New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

It is a cool rendering from the outside, but if anyone needs an enclosed stadium it is Buffalo. The enclosed stadium gives you a lot more options with the uses. You are right about the surface parking. Looks like they decided on the Orchard Park location and not the one downtown, because this timeline puts them in sooner than the 2027, I saw on the downtown location, and it was going to cost 300 million more in infrastructure cost. This location is 9 miles from downtown next to the current location. They are utilizing existing parking. Nothing new to see here.

9 minutes ago, samsonh said:

2000 more than the Titan's proposal!

NFT stadiums are shrinking after I have been doing research. The Bills stadium 62 k and the new Las Vegas Raiders Stadium is only 65 k. Looks to be the new trend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

acres of surface parking lots for a stadium to be used 10 days a year 

I was intrigued by this comment in their release:

The Bills want the plaza to be a gathering site year-round for the community and said the exterior was built to highlight "the team's desire for a visual identity that reflects some of the historical architecture of Buffalo, while also delivering a modern appearance."

A year-round community gathering site surrounded by parking lots in an area inaccessible by any method other than car 10 miles away from downtown? Right...I'm sure it'll be just overrun by locals every weekend in the offseason. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

It is a cool rendering from the outside, but if anyone needs an enclosed stadium it is Buffalo. The enclosed stadium gives you a lot more options with the uses.

In the planning process Buffalo and the Bills went all-in on making the elements part of the game-day experience (for fans and for the visiting teams). They were never going to accept a dome but, with apologies to Buffalo, they aren't really high on anyone's list for a Super Bowl, Final Four, etc. destination with or without a climate-controlled stadium, so that makes the decision easier. Still, football should be played outside and props to them for owning it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Yes, NFT values are shrinking unlike exurb commutes.

Sorry man, NFL. I type and my dyslexic rear does not see.

6 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

In the planning process Buffalo and the Bills went all-in on making the elements part of the game-day experience (for fans and for the visiting teams). They were never going to accept a dome but, with apologies to Buffalo, they aren't really high on anyone's list for a Super Bowl, Final Four, etc. destination with or without a climate-controlled stadium, so that makes the decision easier. Still, football should be played outside and props to them for owning it.

Yea, they can own the cold weather. I could not handle living in the great white north or at least that close to it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Is this really news? When this was announced did anyone say that all the infrastructure costs were included?  Any redevelopment of the area, even if no new stadium is built, would need hundreds of millions in new infrastructure. I'm waiting for a story on how a new stadium would create traffic headaches on game days. Apologies for the sarcasm......

A tad disappointing and disingenuous to not include the cost of the required parking in the cost of the stadium. The Cooper admin needs to be upfront about the total cost. They have not been so far. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, samsonh said:

A tad disappointing and disingenuous to not include the cost of the required parking in the cost of the stadium. The Cooper admin needs to be upfront about the total cost. They have not been so far. 

This is frankly par for the course with our “better deals” Mayor. 

• Like 3

Until we have some level of design of the areas surrounding the new stadium it's pretty difficult to know what it will cost.  The stadium announcement is kind a like a couple announcing that they are getting married. They generally don't say we're getting married and - mom and dad - the wedding is going to cost $21,315.45, excluding the flowers.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

Until we have some level of design of the areas surrounding the new stadium it's pretty difficult to know what it will cost.  The stadium announcement is kind a like a couple announcing that they are getting married. They generally don't say we're getting married and - mom and dad - the wedding is going to cost $21,315.45, excluding the flowers.

Purposely not including the cost of a required garage + all the other required infrastructure artificially makes the project look better. I want a new stadium, but be up front about the costs and knowns and unknowns. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Purposely not including the cost of a required garage + all the other required infrastructure artificially makes the project look better. I want a new stadium, but be up front about the costs and knowns and unknowns. 

From my read, the $2.1BN includes infrastructure for the stadium, does not include the required parking garage, but does include infrastructure for the stadium. The village surrounding the stadium and that infrastructure is not required for the purposes of building the stadium, IE it could be dropped and replaced with 2,000 parking spaces and the $2.1BN remains. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

From my read, the $2.1BN includes infrastructure for the stadium, does not include the required parking garage, but does include infrastructure for the stadium. The village surrounding the stadium and that infrastructure is not required for the purposes of building the stadium, IE it could be dropped and replaced with 2,000 parking spaces and the $2.1BN remains. 

