East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Speaking specifically to the Music City Mile, which I believe it is! I even recall one of the Titans execs saying they want to "pull the party" to the new stadium. 

I'm gonna say no it's not. I think the Titans are piggy backing on the Music City Mile as a whole because it will land at the area at the front door of the stadium, but I would argue that does not mean that is the primary purpose of the Music City Mile. The "front door" of the stadium also supposedly has something like 15,000 SF of community space that is open everyday (other than gameday presumably). We should look at the MCM as a vital piece of pedestrian/bike infrastructure from a primary standpoint that connects two distinct parts of our city. The MCM was not a creation of the Titans. but rather the Fallon Group who is looking at making the connection to downtown. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I'm gonna say no it's not. I think the Titans are piggy backing on the Music City Mile as a whole because it will land at the area at the front door of the stadium, but I would argue that does not mean that is the primary purpose of the Music City Mile. The "front door" of the stadium also supposedly has something like 15,000 SF of community space that is open everyday (other than gameday presumably). We should look at the MCM as a vital piece of pedestrian/bike infrastructure from a primary standpoint that connects two distinct parts of our city. The MCM was not a creation of the Titans. but rather the Fallon Group who is looking at making the connection to downtown. 

It's not going to be up to you or me or anyone but the developers with the city's blessing and we've seen this show many times before. Sadly, the whole entertainment zone is the trend these professional teams want with a catchment area. The whole "Music City Mile" moniker smacks of marketing A PLACE.  The Titans haven't played up their aim to control much of the area around the stadium but where has that not been the case lately?  It also wouldn't have been very politically popular to disclose that aspect of their new complex  while they were begging for public monies. To think many (most?) of the future tenants around the dome won't be the usual overpriced restaurants and bars and (dare I say?) honky tonkys is naive. It's going to happen and back to my original comment, that's what the Titans want. Cases in point: Truist and Great American BP.  They have residential blocks around them too.  And I'll predict now that the next NFL Draft will not be on Broadway.

I'm not telling you I'm in favor... I'm on record here as opposing any tax subsidies to the team for any new stadium. I think the idea of a dome in Nashville is absurd, but it's what they're getting. I'd argue the greatest engine for Broadway is Bridgestone, followed closely by MCC. Well, what do you think TPAC and Nissan Dome are going to do? Anyone who thinks there won't be places like Fourth Street Live, very artificial and contrived, just doesn't know how these things turn out. Even the renderings show more Broadway than  Addison & Clark. Your dream is admirable, but that's just not how things turn out these days. 

Edited by MLBrumby

MLB your points are valid, understandably there’s going to be restaurants and unfortunately bars surrounding the stadium. But let’s hope for a more sophisticated atmosphere and better zoning to prevent the current circus of lower Broad filtering over and turning a promising new neighborhood into the slime bath and deplorable area that has become LB . TPAC patrons aren’t the same cultural participants as the crowds who visit the honky tonks , and it won’t be in anyone’s best interests to allow a grand venue like that to be surrounded by the craziness that happens across the bridge 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

It's not going to be up to you or me or anyone but the developers with the city's blessing and we've seen this show many times before. Sadly, the whole entertainment zone is the trend these professional teams want with a catchment area. The whole "Music City Mile" moniker smacks of marketing A PLACE.  The Titans haven't played up their aim to control much of the area around the stadium but where has that not been the case lately?  It also wouldn't have been very politically popular to disclose that aspect of their new complex  while they were begging for public monies. To think many (most?) of the future tenants around the dome won't be the usual overpriced restaurants and bars and (dare I say?) honky tonkys is naive. It's going to happen and back to my original comment, that's what the Titans want. Cases in point: Truist and Great American BP.  They have residential blocks around them too.  And I'll predict now that the next NFL Draft will not be on Broadway.

