East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

Again, conceptual renderings are just that, conceptual. Nothing is set in stone until the cost of the project is hammered out and the budget is nailed down. How many times did the Nashville Yards image’s change? Those changed somewhat for the better granted but that was a private developer. We have see conceptual images for the Oracle Campus but nothing has been nailed down yet. I will even go so far to say that the designs for the Reed district may even change. The market and the times dictate what will be built on a site, not some artist and the vision he had on that day to impress the heads sitting at a table. It may end up being close, but it may not.

Get over the conceptual renderings as I have seen more than my share over 20 years on this board. I will say that the new super tall in OKC is only a conceptual rendering too and will never get built. It is someone’s conception of grandeur in their head. Just like the Jetsons Marina tower at the Thermal where the Amphitheater is now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Totally agree, again it seems the mentality here is to think inside that small town box. Nobody seems to want to break the mold and allow the possibilities to express itself and create a truly great urban environment. The downtown code allows for bonus height and if they are carrying it over to the East Bank then it should still apply. With the East Bank sitting at a lower elevation than say Church Street @ 10th Avenue shouldn’t it be possible to achieve 800 feet and stay at the same FAA requirements for overall elevation Plus conform to the DTC ?

• Like 4

This sickens me to know they are not allowing for bonus height. Other than emailing our city council person is there anything else I can do to help our opinions be known? We get one chance to do this right, and we need density in the core!

• Like 4

My understanding is the zoning on the East Bank still needs to be approved, so I would presume there will be at least public hearings to voice your concern. I would encourage you to write your council members and stay on top of them for this.  You could also reach out to Planning via the East Bank email address [email protected]. Not if that email is still active or not, but it is on the planning website associated to the East Bank. @bwithers1 Could you shine any light on this?

No Bonus Height is very odd to me as well. Especially because the River North UDO has Bonus Height baked into it that would allow 30 floors.

I believe the Downtown Code expansion would cover all the parcels, but the subdistricts may come online at different times which may impact those developments. previously approved SPs would prolly be exempt from the expansion, but it they could possibly get "more" out of their development, I wouldn't be shocked to see groups like RMR re-evaluate.

• Thanks 3

As an emphasis on the patience front, I jumped into the East Bank committee presentation briefly the other day and Bob Mendes mentioned that the best case scenario for the James Robertson Parkway rebuild is looking at 2030.

I was a little confused by the presentation, because I have heard that the alignment of the East Bank Boulevard is more aligned with 2nd Ave instead of 1st Ave. Bob Mendes mentioned that the EB Boulevard Phase 1 build-out would only go from Shelby Ave to Victory Ave because the existing Nissan would dead end the Boulevard. This confuses me because I am trying to think through how the Boulevard is aligning with current street grid. I don't think the KVB bridge approach is planned to be rebuilt as part of the EB Boulevard, so why would we be stopping the Boulevard at the existing Nissan footprint? Comparing the most recent site plan that was shared on CityNowNext, it does show the boulevard almost running along 1st Ave. To make that alignment work I would think the KVB bridge approach would need to be modified - otherwise I don't see how the boulevard connects to Shelby. The Boulevard connecting to Shelby is an absolute MUST for this neighborhood to succeed. The boulevard will be the primary north/south road in the neighborhood and if that doesn't connect to one of the few east/west (if not the highest capacity one) connections, then man we screwed up bad.

Am I the only one seeing this and/or am I misreading something??

image.thumb.png.5f46c5348f8c1ca3cdc4e9aa0abfaef5.png

Looking at the actual street grid, 2nd Ave makes sense to be the start of the Boulevard because of the existing infrastructure and no re-work of the KVB bridge. The Boulevard would then run north from Shelby along 2nd Ave alignment (with its new ROW width), run along the north frontage of the proposed mobility hub (not the south) - also making grounding JRP easier from a grade perspective), then run through the RMR site as their "main street" (which may also help explain their patience) and then across/under the CSX tracks to other points north. 

image.thumb.png.ed691eed0792c249b3fe314ce7382f0f.png

image.thumb.png.80b3239cdf2108ba01a60f9dba63fabc.png

I guess I am having a hard time understanding where things stand in terms of the current site plan versus maybe what the design team is working on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it may have something to do with construction and or money. That is just a guess. Probably both but most likely money or lack there of. You forget that you are in Nashville and the plan changes as you go along. Get used to it. It will not be the first time it happens. The plan will change again and again. When a new mayor takes office it will change again. Welcome to Nashville politics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

This confuses me because I am trying to think through how the Boulevard is aligning with current street grid. I don't think the KVB bridge approach is planned to be rebuilt as part of the EB Boulevard, so why would we be stopping the Boulevard at the existing Nissan footprint?

EB Blvd is going to raise up to the current grade of the KVB bridge where it's shown to intersect. There will be minor bridge modifications to allow for an intersection, but no major rebuild of the KVB bridge.

Additionally, Bob was discussing the temporary condition where Fallon is planning to develop their adjacent parcels prior to the rest of the central waterfront developing. They will be responsible for constructing the portion of the boulevard (from KVB to Victory) that fronts their parcels. Other development further along the boulevard will be responsible for constructing their portions of the boulevard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately Ron, the longer I’m here the more I think you’re right. There seems to be no cohesive plan or strategy to most things, no one goal to achieve. Planning for a sustained objective feels piecemeal at best, and not necessarily long term and forward thinking. 

