Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

25 minutes ago, nashville born said:

When I see shots like this showing downtown in the distance (from the airport), my mind goes to the rate of ascension on jetliners and I feel even more frustrated by the 750' cap.

The average airliner is climbing at about 2-3000' per minute.  I get it, safety first.  Skyscraper enthusiast musing...

Exactly my thinking as well.  I mean if a jetliner hasn't been able to climb above 750 feet over the course of five miles, a building potentially being in their path is probably the least of their worries at that point!  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MidTenn1 said:

Heaven forbid anyone adds another 200 feet in height to any of those towers!! 

Why those planes are sure to crash right into those buildings I tell ya!... (if the plane drives the first four miles of the journey)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markhollin said:

Metro Nashville Airport Authority continues to try and convince the FAA of the necessity for the 4,000 ft. extension to runway 2L/20R to make it 11,700 ft. for biggest jets utilized on international flights.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2024/04/29/faa-collaboration-nashville-airport-runway-expansion-tokyo-seoul/73413384007/

No access to article.  Why do they need to convince the FAA?  Is such a decision up to the FAA or the airport itself?  

No tall buildings and no long runways!?!?!?

2 hours ago, BeaveStirs said:

Concourse A & D renders from the Bna New Horizons page.

BNA-New-Horizon-Concourse.png

Concourse-D-extension-NH.png

The the glazed "kink" and "rotunda" on the two will me nice additions. Hopefully they can amenitize (as much as airports CAN amenitize at least) those areas nicely.

4 hours ago, nashville born said:

No access to article.  Why do they need to convince the FAA?  Is such a decision up to the FAA or the airport itself?  

No tall buildings and no long runways!?!?!?

I don't have access either, but I would presume there would be changes to the airspace around the runway and different permissions about land and clearances for such a runway. FAA I believe controls more than just airspace, they have a say over the entire complex that makes up airports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

I could not agree more about the ridiculous number of rural roads that lead to no where.  I just experienced one I could not believe...there is a four lane divided highway from Crossville to the Kentucky state line near Jamestown....long exits to the smaller roads and HONESTLY, there were miles where i was the only car.  Im from a small town so I certainly support good roads, but these extreme rural areas with these interstate quality roads makes no sense except to the Gomer that is elected from these areas who have far more influence than any rep from the major cities. 

but but but, these oversized roads lead to massive economic development. Don't you guys know anything?!

Shifty Eyes GIFs | GIFDB.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back in the 1980's. I saw a map of Tennessee that was marked with a thick black marker to show where Governor Alexander wanted new 4-lane highways and interstates across the state. It included what is I-840 now. He laid the map on the floor and got down on his knees and determined the State's highway plan for the next several years.

My co-worker, who was in the room at the Governor's mansion when it happened, showed me the map the next morning. I was working for the Department of Economic and Community Development then, so as one of the two Engineers in the Department, so I was assigned to work with the committee to recruit Toyota. I actually sat across the table from Dr. Toyoda' s (correct name) son one day. We had just lost the competition to recruit the Toyota Auto plant back in the 80s and the ostensive reason was that we didn't have enough 4 lane roads near big cities.

So I helped take the map to TDOT to get cost estimates to build all these and the Governor went to the State Legislature to ask for a 1% sales tax increase with half going to roads and half going to schools. It passed. All true!!!

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how your roads get built!

And I have some more stories, like that.

• Like 2