Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

• 2 weeks later...

Serious question: at which point does the airport stop trying to attract more flights because of overcrowding? The last few times I've been it's been busy, but not insane. I love to see the additional numbers, but I don't want to see it turn into another overcrowded cattle chute like Charlotte (which, in my opinion, is the worst hub airport in the US, largely due to its overcrowding).

• Like 2

I think I read recently that the current expansions ( with concourse A and D expansions) will be good till around 2040 (40 million pax??), at which point MNAA plans to have new terminal across Donelson pike to complement it. I haven’t seen what the capacity would be at that point. 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2023 at 9:51 AM, nashscan said:

I saw on Reddit that there was disorder loading the buses at the satellite terminal.   No one from MNAA facilitating an enforced line.  

That's not shocking at all. The decision to go cheap and rely on shuttle busses instead of a higher capacity and higher throughput rate people mover was a big mistake. If two Spirit A321s arrive concurrently that's up to 456 passengers trying to jostle for max 40 spots on a bus, potentially less, meaning more than 11 busses worth of passengers could be trying to queue within just a few minutes. If the queues aren't properly designed to accommodate that many people, and staffed to ensure people are abiding by the queue rules, then it will quickly descend into chaos. 

EDIT: I just noticed that the headways are 3 minutes. That means that in the aforementioned scenario of two fully loaded A321s arriving at about the same time, you could realistically be waiting 20 to 30 minutes just to get on a bus to get back to the main terminal. Admittedly this is going to be relieved somewhat by people stopping to use the restroom and the fact that it can take up to 20 minutes to offload a full airplane, but it still could mean long wait times that people really just don't want to deal with after a flight.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

This is absolutely infuriating! They're willing to spend billions on doing anything BUT providing alternatives to driving to the airport. Of all their grand plans, they aren't even considering doing anything other than more of the same: add lanes to handle more cars.

They could work with WeGo to get 15-minute headway express busses downtown with service starting in months, not years, if they actually wanted to. But nope, the whole airport and city leadership appear to just have their heads up their rear ends, that or they are only interested in making more cash through parking fees.

That would be just too easy! Besides They didn't think of it. A nice park & ride station somewhere downtown or at the convention center.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Melrose said:

"New electronic overhead roadway signs are also planned to improve communication with drivers about the best terminal routes in real-time."

Looking forward to the very helpful message "Sorry bud, try walking from here."

These updated roadway signs that TDOT keeps peddling not as information, but as somehow a solution is so stupid.... 

I-24 between M'boro and Nashville lowers head in shame!

• Like 1

I think the reality is that there are no quick fixes or even decent short term fixes. From my experiences, it's dropping off departing passengers that's creating most of the issues. Having one central screening point may not have been best - long term. Every departing passenger expects to be dropped off at the "front door" and no one seems capable of getting out of an Uber, with their bags, in less than 5 minutes....

1 hour ago, Melrose said:

LOL, don't want to come down hard on 1-24! :) Just the distinction between how TDOT is treating this signage as a transit/traffic solution rather than a perfectly nice informational upgrade. ...

Yep, you can’t have a “SMART “ highway without smart people. TDOT is an embarrassment!! 

• Like 3

Yeah I don't think there's any easy answer, people just want to drive / be driven to/from the airport so more passenger volume is going to mean more cars and a transit linkage wouldn't be sufficiently used because outside of narrow slice of passengers going directly downtown people will correctly recognize that even having to sit in traffic is faster than first taking a bus to somewhere you don't want to go.

Actually I think a good simple rule for thinking about traffic in general is that the level of traffic in any given period going forward is as low as it will ever be barring another Very Bad event like a pandemic or economic collapse. It can only get worse. Hundreds of thousands of people affirm every day that they are OK with the current level and any increase in capacity will be balanced out by induced demand. The only way to win is not to play (by building non-car transport with it's own ROW or changing your individual driving habits or whatever).

• Like 1

Until they ultimately make the east side entrance/exit with Donelson better once TDOT gets their end of the VERY delayed project, it's not going to get better with a singular ring road at the airport. Austin has the same issue but they literally have a SINGLE in/out of the airport (Highway 71) and of course the infamous LAX terminal loop. Using Donelson from Murfreesboro Pike has saved a significant amount of wait times for myself and others I know versus using the I-40 or Donelson from the north. 

They can throw $$$ to fix the road all day, but I think it's more or less people wanting direct curbside pickup/dropoff versus even reasonably trying to walk 2-5 minutes if that was an option. I've paid a short-term garage fee for 20 minutes to pick someone up versus use what was a completely full former cell lot and was out with ease versus idiots just driving in circles. I honestly think there will be no perfect fix for this situation outside of adding 2 more lanes and extending the covered gantry for arrivals/departures. 

A centralized security checkpoint is actually a far and away better configuration than what was a split before. Even if it was the way it used to be, that would have zero impact on the congestion on the road. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I-24 between M'boro and Nashville lowers head in shame!

3 hours ago, Melrose said:

LOL, don't want to come down hard on 1-24! :) Just the distinction between how TDOT is treating this signage as a transit/traffic solution rather than a perfectly nice informational upgrade. ...

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Yep, you can’t have a “SMART “ highway without smart people. TDOT is an embarrassment!! 

It's not finished yet.   

And there's this.

And yeah, I understand.  Junior High Science class was so, so hard!!!

"Opinions are like arm pits, everybody has two of them."  Awaiting the other armpits.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

They could work with WeGo to get 15-minute headway express busses downtown with service starting in months, not years, if they actually wanted to. But nope, the whole airport and city leadership appear to just have their heads up their rear ends, that or they are only interested in making more cash through parking fees.

https://www.wegotransit.com/ride/maps-schedules/bus/18-airport/

• Like 1

MidTenn you might have worked for them but you yourself are not TDOT,  So don’t take it personally.   And combine AI with autonomous vehicles, I’m sure we can all tell you how that’s going to turn out. Wait for it.. I-24 in Antioch Tennessee site of the world’s largest pile up, can read them headlines now. I’m sorry for being so harsh, but after 42 years of commercial driving and millions of miles under my belt I’ve seen and heard it all. Yes I’m sure there’s some great minds that work for TDOT, but it’s the politics of this state that’s making a mockery of the division. You might have great ideas and credentials, but the BillyBob from a BFE county no one even knows about , that sits in the legislature voting on projects don’t. Tennessee has some of the worst roads I’ve driven on, and is behind its growth by decades when it comes to infrastructure. Mostly due to the insane pay as you go idea, yeah it keeps taxes low but sometimes the safety of its citizens is worth a few more dollars 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1