East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

16 minutes ago, markhollin said:

An analysis done for the city, obtained through a public records request, describes an existing CSX rail line as a "choke point within the East Bank" as well as a "barrier to both transportation and investment and the built environment and disruptor to continuity."

If the tracks remain, according to the report, they would force three key proposed roads — including an expansive "spine" boulevard with dedicated bus lanes — to descend below flood elevation, exposing them to likely flooding during heavy rainfall.

Consultants at Kimley-Horn and Associates Inc., who prepared the advisory report for Metro, recommended solutions that could cost between roughly $400 million and $500 million. That investment in rail construction and upgrades could enable CSX to shut down the line going through the East Bank and route those trains elsewhere.

The report, written in 2023, predicts that "freight rail presence in the East Bank will eventually become obsolete" as more redevelopment occurs.

The report focuses on CSX's "Nashville Terminal main" line, which bisects the East Bank and averages 19 trains per day, as well as another route called "Radnor Cutoff." CSX's major local hub is named Radnor Yard.

The Radnor route travels on a single track over an elevated trestle in East Nashville at the east edge of Shelby Park, and then a bridge over the Cumberland River. The report proposes adding an additional track, either by building an adjacent single-track bridge or tearing down the current bridge and replacing it with a double-track bridge.

That, plus other upgrades along the route, could allow it to handle the current train traffic on the "main" line and potentially extra capacity.

Leaving the "main" line in operation would cost an estimated $60 million in additional East Bank construction because three north-south roads that Metro wants to create would have to run beneath the tracks at clearances required by CSX. To do that, the roads would need to dip below "base flood elevation."

Metro would build retaining walls and pump stations to protect the roads. "However, such infrastructure is not foolproof," the report reads, "and it is likely [the roads] would become submerged during periods of heavy rainfall."

Removing the CSX rail would eliminate that $60 million expense and improve the resiliency of whatever is built.

Removing the rail also creates the potential for a "rails to trails" style extension of the city's Greenway network. It would improve traffic flow at the five crossings where drivers sometimes wait for trains to go by, and eliminate the noise those trains generate in that area.

However, rerouting those trains to the Radnor Cutoff line would increase delays and noise at the eight places where roads cross that existing track, the report notes.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2024/02/06/east-bank-csx-freight-rail-development-trains.html

Were these costs included in the Titan's proposal?? lol this is going to be an expensive boondoggle. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Were these costs included in the Titan's proposal?? lol this is going to be an expensive boondoggle. 

Although I get your point, I feel this situation would not really have been a component of building the new stadium in and of itself. Building the stadium is a separate issue, not really related to the overall plan that unfolded to redevelop the entire East Bank area. It’s very possible that the stadium be built and the remainder of the area stays as is. The desires of Metro and others to build a new neighborhood district, isn’t a Titans problem. And restating the fact that this stadium deal was mostly driven by Metro and the State for purposes other than Football. 

• Like 1

Nope, because this was an unknown at the time, just like the cost of the new bridge across the Cumberland River. That has not been figured into any cost because it is not a sure thing and I do not think the cost of the James Roberston rebuild has been figured in either.

You can't figure in the cost of something without knowing how larger something is, the engineering, when it will be built, etc. You might get in the ballpark, but that is about it. That ballpark could be quite large.

I posted on another forum that the entire East Bank project is going to outlast 3 or 4 mayors, who knows maybe more than that.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Although I get your point, I feel this situation would not really have been a component of building the new stadium in and of itself. Building the stadium is a separate issue, not really related to the overall plan that unfolded to redevelop the entire East Bank area. It’s very possible that the stadium be built and the remainder of the area stays as is. The desires of Metro and others to build a new neighborhood district, isn’t a Titans problem. And restating the fact that this stadium deal was mostly driven by Metro and the State for purposes other than Football. 

I get your point but one of the main selling points of the stadium was unlocking the value of the land surrounding the stadium to help pay for the stadium. If all these costs were properly studied beforehand the analysis would have looked even worse than it did. 

• Like 2

True, this whole East Bank redevelopment is a lot broader than what’s seen on the surface. Pandora’s box is open and it’s going to be very interesting to this all unfold. Optimism is probably all we can hope for at this point, it would be great if they can at least get to a point that private companies could get to starting with their projects ie Station East , Hotels, GBT etc.

