Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I have ten, not necessarily in order, although my top three include Buckingham Gulch, The Aertson and Utopia Hotel.

And the Aertson/Kimpton Hotel project is another game changer for Mid-Town. The massing along the street is unlike any building in town or few if any in other towns. There are three different architectural designs at play with the five story section shown in the being my favorite.

I love the mass of this project.

• Like 1

1. 505 CST - Because that's one less parking lot downtown, even if this isn't my favorite incarnation of the building.

2. JW Marriott - Design, street activation, not a box.

3. Bridgestone HQ - This thing is gonna be a beast, and I, for whatever reason, like cutouts in buildings. Also adds tons of massing to SoBro.

4. Noel Hotel - Brilliant.

5. One C1ty - It might as well be Bucksnort, but I think One C1ty has massive potential to draw some of the healthcare out of WillCo and into Nashville. While not as grandiose as Capital View, I think there is serious potential for a very visible project from 440.

Edited by dmillsphoto
  • Like 4

Excellent lists and I agree with all of the reasoning, so not a whole lot to add in my own list.  But what the heck:

5. Greenwood Villages at Hobson. Because it is 100' from my house, will be an impressive historic adaptive reuse, and should draw a very nice restaurant to the neighborhood.

As obscure as it is to most posters and to the UP audience as whole, that Hobson thing really fascinates me, even though I don't live anywhere close to it.  I've passed it way too many times during the last 14 years to not want to keep track of if. -==-

• Like 1

I have 57 favorites. This is the total amount of buildings from 7 to 45 either under construction or proposed in Davidson County. I will post the list this weekend or Monday. I have it, but I need to wait for something to happen first.

so you saying there's something to add to the list soon??

I have ten, not necessarily in order, although my top three include Buckingham Gulch, The Aertson and Utopia Hotel.

10%20Best_zpsdnqwt8pt.jpg

The Thompson just so elegantly fills up a negative space with its curvature and massing on 11th. It will activate the street in that part of town even more.

The Noel Place addition is incredible. It is as if the building walls were torn away to reveal the steel skeleton beneath. It's almost art.

The Utopia should get national recognition for its re-use of two of the finest 19th century structures in the City. It should keep Printers Alley going strong.

The Bridgestone will change the skyline with both its height and bulk. It will be a metaphor for Nashville's growth as a home for business and technology and not just tourism related development.

The JW Marriot will also be a skyline changer with its 'South Beach' look on a prominent hill.

The Buckingham in the Gulch is yet another skyline changer. The SOM designed building presents an almost corporate office look in the Gulch, but I find the massing and height to be appropriate for this game changing project. I hope this has burst the glass ceiling of height restrictions for the entire City.

The ten story Capitol View Office/Hotel is another 'filling the negative space perfectly' project. The use of durable materials on the facade gives it a more urban presence than a glass box.

And the Aertson/Kimpton Hotel project is another game changer for Mid-Town. The massing along the street is unlike any building in town or few if any in other towns. There are three different architectural designs at play with the five story section shown in the being my favorite.

I really like the Crescent Apartments. I know its a 'stick and stucco' type building, but the impressive rendering indicates possible extensive use of brick or stone. A major appeal is the location; this really ties Mid-Town to Downtown. It would be on my recommended walking tour as it avoids the urban deserts just north.

The Virgin Hotel is back and its appeal is not just the funky Euro look, but the notion that its a Richard Branson favorite. It gives major validation to the notion that Nashville is an international, cosmopolitan player in the world and more than just the home of 'Country and Western' music. We are the third coast. This building makes a nice trophy in the City's trophy case.

And finally....no further comment. We all know where we stand on this.

Has the Utopia hotel project already started? And what is it's address?

1) 505 for the tallest occupied floor, and architectural elements.

2) Bridgestone for the architectural elements, and mass at the street level along with the sheer size of the curtain wall.

3) Sobro for the curvilinear design. Its very European and gets us out of the proverbial  Nashville Glass Box

4) Pedestrian Bridge for a multitude of reasons.

5) Sticks for a multitude of reasons.

Buildings I left off:

1) Westin. Nothing very special about it. It's utilitarian .

2) JW Marriott. Architecturally significant, but not a done deal yet.

3) 222 2nd Avenue. Nothing very impressive in height or design. Not a done deal.

4) 38 Story Buckingham Tower. Not a done deal.

so you saying there's something to add to the list soon??

I just keep a very detailed list of projects and I just ran the numbers. I should have done this a while back but just thought it would be too much work, however it only took me about 15 minutes, mostly from memory. This would include all proposed and under construction.

I did include the second and Demonbreun project as well as the Mazda site, which we do not have the floor count but will be large either way.

Midnight Thompson hotel concrete pour

Thompson_Pumper.thumb.JPG.a8b0b77cf01a82

Careful, Chris.  I just might have to steal that concrete-pumper snorkel pic (with photo creditz).  I might even blow it up and mount a print of it in my den, along with some of the other drama you've "generated", so to speak..
-==-

• Like 1