The Dolphins owner financed the renovations as an attempt to secure a Super Bowl for an aging facility AND the fact that Miami financed the Marlins stadium and got burned so they refused to help. Im sure there would some serious political wrangling between the Titans and Metro to get some public money for renovations (or a new stadium altogether). 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 6:52 AM, nashvylle said:

It has hurt football, which is a huge money machine, and a huge benefit to Nashville. 

Vandy should care about the fan experience, in my opinion. Just like dozens of other schools, some are deemed more academically prestigious than Vanderbilt. 

I am not saying build a stadium that compares to Neyland, I am just saying don’t completely abandone your stadium, which they have done. 

They receive $40MM I think in revenue sharing from SEC football. $7MM per year  over 10 years... $70MM could do a ton for their stadium, fan experience, and product. 

Vanderbilt endowment is $6.4 Billion. $7MM is peanuts to them.  The endowment made close to $600MM in 2018.  Football revenue is not a part of the pie in any way.

University of Alabama's and UT's  endowments are a little less than a one billion. UA football revenue much larger piece of the pie for them, 175MM last year.

Say the university put a ton of money to try to compete in facilities and play on the field in the SEC, the top storied and winning programs (taxes, Ohio State) only pull in around  $200M a year at best.  Doesn't look like that great of an ROI.

Universities and Colleges are more like investment banks today.  Especially in the top 25 level like Vandy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, leggy77 said:

Vanderbilt endowment is $6.4 Billion. $7MM is peanuts to them.  The endowment made close to $600MM in 2018.  Football revenue is not a part of the pie in any way.

University of Alabama's and UT's  endowments are a little less than a one billion. UA football revenue much larger piece of the pie for them, 175MM last year.

Say the university put a ton of money to try to compete in facilities and play on the field in the SEC, the top storied and winning programs (taxes, Ohio State) only pull in around  $200M a year at best.  Doesn't look like that great of an ROI.

Universities and Colleges are more like investment banks today.  Especially in the top 25 level like Vandy.

There is a happy medium. Vanderbilt does not have to have the best stadium in the SEC, or the country, but they also don’t have to have the worst (which they are competing for now). 

Interesting quotes RE renovations needed for super bowl. 

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/after-draft-ncvc-president-targets-super-bowl-grammys-for-next-big-events/1964697309?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WKRN-TV_Nashville

1 minute ago, musiczealot said:

Here is a question to you all.

If you had the choice between the two, would you rather have:

New domed football stadium that ensures we are on the rotation for Super Bowls, NCAA Football Championship, Final Four, etc.

or

MLB expansion or relocated team with new open air stadium

Renovations to Nissan Stadium where we can host super bowl and college football playoffs, and ncaa men’s final four. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, musiczealot said:

New domed football stadium that ensures we are on the rotation for Super Bowls, NCAA Football Championship, Final Four, etc.

or

I would take the domed stadium with retractable roof.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, musiczealot said:

or

Is neither an option? Assuming, of course, that either would require public $$. If no public $ then the football stadium. I still think we're too small for baseball.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cda said:

In fact, all the MLB stadiums I’ve been to Kansas City is one of the best and it was built in the 1960’s. Loved the stadium, the views and the overall environment was great. 

9D7AF3A9-3C92-47EC-A962-861CEC5BD628.jpeg

However, it's two miles from downtown and in the middle of a parking lot the size of a small county.

I like everything about Denver's ballpark (only a little smaller) in the LoDo district.

• Like 1

Well I wasn’t talking about location. I was talking about an old stadium that has been through many renovations and is still just as good as any billion dollar stadium. 

I havent been to Denver stadium but I hope to go soon. 

• Like 2

Give me a roof over Nissan all day over a baseball team.  I played A LOT of baseball in my day and you couldn’t pay me to watch a game, I haven’t watched more than two outs of a baseball game in 15 years.  Sooo boring, crowds are lifeless, game is long and slow.