New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

This situation is different from the sound stadium. 

Metro issued bonds for the sounds stadium construction and site acquisition, with bond interest paid back solely from NEW real estate taxes from new development built by the sounds management. No money was available day 1 of bond issuance, and the sounds had no clock to commence development, which was delayed for years. 

The new titans stadium relies on 1% hotel tax collected once approved by council, existing metro and state in-stadium sales tax at Nissan stadium, existing ticket taxes at Nissan stadium, existing pilot taxes (which will be phased out in 2032), plus in the future- team rent at new stadium and future sales tax from development you mentioned. 

On day 1 of issuing bonds, there will be approximately $40mm per year collected for interest payments, and this grows each year as more hotels are built(The 1% hotel tax can only be implemented for a new stadium, FYI). 

The 1% hotel tax and in stadium ticket and sales taxes plus titans will cover the interest for metro’s debt, with funds being collected and ready day 1 of bond issuance. 

The stadium village was going to happen whether we did a new stadium or renovation, and I think is more for “activation of the stadium” than necessity or metro protection. The sales tax from surrounding development will add to collections for interest for sure, but metro could delay the stadium village and we still have sufficient collections. 

whatever the infrastructure costs to metro outside of the stadium will be less than the 50% sales tax + 100% real estate tax collections. 

as part of the new deal, the titans are also waiving $27mm in Nissan stadium repairs paid by titans and owed by metro and $30mm in remaining G.O. Debt on the existing stadium. 

Yes I think and hope this is all true. The only doubt I have is whether the maintenance and future capex costs are being properly accounted for. I would hate to get 15-20 years down the road and have unexpected and unfounded 50+ million dollar liabilities.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 7:58 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I think there is another difference here as well and that being that there will be a master developer in charge of the land around the Titans stadium whereas there never was one around the Sounds stadium. The way I understand it is that the master developer would be in charge of the basic recruiting of and developing the spaces available. They would not be the ones doing the financing and construction as that would be up to each individual project developer.

Correct, although I believe that will just be for the parking lots the sports authority owns, and I am not sure if that will include the stadium village + 66 acres metro has reclaimed + private development, or just private development (like Market Street is Master Developer of The Gulch). 

I still think it's a risk to go this small capacity wise. It's a gamble to me, because  this is what we will have for several decades to come. I really don't want to spend this kind of money and have the smallest stadium in the nfl. Hopefully it won't bite us down the road with other events. I imagine ticket prices will just be raised to offset any difference. At this size, the seats better be nice and wide with  great leg room. I can dream, can't I ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, nightranger36 said:

I still think it's a risk to go this small capacity wise. It's a gamble to me, because  this is what we will have for several decades to come. I really don't want to spend this kind of money and have the smallest stadium in the nfl. Hopefully it won't bite us down the road with other events. I imagine ticket prices will just be raised to offset any difference. At this size, the seats better be nice and wide with  great leg room. I can dream, can't I ?

I read somewhere that the architect has allowed for capacity to be expanded, either permanently if decided or for specific events. 

5 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Some screenshots I grabbed:

53E87C42-96DD-4B9D-A8FE-CCD5A80A7916.png

828314BE-182E-4DED-B33F-62C88F075313.png

One thing I’ve realized from following this whole thing is the financial illiteracy of most of metro council. Also the inability of council to get straight answers on substantial costs, such as the infrastructure. This whole thing feels very rushed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Ugh!!! Can't the Titans just move to another city? They'll be the least expensive option.  I'm like, go away. 

Yes, I know you jest, and I enjoy your posts also, but, if the NFL team actually left and we converted Nissan Stadium into a nice baseball stadium, we'd have a team to occupy it within a week. We would have to modify it significantly, but at a lot, lot, lot less cost than any of the NFL stadium proposals. 

And yes, I said 'we' even though I am not a 'citizen' of Nashville. I am a citizen of Tennessee which has $500,000,000 input into these projects, so I have skin ($200+/- worth) in this game.

• Like 1