East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

38 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

While WeGo Central has a reputation for bad homelessness, it really isnt bad at all. I've been taking the bus more and more on trips into downtown, especially on the weekdays, and it really is not bad. There may be a couple homeless citizens here and there, but its not like it is overrun with homelessness and crime. 

You must be unfamiliar then with the WEgo stops by Weiss Liquors on Main Street.  Almost always there are passed out homeless folks  there.  I see little  difference to be expected  in this proposed Transit Center.  I think your optomism may  not  be warrented in this case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deepdish53 said:

Metro has the East Bank Infrastructure RFQ out right now that includes preliminary design of the rebuild of James Robertson (with the goal being to essentially remove the viaduct cutting through the EB). That's definitely the plan and something that Metro is recognizing as a priority.

Love-it GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I hope they build it a lot faster than they have done with their big project here  in Charlotte Centre South. It is in our booming South End market and still has not gotten off the ground.  They were chosen as a developer in 2016 with our Charlotte Housing Authority to redevelop this big track of land.  We call them Fallow development as they like to let the land sit.

I think there is also a big difference between master developer and actual developer. Sometimes things don't materialize in a master plan. Contrary to Charlotte, Fallon has done a great job with Boston Seaport, specifically the Fan Pier (which is just a portion of the Seaport). Seaport Boulevard (East Bank Boulevard equivalent w/o bus lanes) was built prior to 2007 and from 2007 through present day (16 years!) the neighborhood has been going gangbusters. Their boulevard did not need the bus lanes because the silver line runs underground for much of Seaport.

Again, Nashville has been pretty spoiled by how quickly so much of the development has come out of the ground especially in recent years. Seaport is still filling in parcels and the Boulevard was built over 16 years ago. 

In the article I saw local firms EOA Architects and Barge Design Solutions are part of Fallon's team. With EOA's involvement I wonder if Bjarke Ingles Group (BIG), who EOA is teamed up with on TPAC, is at all involved with the Fallon.

One thing that the article does not state is the value of the lease between Metro and Fallon. Maybe this is all part of the negotiation period they are entering now, but I would think the value of the lease would be a big part of the scorecard. Looking over it there does not appear to be anything in the scorecard about lease value. The "Financial Approach and Proposal" has some questions in the RFP (does anyone have these?) for bidders to answer and a weakness of Fallon's was infrastructure funding. Hines also had negative comments in regards to infrastructure funding. This land is suuuuuppper coveted, why on earth would Metro not be able to capitalize on that from a monetary standpoint??

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Rick Dalton said:

Charlotte South End is not exactly the Boston Seaport lol

Charlotte's Southend is actually one of the top markets in the southeast for new apartment construction.  I was just mentioning it because everyone here is surprised it is not further along.  Boston is not comparable with Charlotte or Nashville either and that is where they are based.   They have high barriers of entry for developers and very limited land options.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Argo said:

It looks like they're showing the design for the TPAC.

I’m thinking the same, at least a placeholder. In 11th rendering from top behind the Bridge Building you can make out what appears to be a building with multiple floors and escalators and in the 14th rendering it clearly shows “ TPAC CAFE “ which seems to be the ground floor of same building. In the last rendering marked Site Plan this shows as “E” which does appear like it could be a theater type building. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

I’m thinking the same, at least a placeholder. In 11th rendering from top behind the Bridge Building you can make out what appears to be a building with multiple floors and escalators and in the 14th rendering it clearly shows “ TPAC CAFE “ which seems to be the ground floor of same building. In the last rendering marked Site Plan this shows as “E” which does appear like it could be a theater type building. 

Edited... after seeing that Bldg E is exactly the one you're referring to. I'll keep this (not to show how carelessly I read the posts here sometimes), but because it has the diagram. 

The building labeled with E in this diagram might even be the three theaters they'd need to build to replace the existing theaters at TPAC. The section closest to the river even looks like it has a high stage roof. 

On 9/12/2023 at 3:17 PM, markhollin said:

East Bank, Phase One, Sept 12, 2023, diagram.png

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

The biking connection for the pedestrian bridge into the east bank as illustrated here is pretty bad.

A person bicycling east over the river headed towards Shelby Park would be stuck looping under the bridge pointed north, around a switch-back, and then back under the bridge headed south towards what's currently Davidson.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Argo said:

That is very sparse parking for NFL game days and large tradeshows.

The lease for the stadium requires 2,000 parking spots available for the stadium. But remember there is also parking maximums now on developments.

EDIT: the CityNowNext article references that a parking structure of 600 (out of 2,000 required), or 30% of all lease required parking, will be built directly behind the existing gas station in Phase 1 of the development. The gas station was not included as part of the master development agreement because it is not owned by Metro.

Nobody investing this amount of money is "dumb".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Affordable housing and TPAC will cost 370 million in tax revenue if built on the East Bank. That is pretty much what the article says. 

Developer's winning East Bank bid forecasts Metro tax revenue, impacted by affordable housing and TPAC - Nashville Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

It's really frustrating to hear this guy frame an amenity like TPAC as "costing" tax revenue because something more profitable isn't going in there. Meanwhile he left out the new Titans stadium, which is costing the taxpayer actual money, where you could make the same argument and say that the stadium site could instead bring in much more tax revenue if used for 600ft+ mixed use skyscrapers.

Edit: Just remembered the state allocated money for the new TPAC facility so that part of the comparison is unfair on my part.

Edited by colemangaines
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, colemangaines said:

It's really frustrating to hear this guy frame an amenity like TPAC as "costing" tax revenue because something more profitable isn't going in there. Meanwhile he left out the new Titans stadium, which is costing the taxpayer actual money, where you could make the same argument and say that the stadium site could instead bring in much more tax revenue if used for 600ft+ mixed use skyscrapers.

I think the only reason why it is being mentioned is because of the 130 acre tax district that will be  around the new stadium; an estimated $682 million will come from a 50% sales tax capture.