New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

43 minutes ago, go_outside said:

I care what Mendes has to say, and I appreciate him diving into the numbers. If this stadium turns out to be a good deal, then let's build it. But if not, let's go back to the negotiating table.

Regardless of your predisposition for or against public stadium funding, let's not rush into a $2 billion+ project without all the facts.

Lets schedule another 200 community meetings with the financially illiterate, that’ll do it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

They need us more than we need them.

I don't think that's true in this case. There are plenty of other cities willing to bend over backwards to accommodate whatever it takes to land an NFL franchise. On the other hand, Nissan is an old stadium that would not lure anyone here. It hardly gets used as/is and is sitting on valuable property. If the Titans leave what would happen next?  I don't really think either side of this is in a bad spot right now but if we had to pick one or the other I'd say the Titans are definitely not in a bad spot. Whoever has to figure out how to deal with that stadium after the Titans leave is in a bad spot.

Edited by glamdring269
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, glamdring269 said:

I don't think that's true in this case. There are plenty of other cities willing to bend over backwards to accommodate whatever it takes to land an NFL franchise. On the other hand, Nissan is an old stadium that would not lure anyone here. It hardly gets used as/is and is sitting on valuable property. If the Titans leave what would happen next?  I don't really think either side of this is in a bad spot right now but if we had to pick one or the other I'd say the Titans are definitely not in a bad spot. Whoever has to figure out how to deal with that stadium after the Titans leave is in a bad spot.

This won’t happen but if the Titans just left the city would be left with 100+ acres of developable land right next to downtown. Not exactly a bad spot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, glamdring269 said:

I agree but it’s also not free to convert it to developable land. Would that investment be better than this one?

No it is not free, but it is far cheaper than building a new stadium. I love the Titans, but I would rather see a neighborhood than a stadium on the East bank.

• Like 3

I think it's possible to a vibrant neighborhood that surrounds a new stadium. Look at Geodis. A redeveloped East bank would hopefully be more densely populated and handle traffic and parking better than WH. The stadium will be fairly quiet 6 days out of 7.    EDIT -  oops - nashvylle says it better than me.....

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

You're getting both a stadium and a new neighborhood on the East Bank with this proposal, however. 

If Titans left, they would force metro to repay them $30MM in upgrades already owed to them (and forgiven in the new proposal), and metro would still owe $30 MM in original general obligation bonds (forgiven in new proposal).

CMA Fest would remain if the Titans leave, but even CMA would threaten to leave if we didn't upgrade Nissan, so what does that cost metro?

At some point, having amenities in a city help make a city great. 

Nashville could potentially have the best stadium venue/neighborhood in the country with this proposal. 

Sure we would repay those debts. But we would also keep the sales tax revenue from the new neighborhood, which far outweighs those debts. 

• Like 1

Remember what the East Bank was like before the stadium was built there? Not trying to be snarky because I really don't remember there being a lot development taking place there. I do remember driving down Riverside drive to Shelby park daily because that is where we practiced baseball while I was at Belmont.

Edited by SumnerCountian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

Sure we would repay those debts. But we would also keep the sales tax revenue from the new neighborhood, which far outweighs those debts. 

But you would lose the Titans, CMA Fest, year round concerts, etc. 

We could sell the land for Nissan and also Bridgestone, Ryman, Fairgrounds, Centennial Park etc.  and Nashville could have literally have zero debt, but it wouldn't be Nashville anymore.  

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, natethegreat said:

Have you guys been downtown during a Titans game? The East Bank location is absolutely crucial. 20k opposing fans spill over the bridge into the city before and after every game, it’s a huge driver of business. People from out of town love coming. 

That right there is reason enough for the sweater tied over the back crowd to derail it.

• Haha 3