triomphe%20(pressefoto).jpg

• Like 3

I've admired the planters and iron fences that line Michigan Ave., and am always impressed with the choice of grasses, ornamental trees and other plants in them.    I'm sure they get damaged too from time to time, but they get fixed.    Because someone in Chicago thinks it matters.   And it does.

I've been impressed with the landscaping, foliage, flowers, etc. in the new Riverfront Park.  Hopefully Metro Parks Dept. will keep this up as well as incorporating more greenery and flower beds in other parts of downtown.  It has become an exceptional tourist attraction, and needs to be given regular attention to keep renewed visits in place (as well as making it nice for all us folks who live here and frequent the area often). 

• Like 2

Another item Metro needs to consider is adding signs for pedestrians to wait on the walk light. It seems to me to be the source of confusion to our out of town guest when they have a green light and a don't walk.

This is true.  There is so much confusion when the traffic has a green light and pedestrians do not... it creates a lot of unsafe situations.   

That was the plan in 1975 with The Nashville Tower. It was to be a 750 foot tall observation deck built at the time the "new" vision for Lower Broadway was a dream of then Mayor Richard Fulton. It obviously never materialized.

• Like 1