57 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think it may have something to do with construction and or money. That is just a guess. Probably both but most likely money or lack there of. You forget that you are in Nashville and the plan changes as you go along. Get used to it. It will not be the first time it happens. The plan will change again and again. When a new mayor takes office it will change again. Welcome to Nashville politics.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deepdish53 said:

EB Blvd is going to raise up to the current grade of the KVB bridge where it's shown to intersect. There will be minor bridge modifications to allow for an intersection, but no major rebuild of the KVB bridge.

Additionally, Bob was discussing the temporary condition where Fallon is planning to develop their adjacent parcels prior to the rest of the central waterfront developing. They will be responsible for constructing the portion of the boulevard (from KVB to Victory) that fronts their parcels. Other development further along the boulevard will be responsible for constructing their portions of the boulevard.

So does this mean that projects further down the line, such as Station East can proceed with construction and just build the portion of EBB that fronts their property?or do they have to play the waiting game and sit on it until eventually the road and development reaches them? Which would further solidify my point above, that there seems to be a lack of leadership and a clear cohesive approach to the development of the East Bank in general. All those presentations and fancy renderings and meetings along with millions spent on studies and it still feels like we’re at square one.

56 minutes ago, Deepdish53 said:

Very enlightening, thank you! Makes sense that Fallon would build this first stretch of the Boulevard, if nothing else to connect their parcels into the grid. The logistics of raising up to the meet KVB and then getting the MCM to get down to grade is gonna be a fun one to solve haha. 

With the EB Blvd following 1st Ave, I wonder how the JRP rebuild will ultimately deal with accessible sidewalks then. Obviously roadways differ from buildings and we get steep roads/sidewalks everywhere, but it will be interesting to play to the wait and see game on JRP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Unfortunately Ron, the longer I’m here the more I think you’re right. There seems to be no cohesive plan or strategy to most things, no one goal to achieve. Planning for a sustained objective feels piecemeal at best, and not necessarily long term and forward thinking. 

Yes this was the issue with rushing approval through like they did, tons of costs are suddenly popping up🤯

• 2 weeks later...

The developers of Rangewater Oldham (5 stories, 350 units, internal garage) are suing Metro claiming the city purposefully put its permits on hold to prevent it from building on land earmarked to become the new neighborhood's "backbone" boulevard.

Now, plans to build at 201 Cowan St. are "no longer feasible," Atlanta-based RangeWater Real Estate and New York private equity firm Prospect Ridge Advisors state in the lawsuit filed in federal court on March 8.

The developer, doing business as AB PR QOZB IV Property LLC, worked with Metro for months to submit preliminary and advanced permit applications, according to the lawsuit. Metro did not raise any "material concerns" about the plans, and the company purchased the 3.8-acre property for $12.5 million in September 2021, securing a $59.6 million construction loan the same day. Metro approved the developer's demolition permit less than two weeks later, and the land was cleared by the end of October.

But then the permit process hit a snag — Metro refused to approve a grading permit for the site, bringing construction to a halt. Metro explained that the development site lies in an area "presently engaged in a planning process to determine public infrastructure needs" and stated Metro "may be engaging with you in the near term for possible acquisition for those purposes," according to the lawsuit.

While the rough concept of an arterial boulevard on the East Bank was presented as part of the East Bank Planning Study process beginning in April 2021, it's not clear precisely when Metro identified which parcels it would need to purchase to construct the multimodal corridor. The north-south boulevard is a cornerstone of Metro's plans to redevelop the area and would stretch down the bank's entire length into River North. The Imagine East Bank plan describes the road — which would include dedicated bus lanes, traffic lanes and 20-foot-wide sidewalks — as "the foundation for the East Bank's future urban street grid."

Metro has allocated about $40 million toward buying six unidentified parcels since December 2021, and the state has agreed to assist in land acquisition. But whether the city or state has offered to purchase this developer's land remains unclear.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2024/03/17/east-bank-housing-developer-says-nashville-halted-permits-planned-boulevard/72942608007/

Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 3.19.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 3.15.45 AM.png

• Thanks 1

Is Metro even ready to get the job done over here? How long has this been on the boards? I think between this and a few other projects looming on the EB, Metro may end up getting sued even more. 

They have developers lined up with approvals in place, but because Metro can't figure out the infrastructure and is slow walking permits, they may end up being in hot water.  This goes to show that Metro needs to get their act together rather quickly over this spine road. They need to make the tough decisions and get these items negotiated and make the funds available otherwise more and bigger developers will either sue or back out or even just not consider the EB.

I know what a few of you will say and that is give them time its complicated. They need to go ahead and get the job done. I feel like Metro is now dragging their feet and doing a half A$$ job not really wanting to finish what they started.  Maybe they underestimated the cost. If that is the case, we can blame that on Cooper, but need to go back to council with their hat in their hands and blame the man with that plan.

Either way something is wrong on the East Bank. You let these developers build because at this stage in the game you should have your act together and not be changing the plan or have no plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1