Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

1 hour ago, BeaveStirs said:

Unfortunately I believe that is the new substation building and it will be staying.

That kinda makes sense. This is what I had to dig up that made me think about the Concourse D expansion (see the very bottom of the quoted image). It looks kinda like the concourse would narrow up significantly to get around the Central Utility Plant. I do wonder what all that land prep is for - in that specific manner - if the additional gates aren't anticipated to be developed.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:06 AM, LA_TN said:

BNA Vison 2.0 (please note that the Concourse D additional gates are NOT expected to ever be developed)
1588583541_BNA-Vision2.0.thumb.jpg.18ad9087b0e61f983687ed2bb860b7b3.jpg

It almost feels like low hanging fruit (albiet very expensive low hanging fruit) to go ahead and expand Concourse D.

It is still mind blowing to me that BNA serves all these gates (present and future) from a single security checkpoint. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

That kinda makes sense. This is what I had to dig up that made me think about the Concourse D expansion (see the very bottom of the quoted image). It looks kinda like the concourse would narrow up significantly to get around the Central Utility Plant. I do wonder what all that land prep is for - in that specific manner - if the additional gates aren't anticipated to be developed.

It almost feels like low hanging fruit (albiet very expensive low hanging fruit) to go ahead and expand Concourse D.

It is still mind blowing to me that BNA serves all these gates (present and future) from a single security checkpoint. 

Concourse D expansion is full steam ahead. They have to make room to close A for that rebuild. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/26/2024 at 7:21 PM, Chato_reyes said:

I do have an observation about the departure lounges in the T gates, they are awfully small for 200+ passenger trans-atlantic aircraft. Did BA keep their gate in the B gates and the idea is these are just for arrivals?

This is pure speculation, but it's entirely possible that was intentional. Smaller gate lounge areas means that passengers will be more inclined to utilize the concessions in the airport, waiting at a bar or visiting gift shops, instead of sitting in a cramped, crowded gate waiting area.

• Like 2

Flew into BNA last night around 6 pm and the traffic in the pick up lanes was a total  cluster f__-k! There are four lanes of pick up traffic outside baggage claim, then four lanes on the upper level for dropping passengers off.....each of the four lanes merges into two on each level, then those two lanes on each level, merge into two.  It took my ride one solid hour after arriving to finally pick me up and another hour to get to Green Hills once I was in the car!!!! The planning on this part is a complete disaster with little apparently that can be easily fixed.  The new terminal is beautiful, it appeared each restaurant was packed to capacity on D concourse and in the main terminal, but the ingress and egress is about as poorly planned as can be. 

Edited by GreenHillsBoy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I truly believe that their hope is that Metro will team up , and  a light rail line will eventually be built to Downtown. The vision from the beginning was better connectivity to address this issue. Again a prime example of missed opportunities, and an infrastructure failure. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

Flew into BNA last night around 6 pm and the traffic in the pick up lanes was a total  cluster f__-k! There are four lanes of pick up traffic outside baggage claim, then four lanes on the upper level for dropping passengers off.....each of the four lanes merges into two on each level, then those two lanes on each level, merge into two.  It took my ride one solid hour after arriving to finally pick me up and another hour to get to Green Hills once I was in the car!!!! The planning on this part is a complete disaster with little apparently that can be easily fixed.  The new terminal is beautiful, it appeared each restaurant was packed to capacity on D concourse and in the main terminal, but the ingress and egress is about as poorly planned as can be. 

I wonder what percentage of the locals stuck in that traffic, and no doubt rightfully complaining about it would also say that they think mass transit investments are a "boondoggle" and a waste of money that will only benefit the most impoverished among us?  A tram line from BNA to Music City Station downtown would be packed twelve hours per day on most days, I have no doubt.  But we can't have one because too many people have their largely irrational hang-ups about riding on a bus/train.  So frustrating.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

Not a tram line, but a BRT line along Murfreesboro Road. I am not sure this is going to be a great fit. They say it will be in a dedicated lane, but I will bet that is going to be a mess in itself along some of the more narrow parts of that road. When running the speed limit on I 40 it is a ten minute drive but this will take 20 to 25 minutes. A direct rail express would work better but that is too expensive of course. 
Nashville will continue to do things half ass as it has always done.

