East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

40 minutes ago, colemangaines said:

It's really frustrating to hear this guy frame an amenity like TPAC as "costing" tax revenue because something more profitable isn't going in there. Meanwhile he left out the new Titans stadium, which is costing the taxpayer actual money, where you could make the same argument and say that the stadium site could instead bring in much more tax revenue if used for 600ft+ mixed use skyscrapers.

That'd be true if we were bringing the Titans to Nashville right now from another city with the new stadium. The Titans are here now as everyone knows, and it was either use hotel/motel tax for a new stadium or general obligation/property taxes for a renovation. Titans had way too much leverage in existing lease to assume they would just leave and we could then put skyscrapers here, in my opinion. 

Edited by nashvylle

Thing is that Metro needs to work real hard to get developers interested in finishing the buildout of any available space, after Nissan is demolished. The need for affordable housing and open green spaces is definitely there, but in order to capitalize on tax revenue from this area large and I mean LARGE scale development of remaining space needs to happen quickly.

25 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

To me, TPAC on the East Bank is a great thing! TPAC would serve as a great gateway to the East Bank. It would be creating a landmark for the East Bank for pedestrians coming across the river rather than just another commercial building. 

FWIW, as cool and sexy as they may be, I don't think we need more East Bank "landmarks."

The Titans stadium and the park facing the river are already huge landmarks for the East Bank. I would rather focus on vibrant, mixed-use, walkable neighborhoods rather than more "landmarks." Residents want wide sidewalks, safe streets, shady tree canopies, grocery stores, shops, restaurants, convenient transportation, playgrounds for kids, dog parks, etc. "More landmarks" is far down the list of priorities.

Even if we wanted to, I agree with @smeagolsfree that we just can't afford to sacrifice more tax revenue for TPAC.  We genuinely need all the tax revenue we can get out the East Bank if we're going to come close to covering our stadium obligations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, nashville born said:

how novel would that be;  taking a train to the stadium...

They can already do that if the trains would only run on Sundays, but they can't do that because they are limited due to safety issues with the lack of PTC on the system. 

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

It shows that we prioritize establishments like this over money. Yes we need housing, but there is a balance to these things that makes a city. Having TPAC and the Titans Stadium creates a nice entertainment hub on the East Bank that can compliment the commercial and people living around it.

The priority was and is paying for the stadium. Not making politicians look good and not taking Metro further into debt. No Metro is not going to be paying for this, but they would be giving up valuable land and sacrificing tax dollars something I do not think the Metro council had in mind when they voted on the project. They were looking at the numbers to generate tax revenue to PAY for the stadium. If TPAC wants to go at the PSC metals site, then let the state work with Carl Ichan and Martha Ingram to make it happen there. Why do billionaires always want free crap for their pet projects along with the state wanting a free ticket as well. If the state really wants to build a nice facility, they have the prison site in the Nations. They could build a super nice state of the art, ARTs campus there. You could do TPAC, a nice arts museum, a sculpture garden and who knows what else there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is turning into an  argument that I really don’t want to see. But I do think that TPAC will be part of the East Bank development process, regardless if we all agree or not. I think all the things 

52 minutes ago, go_outside said:

Residents want wide sidewalks, safe streets, shady tree canopies, grocery stores, shops, restaurants, convenient transportation, playgrounds for kids, dog parks, etc

Mentioned above can and will be part of the plan, remember there’s a lot of land to develop along the East Bank. And Metro’s portion is only a small part of the full picture, we will see the Station East, GBT, and multiple others evolve and there’s already plans for many hotels, plus we still haven’t seen what Oracle will offer. And I’m sure we will see the PSC site redeveloped in the near future, that’s just a matter of time. Maybe one of the other companies that bid on the Metro deal will decide to take the initiative to make a deal with PSC and build their vision there , one never knows.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, go_outside said:

FWIW, as cool and sexy as they may be, I don't think we need more East Bank "landmarks."

The Titans stadium and the park facing the river are already huge landmarks for the East Bank. I would rather focus on vibrant, mixed-use, walkable neighborhoods rather than more "landmarks." Residents want wide sidewalks, safe streets, shady tree canopies, grocery stores, shops, restaurants, convenient transportation, playgrounds for kids, dog parks, etc. "More landmarks" is far down the list of priorities.

Even if we wanted to, I agree with @smeagolsfree that we just can't afford to sacrifice more tax revenue for TPAC.  We genuinely need all the tax revenue we can get out the East Bank if we're going to come close to covering our stadium obligations.

What are you talking about.

The State of Tennessee is the one putting up hundreds of millions dollars if not a billion dollars to help build this area.

It's their money so they have some input on what gets done with it.

Edited by Argo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Argo said:

What are you talking about.

The State of Tennessee is the one putting up hundreds of millions dollars if not a billion dollars to help build this area.

It's their money so they have some input in what gets done with it.

Nashville would be essentially donating the (extremely valuable) land. We can't afford that because we need that land to help pay for the $2.1 billion(!) Titans stadium.

If the State wants Nashville to do things that will bankrupt the city, we need to politely decline.