But that infrastructure is required for the city to receive sales tax to pay for the stadium. That is my point.

• Like 3

It's possible for a designer of stadiums to produce early renderings and provide ballpark cost estimates. It's hard, and I'll say irresponsible, to provide estimates on what is essentially a blank slate that surrounds the stadium. Garages will likely be part of neighboring developments, which haven't been designed.  Parking will be likely be cheaper in an 8-floor development over a 4-floor development. Give this time to play out. Did we know anything about all the infrastructure costs of Music City Center the week it was announced?

Edited by Nash_12South

1 minute ago, Nash_12South said:

It's possible for a designer of stadiums to produce early renderings and provide ballpark cost estimates. It's hard, and I'll say irresponsible, to provide estimates on what is essentially a blank slate that surrounds the stadium. Garages will likely be part of neighboring developments, which haven't been designed.  Parking will be likely be cheaper in an 8-floor development over a 4-floor development. Give this time to play out. Did we know anything about all the infrastructure costs of 5th + Broad the week it was announced?

Based upon your posts in other threads I believe you are misunderstanding infrastructure costs in private developments vs this proposal. 

1 minute ago, samsonh said:

But that infrastructure is required for the city to receive sales tax to pay for the stadium. That is my point.

The sales tax will come from the "stadium village" (true) but also the remaining 130 acres. I believe I read the stadium village is 15 acres. The remaining acres (net of stadium and stadium village and parks) would be developed by private developers on land leases would would be paid for by those developers. 

Please correct me if this is incorrect. 

17 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

The sales tax will come from the "stadium village" (true) but also the remaining 130 acres. I believe I read the stadium village is 15 acres. The remaining acres (net of stadium and stadium village and parks) would be developed by private developers on land leases would would be paid for by those developers. 

Please correct me if this is incorrect. 

I thought the sales tax portion would come from all the acreage, even the privately developed. Hope I am incorrect on that. 

"

Last year, the Legislature approved a state sales tax concession that included 100% of the sales tax from tickets and sales at a stadium along with 50% of the sales tax from a planned development on the 130 acres surrounding a potential new stadium.

Those funds will all go into an account with the Metro Nashville Sports Authority to pay for costs at the stadium."

https://tennesseestar.com/2022/04/22/tennessee-legislature-approves-500m-for-new-titans-domed-stadium/

Edited by samsonh
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Based upon your posts in other threads I believe you are misunderstanding infrastructure costs in private developments vs this proposal. 

You are correct. I don't understand all the financial parts of this. But I do know that this is too early to expect many answers to a lot of, admittedly relevant, financial questions. Just my understanding is that this announcement was meant to be all pretty pictures and gaining good PR and not explaining all the costs and financing. Folks seem to be getting angry/frustrated at not having information that at this stage of a project isn't really knowable. 

Edited by Nash_12South

1 minute ago, Nash_12South said:

You are correct. I don't understand all the financial parts of this. But I do know that this is too early to expect many answers to financial questions. Just my understanding is that this announcement was meant to be all pretty pictures and gaining good PR and not explaining all the costs and financing. 

The mayor's release was certainly meant to explain the financing. They are going in front of council with these very same numbers!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Well if the no parking minimum bill passes. The stadium won't have to have any parking...

Hopefully there are no stand alone parking garages, I would not like that at all. Such a waste of space. 

Not sure if this is correct since the existing lease requires parking

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, samsonh said:

I thought the sales tax portion would come from all the acreage, even the privately developed. Hope I am incorrect on that. 

"

Last year, the Legislature approved a state sales tax concession that included 100% of the sales tax from tickets and sales at a stadium along with 50% of the sales tax from a planned development on the 130 acres surrounding a potential new stadium.

Those funds will all go into an account with the Metro Nashville Sports Authority to pay for costs at the stadium."

https://tennesseestar.com/2022/04/22/tennessee-legislature-approves-500m-for-new-titans-domed-stadium/

23 minutes ago, samsonh said:

The mayor's release was certainly meant to explain the financing. They are going in front of council with these very same numbers!

So since 50% sales tax is on the entire 130 acres, including private development, it's true that the $2.1BN number does not cover stadium village infrastructure and 2,000 parking spaces, but the 50% sales tax, which is being used to pay down interest stadium revenue bonds, will come from the stadium village AND the private development. What the interest expense is and what the projected sales tax collections will be is to be determined, but it's not accurate to say that the stadium village is the only source of sales tax collections. 

• Like 2