We all know this has a potential to become something big, the total land area is probably larger then most midsized cities whole downtowns. With the right people and resources it can easily become the equivalent to what we see in the CBD now , 20-30 years from today. The task of figuring this out and making a master plan is not going to be easy , considering they are basically laying out a whole new city within a city. If there’s going to be a thorn in the neck, it’s going to likely be with CSX with their absurd authority.

• Like 3

CSX was always going to be the biggest, uncontrollable hurdle for the East Bank. It has been talked about on the board, at meetups and in other groups ever since the early public workshops. CSX would need a stupid amount of money paid entirely by other parties to abandon this leg of the line. I believe there can be some creative solutions that would allow the north south streets to succeed. We look at road infrastructure projects all over the nation and world and every single one of them have some crazy challenges that get over come. This is no different and will require alot of creativity to solve. My expectation is set pretty high in that we find a way to achieve going under the tracks and securing against flooding.  Unfortunately, those solutions were never going to be part of the Titans discussion because this study wasn't complete prior to the stadium. 

47 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think the E Bank is going to evolve and expand. When I say expand, I mean into the Driftwood area and whatever is going to go on the scrapyard as well. That is another unknown. Metro will do this in stages over many years outlasting many of us on this board and as I said outlasting many administrations. There will be surprises along the way and disappointments. No one mayor is going to have his or her say on what will happen over the entirely of the EB. Cooper has left his mark and Freddie will leave his mark, while whatever mayor after Freddie will leave theirs as there will still be tons of work to do.

This is another downtown in a manner of speaking that we are building from scratch, and it is going to take decades. Pandora's Box may even be an understatement. Nashville is doing what few cities have the opportunity to do, so it needs to be done right!

To put things into perspective with how long other cities approach these things. East Boston has released their "PLAN: East Boston" plan after FIVE YEARS of community meetings and working through their entire process. I haven't gone through all 189 pages of the Plan yet, but I am interested in what it will capture. The Imagine East Bank Vision Plan is 82 pages and is fairly robust in terms of planning out what the East Bank should be, but there is a long way to go before we even start to see proposals beyond what we have already seen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking at a map, the southbound CSX line in East Nashville diverges and the southeast line goes over the Cumberland at Shelby Park. The southwest line going over the Cumberland presumably is just for trains headed southwest towards Memphis but that traffic could be rerouted and sent on the southeast line.  Then, around Trevecca U. they could build a little connector line so the southwest bound trains could head back in that direction via downtown past Union Station.

Some property would have to bought and a connector built but it seems doable.

• Like 2

I'm just tossing out a "feel" i have from a few years back. I have no idea what the details would be for CSX to reroute their operations around the core of Nashville, but we (posted here about 3 years ago) know the company looked at the feasibility of moving their operations (Radnor Yards) to somewhere south of Davidson County (Williamson/Rutherford/Maury). So is it too late to engage CSX?  Common knowledge has long been to the point that a whole semester project at UTK Architecture school three years ago studied relocating the tracks that run through the core of Nashville. It's a huge operation and one that's enormously beneficial to the region. So I must ask if anyone from the city/state and other municipalities engaged with CSX on this? And were there incentives offered (typical of those offered to corporations who are being recruited to the region)? And was this "obstacle" (IIRC the NP called it) even foreseen by the studies done and the leaders who ushered the latest East Bank redevelopment plans? And then (of course) it must be asked, what if the tracks stay where they are (would that be a disaster)?  Maybe not related (and maybe so)... Hell! Ross Perot Jr. just announced an enormous warehousing/logistics project in Wilson County. Would that have been an option to join that with rail? And TDOT keeps touting some "multi-modal" freight rail alternative to the Interstates through the state. Where's the vision? Maybe they were looked at and dismissed, but I never heard of anything like that? 

Folks, I've never gone wrong by going back to the most basic of questions and accountability.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

One pre-cursor I will say with these renderings is they have the Perkins-Eastman watermark on them, they are the design/planning team who developed the Imagine East Bank Vision Plan. Idk if they are still involved with items such as the East bank Boulevard (Kimley Horn is doing that engineering) or parcels outside of the 30-acre IDA.