Fairgrounds Speedway Racetrack expansion to 30,000 seats

markhollin

On 11/28/2023 at 2:04 PM, Bos2Nash said:

What's kinda nuts to me is everyone seems to be so onboard with the IndyCar race, but that race (while is loads of fun) is literally closing roads and taking up space in the downtown core for multiple weeks every year.

Why is IndyCar applauded and the idea of Nascar denounced? Hell, the IndyCar race is going to even more disruption next year when it creates a closed loop around multiple residential towers! 

I'll tell you why.

It rhymes with 8.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone here caught the Bristol race yesterday, but attendance looked to be in the 30-40% of capacity at most. This used to be a special race. 

Back when I used to watch it was always the most exciting racing. 

Edited by samsonh
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the Bristol races have not been the same since the days of Rusty's/Dale's/Jeff's dominance. I remember the exciting race where Elliot Sadler took the Wood Brothers to victory lane with an awesome strategy call. From an attendance perspective though, 146,000 seats will do that to a venue. For reference, 30% of Bristol's seats would be more than 13,000 above what the Fairgrounds renovation is proposed at. Selling 15,000 to 30,000 is also a hellva lot easier than 146,000. The speedway is also almost 10 miles south of Bristol, TN and about 20 miles north of Johnson City. When you compare that to a setting like the Fairgrounds, you are able to attract a much wider net of people and the infrastructure for said wider net is more established. Just gotta get the right deal in place.

It was a tough actual race from what I heard. I guess the tires were shredding similar to what happened at the Brickyard in 2008. The thing that really kills me is how Bristol has gone from a bottom feeders track to the a high groove track. Whether it is the traction compound or progressive banking. There are alot of theories on what "happened" to Bristol. Reddit has a rather opinionated thread on what has happened to the track over recent years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...