Fairgrounds Speedway Racetrack expansion to 30,000 seats

markhollin

45 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

From what I've been reading online, the Ally 400 race was a sellout-also the TV ratings were the highest of any season opener in 3 years.

So if the stands are full and the TV ratings are solid, then what exactly is the problem with the Superspeedway that only the Fairgrounds track renovation could solve?

I'll reiterate this, I don't believe the superspeedway is really in the long term plans for what Nascar is wanting to achieve. I think the superspeedway is a stop gap of sorts to get the Fairgrounds on the schedule. Nascar is also moving in the direction of a much more sustainable model and they understand that getting butts in the seats in sustainable manner is to be closer to the core or nearby to alternative transportation. Seeing as Nashville offers very little alternative transportation, they are gonna want to be even closer to the core. Not to mention what Nashville offers within its core is impressive from a spectator standpoint, so why wouldn't they want to be closer to the core. 

1 hour ago, Melrose said:

They hit some really unlucky weather for sure.  It should be noted that if there was a weather cancellation or similar significant delays that depressed attendance and spending  under the current version of  Bristol/Fairgrounds proposal,  Metro would take a major hit from the lost revenue and have to cover the whole resulting shortfall in debt service.  Bristol wouldn't be on the hook for even a fraction of this,  which again is one of the many things that could have been fixed here if Bristol had been forced to negotiate a fair deal and not just the Mayor taking whatever they put out there...

Then it is good that the deal was questioned and will ultimately not get voted on till next session. I think it was incredibly irresponsible of the previous Mayor's to ignore the racetrack like they did during the soccer negotiation and I applaud Mayor Cooper for trying to pay attention to it. Clearly the proposed deal though is not right for the city, but I hope conversations are continued with the next administration and council. Again, if the deal mirrors the soccer deal where BMS handles debt service and revenue shortfalls - with a caveat that the city somehow replaces not giving away 10-acres of land - how is it a bad deal for the city? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

What exactly is "unsustainable" about sold out races and solid TV ratings?

Nothing when focusing purely on the event itself. But when you zoom out to examine a more "life-cycle" approach to it you begin to think about the amount of energy/resources that goes into the infrastructure on or around the track, the amount of energy to transport 30,000 people in ±15,000 cars, they amount of energy that goes into setting up/tearing down and storing the temporary stands that get setup every year. Those elements are not very sustainable. Nascar has a very robust sustainability initiative (believe it or not) to work toward becoming a more sustainable sport. Move those 30,000 spectators where even half of those folks have the ability to take an alterative form of transportation (Bus, Bike, Walk, etc) immediately helps the sport be more sustainable. Very similar to why MLS, NFL, NHL, wanting WNBA/MLB close to the core, Nascar is looking at that and seeing it as a model that works and BMS is trying to take advantage of an existing facility that has irresponsibly ignored. 

So it isn't totally "unsustainable" (kind of why I didn't use that term), but they can make moves to be "more sustainable". 

• Like 1

So what does this mean? Will NASCAR get rid of the tracks in Charlotte? Talladega? Daytona? And if not, why not? Are they going to make them "more sustainable"? And why would you take down "temporary stands" in the first place? Just make them permanent.

With the exception of Daytona, the other tracks are not exactly in  core urban areas and are doing fine.

None of this makes any sense. The superspeedway in Wilson County is a proven viable product.

The city needs to steer clear of this and work with up and coming sports-they got the MLS and now they need to go after the WNBA.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

So what does this mean? Will NASCAR get rid of the tracks in Charlotte? Talladega? Daytona? And if not, why not? Are they going to make them "more sustainable"? And why would you take down "temporary stands" in the first place? Just make them permanent.

With the exception of Daytona, the other tracks are not exactly in  core urban areas and are doing fine.

None of this makes any sense. The superspeedway in Wilson County is a proven viable product.

The city needs to steer clear of this and work with up and coming sports-they got the MLS and now they need to go after the WNBA.

Lmao at the WNBA

• Like 1

8 hours ago, go_outside said:

My primary issue is Metro backstopping the bonds. I don't see why we should agree to a worse deal than the MLS stadium right next door.

If Nascar wanted to pay for the whole thing, I say go for it.

If nascar was putting any money in it would be nice. 

• Like 3

On 7/6/2023 at 1:37 PM, Bos2Nash said:

I think it was incredibly irresponsible of the previous Mayor's to ignore the racetrack

It wasn't ignored.  There have been efforts to look at real renovations, there was even initial money for some renovations years ago,   but Bristol has been floating out there for 5 years  now with this proposed framework where they have no accountability.   Bristol has been the one effectively blocking progress because if Metro  went ahead and did a real renovation, then there would be no Bristol deal. 

On 7/6/2023 at 1:37 PM, Bos2Nash said:

with a caveat that the city somehow replaces not giving away 10-acres of land - how is it a bad deal for the city? 

The "10 acres of land" is a red herring being spread by Bristol to distract from the fact that they have no skin in the game in this deal.   The user of the new  facility, who is justifying the case for construction of that facility with their big events- i.e. Bristol and NASCAR cup race(s)- should backstop the cost of the facility.  Period.  Get that debt backstop,  and then revise the lease agreements to actually back up the promises Bristol is making-  actually limiting racing and loud events to current levels or less,  and making them accountable for the sound reduction promises-  And then you might have something.   Right now though,  it certainly looks like Bristol has not intention of doing those things because those are not their plans.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Melrose said:

It wasn't ignored.  There have been efforts to look at real renovations, there was even initial money for some renovations years ago,   but Bristol has been floating out there for 5 years  now with this proposed framework where they have no accountability.   Bristol has been the one effectively blocking progress because if Metro  went ahead and did a real renovation, then there would be no Bristol deal. 