Edited by go_outside
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, smeagolsfree said:

They can already do that if the trains would only run on Sundays, but they can't do that because they are limited due to safety issues with the lack of PTC on the system. 

I meant a  rail transit system that people in different parts of the city could take from their neighborhood and end up at the stadium.

17 hours ago, nashville born said:

I meant a  rail transit system that people in different parts of the city could take from their neighborhood and end up at the stadium.

That may never happen. It is something I think we all want to see but is in the realm of fantasy and science fiction until the robots take over.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Tennessee Lookout has a new article detailing the Fallon Co.'s proposals and the mathematical difficulty of meeting the rosy revenue projections that Mayor Cooper and Titans lobbyists used to sell the stadium deal. 

See East Bank developer proposal hints at potential struggle to keep revenue, housing promises.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, go_outside said:

The Tennessee Lookout has a new article detailing the Fallon Co.'s proposals and the mathematical difficulty of meeting the rosy revenue projections that Mayor Cooper and Titans lobbyists used to sell the stadium deal. 

See East Bank developer proposal hints at potential struggle to keep revenue, housing promises.

Isn't Fallon's proposal for just 30 acres, and not all the acres owned by Metro that will be developed? 

The article states that metro estimates the infrastructure costs to be $753MM, and Fallon would generate $1BN for all market rate units or just under $753MM for the trade of affordable housing and TPAC. So.. aren't we missing the ground lease income and RET for remaining acres? 

• Like 3

On 10/9/2023 at 5:53 PM, go_outside said:

So it appears the "amended" proposal is actually just a different scheme in which TPAC is located at an alternative site and Parcel A & B is completely left out (presumably because those wouldn't change?). Keep in mind, Parcel A is fully affordable housing at 380 units on top of the mobility hub. Reading the two different plans, it seems like the "amended" proposal is Metro seeking different options. Presumably, Fallon would be able to make that call depending on how the finances work through. That is why they are the Master Developer.

Looking further at the amended proposal section, a big driver to some of the amended proposal is $75 million in "external infrastructure" that apparently Metro asked for the developers to explore. In order to make that expense pencil, Fallon is saying it would take 12.5 years to pay that additional expense versus a 10 year payoff by Metro.

image.png.7ca623cc3ce61f42cbc587fbbb1abd5c.png

To me, reading the "amended proposal" feels more like options than anything else. Maybe a develop here could help me understand a bit more or correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

On 10/9/2023 at 5:56 PM, nashvylle said:

The article states that metro estimates the infrastructure costs to be $753MM, and Fallon would generate $1BN for all market rate units or just under $753MM for the trade of affordable housing and TPAC. So.. aren't we missing the ground lease income and RET for remaining acres? 

The Ground Lease and Real Estate Taxes if no TPAC and no Affordable Housing is included appears to equal just north of $1 billion dollars.

The Ground Lease and Real Estate Taxes when TPAC and affordable housing (based on the primary plan) appears to equal just shy of $630 million. 

Both figures are over 30 years.

*Deep Breath*

So to include almost 70% of all affordable housing - IN JUST THE FIRST 30 ACRES - Metro is able to cover all but $124 million (over 30 years, which is a typical repayment period on bonds). Obviously this doesn't include other costs (such as civil services, maintenance, etc), but we are talking about the primary bid covering almost 84% of infrastructure costs. We still have the red outlined areas (see below) to go that need to be developed and bring in tax revenue and presumably Ground Lease payments. 

On 9/20/2023 at 3:33 PM, Bos2Nash said:

I would presume once Nissan is demolished there will be another development RFP for development. What parcels that contains, I am not really sure. Looking at the remaining parcels, I would think It could theoretically be 3 different RFPs (the 3 red outlines) or as many as five RFPs (the blue dashed could the larger parcels up). All the land would be ground leases as well as Metro has repeatedly said they will not sell the land. I believe the Central Waterfront Park should/would be incorporated into any RFP for development so it would be built with private dollars. From what I have heard, the park is also part of the stormwater strategy for the stadium and EB as a whole so it should be incorporated into all the developments. If we are getting 1,100 affordable units in the first 30 acres, I can only imagine what these remaining parcels can bring!

image.thumb.png.1e311536bc1fcac86e0d589f68494dbe.png

With these parcels being ground lease, it would behoove the developers to get things built as quickly as possibly because the lease holder will be making annual ground lease payments.

I would imagine the parcel between Woodland and James Robertson will be the last parcel to be redeveloped to incorporate any future rebuild of James Robertson viaduct. Designs of which are included in the RFQ DeepDish mentioned on the previous page.

The article says itself "Metro Nashville estimated last year it would have to come up with $753 million to cover all the infrastructure costs necessary to build up the East Bank.". So if we cover the vast majority of those costs within the first 30 acres we absolutely should push for more "public wants". 

I’m respectful of your opinion, and some aspects are required understandably. I’m just throwing my two cents out there, and as I mentioned I know it will draw criticism. I definitely am not a urban planner or engineer of any sort, just a person who loves the idea of a dense,tall urban landscape and feel that large parks and gardens should be left to suburban areas . And unfortunately unlimited height has a different meaning here in Nashville, unlimited to the limit of 750 feet. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1