Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

One area of the State's taking over the Metro Nashville Airport Authority that I had not heard about that is patently ridiculous...

The new statute, signed into law by Gov. Bill Lee in May, allows certain airport authorities the power to "regulate aircraft hazards, compatible land use, or other factors impacting the safe and efficient operation of the airport by submitting a map to the county ... that requires the review and approval, conditional approval or denial of building permits within the designated boundaries."

The law applies only in counties with a metropolitan government and a population of more than 500,000 — in other words, currently, only Metro Nashville.

The new map, first reported by The Tennessee Journal, went into effect on July 1.

In 1997, ordinances added to Metro Code created an Airport Overlay District allowing "specific height controls" according to maps maintained by the MNAA. The code gave those MNAA maps precedence over general zoning maps.

The new law gives the airport authority "incredible power," Davidson County Chancery Court Judge Anne C. Martin, a member of the 3-judge panel, said during a recent hearing. "It takes Metro out of the equation and gives them the ability to do things they can't currently do."

The law isn't clear on any limits to the airport authority's power over zoning and permits, and does not contain any provisions allowing Metro to approve, contest or change the map's boundaries. It's not clear how the new boundaries were determined by the airport authority, or what the authority's internal approval process looked like.

A letter submitted along with the new map in June offered no explanation for the expanded permit boundary.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2023/10/17/nashville-airport-authority-board-new-law-broadened-land-use-power/71205005007/

Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 8.18.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 8.18.19 AM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 8

The new zone does seem a bit strangely drawn, but does it assume larger aircraft travelling from overseas?  Or does it now include Tune, which may currently have a separate zone? Just asking certain questions. Could this also have the effect of going higher than the FAA currently does? I don't know a whole lot of people in the state house, but none of them even remotely sounds like they want to see Nashville punished. Granted that's not a conversation I've had with anyone in power now. I do think it's interesting that this particular item has been spelled out so precisely, and that seems to affect the basic spirit of I know about the state's "home rule" for cities. I haven't read the bill that was passed earlier this year, but when I do, I'd be very interested to see if their justification in treating Nashville differently (obviously in this case) is BECAUSE it is the state capital. But Nashville had a charter prior to becoming the capital. I believe the city's challenge is working slowly through the court. Anyone have any updates on that? 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Deepdish53 said:

image.thumb.png.bf4ee9e7e8d424803d345447deef315c.png

Just as an FYI - it looks like the Hilton hotel is now accepting reservations starting on February 26. Not sure if I missed any announcements about an opening date, but it seems like it might be late February.

Weren't they saying 1/1/24 (which always seemed a bit ambitious)  as recently as a month or two ago?