Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

For those that can't tell, by the way, this statue is at the right-field entrance of First Tennessee Park on 5th Ave. N. The odd looking spiral in the background is part of the new ballpark parking garage currently under construction.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 2

Along interstate lines to Franklin and Gallatin??!!  Huh?  Do these people even understand what light rail is and how it works?  I mean, running it along the interstate to the suburbs is fine I suppose if those are just extensions that connect to an existing larger inter-city rail system, but if the beginning and the end of their plan is just to run a couple half-baked lines along the middle of the interstate only to stop randomly at a point on the interstate somewhere near downtown, then that'd just be a massive waste of money, in my opinion, and would completely miss the point of building a light rail system in the first place.  A light rail system should be seen an alternative way to get around the city first, and as traffic relief (a distant) second, in my opinion.   

Also, thanks for posting the article jkc2j, and welcome to the forum! ;)

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Along interstate lines to Franklin and Gallatin??!!  Huh?  Do these people even understand what light rail is and how it works?  I mean, running it along the interstate to the suburbs is fine I suppose if those are just extensions that connect to an existing larger inter-city rail system, but if the beginning and the end of their plan is just to run a couple half-baked lines along the middle of the interstate only to stop randomly at a point on the interstate somewhere near downtown, then that'd just be a massive waste of money, in my opinion, and would completely miss the point of building a light rail system in the first place.  A light rail system should be seen an alternative way to get around the city first, and as traffic relief (a distant) second, in my opinion.   

Also, thanks for posting the article jkc2j, and welcome to the forum! ;)

What you've said is true; in theory, however, Nashville has quite the different landscape (infrastructure, sprawl, grid system, etc.) than most cities that we would pull an example of light rail from, particularly as in how it connects people in an extremely urban district or a downtown. We all want to be able to jump on a train down on West End and be in the Gulch or SoBro in 8 stops, but we've seen that that won't be a possibility in the near future, if ever. 

What folks in Nashville want (okay, Nolensville, Brentwood, Franklin, Clarksville, etc.) is a way to get to Nashville, preferably downtown, Gulch, airport, etc. and back without having to drive or sit in traffic for an hour in the evening. This is where the obvious need is seen. The need for light rail connecting SoBro to Germantown or West End to East Nashville  is assumed right now. [I'm curious] What's Nashville's urban population? I'm talking people who live within the loop in dense neighborhoods. While a large number, I'm not assuming this would be "significant daily ridership", at least not enough to justify 600 Million on light rail (I personally think it's needed and will be needed in the future, but I understand the ridership/money numbers as to why it *might not make sense*). Of course there's folks shopping, Vandy ppl, concert goers, Preds fans, Titans fan, etc. that will ride, but these need to be in addition to the people packing this thing on their routine daily commute. 

Think this: 3 lines that bring an average of [insert number] riders into the core each day. How do these people get from the end of the line to their place of work or hotel, etc. without walking 1.5 or 2 miles? This is where light rail or BRT (I'm opposed to this completely, but that's another ramble) comes into play. 

Nashville might be doing this backwards by most standards, but the second mouse gets the cheese. 

• Like 1

What's Nashville's urban population? I'm talking people who live within the loop in dense neighborhoods. While a large number, I'm not assuming this would be "significant daily ridership", at least not enough to justify 600 Million on light rail (I personally think it's needed and will be needed in the future, but I understand the ridership/money numbers as to why it *might not make sense*). Of course there's folks shopping, Vandy ppl, concert goers, Preds fans, Titans fan, etc. that will ride, but these need to be in addition to the people packing this thing on their routine daily commute. 

The 2010 estimated population for the 33 census tracts bounded by 440 to the south and west and 40 to the north on the west side of the river and by 24, Briley Parkway, and the river on the east side (greater East Nashville) is 114,026. Many of these tracts have seen a lot of growth since 2010.

http://www.census.gov/2010census/popmap/

Edited by Nashville Cliff
clarification
  • Like 2

This probably needs to be moved to another thread fast, before Ron, Kevin, or Daniel steps in to remind us, as reference to that article already has been made in the Trans thread by another member.

I will say, while here now and still guilty as charged, that the article does mention briefly and generally "as well as trips within Davidson County" in the dialog of discussion.  Light rail (LRT) can still perform a dual role as a core-urban connector, as well as longer-hop commuter movement, if scalable comprehensive expansion is planned early on. Both LRT and HRT systems built as start-ups during the last 40 years have tended to be better performers, in terms of overall passenger-route utilization, if they serve some of the distant sprawl as well as inner local point-to-points, rather than serve merely as pure commuter-rail, in the case of true railroad-compatible commuter trains.  What lends the concept of LRT to versatility is its adaptability to hybrid use, just as TriMet MAX has been for LRT in Portland OR. Portland has decided to utilize streetcars as circulators in most recent years in the core (on both sides of the river) to connect with MAX at several points, without having to have transfers at a central terminal, and that makes it that much more versatile.  Inherent shortcomings of MAX is that it does not serve outlying corridors extending distances along primarily Interstate paths, as would be to Gallatin, Murf., and along I-65 South, say to Spring Hill.  And Portland's single-line true commuter-rail (WES) line does not even come close to its downtown, and instead it connects to MAX at an outlying point

In any event, light rail has to be tailored to any region, and it's probably more physically amenable to the current and projected state of Middle-Tenn. and more bang for the buck, than conventional commuter rail ("MCS"-style push-pull or self-propelled Multi-Unit), because the routes would not have to terminate at a "depot" or a point beyond downtown.  Rather, they could traverse DT, without tunnels and could provide 2-way travel along two arterial spokes at a time for any designed route, based on regional travel patterns, and if conditions warrant, an inbound along one arterial could be implemented during peaks to divert to a different outbound.  In this scenario, the radial "spokes" of logical movements could be leveraged to an advantage, although it would require adequate land area for LRT turns from one roadway onto an intersecting street.  Portland has shown that grade separation in the CBD is not necessary (given that traffic can be controlled adequately with 1-way streets).  It might even be feasible utilize a combination of Interstate and some existing wide State roadway RoW.  During all our lifetimes, super-costly HRT is out of the question. -==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2