Not sure how many stops it will have either. It should have zero.

• Like 4

Half ass is right! BRT should have been 15 years and 300,000 less people ago. When are the people around here going to wake the hell up!! Nashville has and continues to grow into a major city and the majority still insist it’s Mayberry, What kinda blinders are they wearing. BRT isn’t the way to go, I’m sorry for all the fans of this thought process, it’s just throwing money down the toilet. Those buses will be stuck in traffic regardless if they have dedicated lanes, it’s just a scam and diversion from what really is necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The only way this should happen (zero stops between airport and downtown that is) is if it is paid for by BNA and the Visitor and Convention Corp. Metro could grant them use of a dedicated lane along Murfreesboro Pike presuming WeGo buses get all priority. Building a dedicated lane that only connects BNA to Downtown and nothing inbetween would be the definition of half assing it.

BRT from the airport to downtown should not be an exclusive downtown connection. It should be a connection between the two, that services the communities in-between the two.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

Half ass is right! BRT should have been 15 years and 300,000 less people ago. When are the people around here going to wake the hell up!! Nashville has and continues to grow into a major city and the majority still insist it’s Mayberry, What kinda blinders are they wearing. BRT isn’t the way to go, I’m sorry for all the fans of this thought process, it’s just throwing money down the toilet. Those buses will be stuck in traffic regardless if they have dedicated lanes, it’s just a scam and diversion from what really is necessary. 

I disagree with you that BRT is a scam that has no place.  If done CORRECTLY <key word, it can be extremely effective and functions more or less as a light rail line would for a fraction of the cost, and has proven as much in quite a few cities around the world (Bogota jumps to mind immediately.)  However, when it comes to Nashville specifically and it's apparent cultural aversion to bus travel, I agree completely with you that BRT would not be money well spent.  In a few places, sure, but a system in which BRT is the lynch pin?  In this city it's just going to fall flat, I fear.

27 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The only way this should happen (zero stops between airport and downtown that is) is if it is paid for by BNA and the Visitor and Convention Corp. Metro could grant them use of a dedicated lane along Murfreesboro Pike presuming WeGo buses get all priority. Building a dedicated lane that only connects BNA to Downtown and nothing inbetween would be the definition of half assing it.

BRT from the airport to downtown should not be an exclusive downtown connection. It should be a connection between the two, that services the communities in-between the two.

Agreed that any line should have stops along the way servicing the communities it travels through.  Having an express line to downtown would basically just signal that mass transit is for tourists, and that the city puts the needs of tourists above those of native Nashvillians.  Each stop would only be, what,  30-45 seconds anyway so it's not like they would keep it from still being a quicker and easier alternative to driving to the airport. 

• Like 2

As a former employee of Hilton, I can only say well done!

Particularly like the front desk/lobby area.

Just a thought, how about a bar area called the Cornelia Fort Lounge? Or maybe since the airpark is closed just rename the entire airport Cornelia Fort International Airport?

Edited by bnacincy
content

On 3/1/2024 at 1:49 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Not a tram line, but a BRT line along Murfreesboro Road. I am not sure this is going to be a great fit. They say it will be in a dedicated lane, but I will bet that is going to be a mess in itself along some of the more narrow parts of that road. When running the speed limit on I 40 it is a ten minute drive but this will take 20 to 25 minutes. A direct rail express would work better but that is too expensive of course. 
Nashville will continue to do things half ass as it has always done.

You could possibly do a BRT line down the middle of Murfreesboro Rd-where it would start and end....not sure.