East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

That’s not a fair comparison, NYC has both. And I’m not saying that parks and green spaces aren’t necessary anywhere in Nashville, I’m talking about the central core which the East Bank will be a part of. I love Centennial park as I do many others, that’s not what I’m referring too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:04 AM, markhollin said:

Drift Hotel (6 & 7 stories, 110 rooms, renovation of former Stadium Inn) update.

I still can't believe this building wasn't demolished and the site blessed by multiple priests before starting over. No doubt they know better than me, but there's no way I'd let anyone I know visiting Nashville - stay there. Renovation or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 2:17 PM, markhollin said:

A document Fallon submitted to Metro notes the phase one component could offer up to 60 percent of the future residences as affordable. The first building could be fully affordable housing (380 units) with 30,000 square feet of retail. A mid-2027 delivery is envisioned.

Subsequent additions during the first phase could include two hotels and two residential buildings.

East Bank, Phase One, Sept 12, 2023, render 3.png

With the way things are with the economy, I am now beginning to understand why they are using the words "could" and "envision".

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, andywildman said:

Maaaan if we're not building residential or hotel above a future TPAC, we're wasting valuable space that could serve either to generate tax revenue (for that costly East Bank infrastructure) or badly needed affordable housing.

While I agree in theory, that makes things exponentially more expensive and inherently un-affordable. As we have learned from the Polk Building, structurally building above a theater space like this would require a robust structural system. Something that many developers would not be willing to take on (if any). 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

While I agree in theory, that makes things exponentially more expensive and inherently un-affordable. As we have learned from the Polk Building, structurally building above a theater space like this would require a robust structural system. Something that many developers would not be willing to take on (if any). 

Yes. That's one of the main purposes for having the whole 33 acre campus to accommodate those additional uses without having to build above the various auditoriums of the new TPAC facility. Everything I've seen (all publicly disclosed) shows a desire to build a signature dedicated structure overlooking the river. With it backing up to the river, I hope they anticipate all ingress/egress needs for peak usage and concurrent with big events at the Nissan Dome. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us and put a street car down the middle of the spine...

Right off the bat, I wouldn't even say that in an effort to manage expectations haha. I think the dedicated bus lanes will be imperative in reserving that dedicated transit space for future conversation to something like a street car/light rail (if that ever becomes viable here). But I would say it isn't out of the question for future.

The one issue I have with a "street car" type approach is how well that converts to an actual light rail type system in the future. Maybe @rookziecould provide some insight to that one. But I would think the rail setup is slightly different for a street car which means a rather large second investment going from street car to light rail. If that is actually the case, I would say let's pursue dedicated bus and then make the rail investment when we have a larger system plan to tie rail together. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

Right off the bat, I wouldn't even say that in an effort to manage expectations haha. I think the dedicated bus lanes will be imperative in reserving that dedicated transit space for future conversation to something like a street car/light rail (if that ever becomes viable here). But I would say it isn't out of the question for future.

The one issue I have with a "street car" type approach is how well that converts to an actual light rail type system in the future. Maybe @rookziecould provide some insight to that one. But I would think the rail setup is slightly different for a street car which means a rather large second investment going from street car to light rail. If that is actually the case, I would say let's pursue dedicated bus and then make the rail investment when we have a larger system plan to tie rail together. 

Agreed 100%.   I'm just hopeful for something that symbolizes a step forward toward rail/mass transit.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...