This sounds more like an excuse than anything. "let's not plan to upkeep or renovate this because there is this hypothetical plan floating out here". The true optics of it is the racetrack was ignored.

14 minutes ago, Melrose said:

The "10 acres of land" is a red herring being spread by Bristol to distract from the fact that they have no skin in the game in this deal.   The user of the new  facility, who is justifying the case for construction of that facility with their big events- i.e. Bristol and NASCAR cup race(s)- should backstop the cost of the facility.  Period.  Get that debt backstop,  and then revise the lease agreements to actually back up the promises Bristol is making-  actually limiting racing and loud events to current levels or less,  and making them accountable for the sound reduction promises-  And then you might have something.   Right now though,  it certainly looks like Bristol has not intention of doing those things because those are not their plans.  

I find this entertaining, because I have heard very little from BMS themselves other than what is posted here. The so called "red-herring" is actually my own deduction just by looking at the two projects. Essentially what you are laying out is get a deal similar to soccer where the operator is held accountable. Sounds awfully familiar to things I have been saying all along. Even if I misunderstand legal text at times, I have always said BMS needs to be a partner similar to what NSC is.

Groups like NOTE have been coming out and using the their own red-herring of "noise will ruin the neighborhood". The noise has been there. And actually was perpetuated even worse when the previous mayoral administration allowed a quite illiterate operator get the operations deal and pass over BMS. NOTE is blasting the speedway as if it is a new entity, when it isn't. BMS needs to be a solid partner to get the deal done, yes, but the noise should be less of an argument IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think all of them will be overly cautious with this issue. I know Jim Gingrich was pretty vocally opposed but he just pulled out. The folks on support of the deal were going to start an ad campaign against him too. Sort of what happens when you spend 2 million of your own money and do not get any traction.

• Like 1

Seeing Dale Jr re-tweeted this out today:  I would say he is in support of a new race in Nashville. 

this is from a NASCAR writer based in the Charlotte area

Jerry Caldwell says the SMI agreement calls for a Cup race at Nashville Fairgrounds every other year while also managing local racing, the regional fair and the flea market.

Video of the discussion

Bristol Motor Speedway is owned by Charlotte based Speedway Motorsports who owns our big speedway.   I have said it before Nascar and Nashville are a perfect fit. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Seeing Dale Jr re-tweeted this out today:  I would say he is in support of a new race in Nashville. 

this is from a NASCAR writer based in the Charlotte area

Jerry Caldwell says the SMI agreement calls for a Cup race at Nashville Fairgrounds every other year while also managing local racing, the regional fair and the flea market.

Video of the discussion

Bristol Motor Speedway is owned by Charlotte based Speedway Motorsports who owns our big speedway.   I have said it before Nascar and Nashville are a perfect fit. 

Interested to see which poll is actually correct. 

IMG_1463.png

• Like 1

Those survey results need attribution and more explanation. Sample size? How were they persuaded to support the proposal? What is the message? Was the cost explained?  

I think there would have been a lot more support for this 20 years ago, but the Fairgrounds has changed so much and Nashvillians have been hit up for so much by very wealthy sports owners, and then here comes another, SMI. I think as large a force working against it is that NASCAR isn't what it used to be and there's the superspeedway in the suburbs. It's my sense Nascar would have been welcomed with open arms before the fight over the soccer stadium and the hurt feelings in its wake. Plus it appears that Nashville has moved on to the more interesting street race with Indycar. 

• Like 3

what is the public ask for money for this?  I get sports fatigue especially when it comes to big new stadiums which you just built a soccer specific stadium and rebuilding your NFL stadium.  I have been by  this fairground site and it is indeed tight.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Those survey results need attribution and more explanation. Sample size? How were they persuaded to support the proposal? What is the message? Was the cost explained?  

I think there would have been a lot more support for this 20 years ago, but the Fairgrounds has changed so much and Nashvillians have been hit up for so much by very wealthy sports owners, and then here comes another, SMI. I think as large a force working against it is that NASCAR isn't what it used to be and there's the superspeedway in the suburbs. It's my sense Nascar would have been welcomed with open arms before the fight over the soccer stadium and the hurt feelings in its wake. Plus it appears that Nashville has moved on to the more interesting street race with Indycar. 

Feeling the same way about this, I still believe the wise decision is for SMI to invest whatever money they are putting up for this deal into renovations and marketing for the SuperSpeedway. It’s a track that they already own, is branded as the Nashville Race and has better logistics and ample parking and space to expand. I just don’t believe that the Nashville Fairgrounds Track is the right move, for SMI or especially The citizens of Nashville. Laws and Charters can always be changed, that’s an overblown and worn out argument. I truly believe that the only proponents for this to happen ,is from those that have fond memories of yesteryear’s hay days and Nascar diehards. If looked at without those blinders and with an open mind, this whole thing makes no sense at all. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

Not to mention, Cooper simply doesn’t have the time to pass three readings before the term is up. He should’ve brought this forward sooner if he wanted to get this done, he’s been talking about a deal at the racetrack for almost his entire term. 

Agreed. It seems as if Cooper really did not want and/or care about this passing.