I'm not telling you I'm in favor... I'm on record here as opposing any tax subsidies to the team for any new stadium. I think the idea of a dome in Nashville is absurd, but it's what they're getting. I'd argue the greatest engine for Broadway is Bridgestone, followed closely by MCC. Well, what do you think TPAC and Nissan Dome are going to do? Anyone who thinks there won't be places like Fourth Street Live, very artificial and contrived, just doesn't know how these things turn out. Even the renderings show more Broadway than  Addison & Clark. Your dream is admirable, but that's just not how things turn out these days. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't have restaurants and entertainment. Apologies for how that came across. I'm saying the party atmosphere of Broadway is something we should not be welcoming to. The UDO for the Fallon developments (and East bank as a whole) still needs to be developed, voted on and run through the public process. That public process will be very hotly contested about wanting more reasonable F&B and Hospitality uses. Clearly the voices in the city are powerful, just look at what happened at Bellemeade Plaza and the NIMBYs chopped it down. The positive voices about how the zoning will work around the stadium is going to be imperative to achieving a true live/work/play atmosphere.

We should be targeting something similar to the Hub on Causeway in Boston (yea yea I made a reference to Boston lol) for the kind of development or the Bullfinch Triangle as a whole for the diversity of uses. Yes there will be some bars over there, but it has the makings of an actual neighborhood. Put the zoning in place that make these kinds of places want to be built, and entity owners like Steve Smith won't want to go over there and pay the rents that will be demanded because the market is too hot for it. While the Titans are pandering for public money, the zoning is still in the hands of the public support and officials. The folks that have to bring that zoning to the table are going to be very much on the city's side rather than the Titan's side.

The NFL Draft should absolutely be on Broadway again (if/when it comes back to Nashville). Broadway is why it was so successful. I'm pretty sure the NFL Draft barely even touched Nissan Stadium while here. In theory it could be held in the "bowl" at the main entrance of the stadium, but that can't hold near the number of people as Lower Broadway can. Las Vegas hosted their draft on the strip (specifically the Bellagio water I believe). KC held theirs almost 7 miles away from Arrowhead. For years the Draft was held in Radio City Music Hall. Nothing about the Draft needs to be associated to the stadium of the host city. Why move the Draft away from the party scene??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I respect that view, and no apologies needed! I also understand the negatives to the Broadway spillover. I'm an old fart at 53, and I've been practicing law with some really venal people. No doubt, that's been the biggest cause of turning me into a cynic looking to retire in the next decade. The curse of a cynic is reality, and the curse of reality is the abandonment of hope. That's an extreme statement, but makes a point. In this case, would the EB become like Boston?  Wow! I wish.* I would love to see true, organic (at least looking) development around the new dome. Regarding the intentions of the parties involved in its development, I hope to be proved wrong. I really do! 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

MLB , hold on to that dream my friend! It’s what obviously makes you happy and we all need something good for our souls. I’m 62 and getting into that position of calmness and contentment, hopefully I’ll be able to stay healthy enough to see some of these new things happen in my newly found (2006) favorite city. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Argo said:

Interesting as to how they never put any numbers as to what affordable housing is.

Of 1,550 total residential units, Mendes said the current breakdown would be:

• 855 market-rate units
  • 600 affordable housing units split between two buildings that are 100% affordable housing
  • 95 affordable housing units in market-rate buildings
  • A minimum of five residential buildings
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

This just says market -rate housing and affordable so the cost to the consumer will vary and there is no way to put a price on it because it is based on income.

Yes. Additionally, this won't come to fruition for several years. Who knows what that number is in 3 - 6 years? Could be higher - or lower. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Do you not understand what market rate housing or affordable is?

Affordable is income-based housing.

If this were Jackson MS it would be different than Nashville so there is no definitive answer. It is different for wherever you live based on different factors. Are they going to be doing Workforce housing, Section 8 housings, Low-income housing, Subsidized housing? 

This just says market -rate housing and affordable so the cost to the consumer will vary and there is no way to put a price on it because it is based on income.

Yeah I do. That's why I have the commonsense to question why they call it affordable. So apparently it's a slight of hand word salad con. The working class can't afford to live in the so called "affordable housing". The word salad is also for the developer's lackeys and the cheerleading simp hanger-ons to feel good about being body servants for the "developers".

Edited by Argo
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1