East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 3:36 PM, markhollin said:

Real estate developers have passed the first of three checkpoints Metro created to decide who wins the right to build on city-owned land surrounding the site of a proposed $2.1 billion domed professional football stadium.

Metro now is evaluating responses to its formal "request for quotation" that initially pertains to 30 acres on the East Bank of the Cumberland River. Responses were due March 3, with more submittals to come from selected finalists.

At least 10 developers showed interest in the bid by participating in a January pre-offer meeting with Metro, according to a list of attendees provided by the Metro Department of Finance.

The names included some of the largest and highest-profile developers in the country. Those developer names include Brookfield Properties, Hines, Lincoln Property Co., Sterling Bay and The Fallon Co.

Participation in the pre-offer meeting does not mean a developer went on to submit a response. Design firms Perkins Eastman and Kimley-Horn appear to be involved in certain bids, as those firms were the subject of a special-called Feb. 22 meeting of the Metro Procurement Standards Board

Zak Kelley, an official at Metro Finance, cited Metro law in declining to disclose the number of active bidders or their identities.

"I can only advise that evaluation and interviews are ongoing," Kelley said.

Kelley's comment references the first two of the three steps in Metro's East Bank bid process. Development teams can earn a maximum of 100 points in each round; the winner will have the highest cumulative score, according to Metro bid documents.

In the first round, developers are awarded points based on: team background; financial resources; experience in relevant past projects; a diversity plan; and a narrative describing how they would approach this project. For that final criterion, Metro's bid poses 11 questions, touching on subjects such as creating a unique neighborhood, working in flood-prone areas and building housing for a range of incomes.

Bidders deemed to be "qualified" will advance to the second round, which is an interview. Five people are on the panel, Cooper said.

From there, developers will advance to the third stage, where they will be evaluated on specifics such as a "development and infrastructure plan and approach; financial approach and proposal; and team leadership structure," according to Metro documents.

It's not clear when Metro will complete the bid process and announce which firm will win the bid. "Metro reserves the right for additional rounds if deemed necessary," reads Metro's request for quotation.

Cooper previously told the Business Journal that he hopes Metro has finalized that pick before he leaves office. Metro intends to lease the land to its selected developer.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/03/16/metro-east-bank-rfq-bid-update-stadium-developer.html

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 3.35.39 PM.png

Any update on the RFQ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 7:03 PM, Argo said:

A developer for the whole thing or one of the letter blocks.

On 6/17/2023 at 7:57 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I think it is one master developer for the entirety of the Sports Authority property. They would serve as the master developer. That does not mean they would be the sole developer of projects in the footprint. There could be other companies sign on and developer portions of the footprint such as hotel companies, residential companies, etc. This company would oversee the entire area. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

It will be the Master Developer of the 7 parcels outlined A-G. I believe the Sports Authority/Metro still own the land that the existing stadium is sitting on and the parcels that "straddle" Woodland Street, but those would be under different development agreements. I believe the point of the Master Developer of these parcels is to specifically get the development around the stadium going (unlike last time we built an NFL Stadium). We discussed this a little bit at the meetup this weekend, but alot will also come down to the infrastructure that needs to be put into place for the East Bank along with the EB Boulevard. 

The Master Developer will be responsible with coming up with an overall development plan and then selling it to other developers to invest and build within that plan (not to say they couldn't develop some, but extremely unlikely to develop all). Master Plans are fluid throughout development, but the overall vision will be utilized to help with the next steps of the "Central Waterfront" district in establishing the UDO that will ultimately get the other EB Districts integrated into it. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.... I know nothing about the guidelines and restrictions in the selection process, but I can't help wondering what/how things would be if they assigned one-fourth to each one and then let it become a "race" of sorts. I wouldn't be surprised if that would be logistical nightmare and a great deal of the incentive for these developers is to "own" the whole project. As they've whiffed on Circle South, Lincoln doesn't have an impressive record developing locally. The fourth one I have not heard of. I'm sure the selection committee will be looking at how well capitalized they all are.  And they need to put in hard deadlines.  Really wish they'd include a requirement or partial funding for a pedestrian bridge from the foot of Church to the East Bank. 

Edited by MLBrumby

52 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Four developers are battling for the rights to build on the land surrounding the Tennessee Titans' $2.1 billion domed stadium set to rise on the East Bank, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the bid.

Sources told the Business Journal that the four finalists are teams led by Hines, Tishman Speyer, Lincoln Property Co. and The Fallon Co. LLC.

Cooper has said he wants Metro to make a selection before he leaves office, as the East Bank is a central part of the legacy of his four-year term. Nashville voters will elect a new mayor on Sept. 14.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/08/24/east-bank-developer-bid-metro-stadium.html

This whole process is very interesting to me. Something that hasn't been discussed is what it will cost these developers (ie what revenue it will bring to Metro) to be the master developer. These four finalists are four very large, and very deep pocketed teams. I would think they would want control over how these 30 acres works out, otherwise why would they want to be involved, and as such there is a cost associated with that control. I'm clearly no lawyer and have no idea on the complexities of the ground lease scenarios that will be in play (Metro is the owner of the land > one of these teams is the Master Developer > developments are ground leasing Metro owned land via the master developer), but there must be a pretty penny involved with becoming the master developer here, right? I would think the development rights of this land could be a huge number.

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Hmmm.... I know nothing about the guidelines and restrictions in the selection process, but I can't help wondering what/how things would be if they assigned one-fourth to each one and then let it become a "race" of sorts. I wouldn't be surprised if that would be logistical nightmare and a great deal of the incentive for these developers is to "own" the whole project. As they've whiffed on Circle South, Lincoln doesn't have an impressive record developing locally. The fourth one I have not heard of. I'm sure the selection committee will be looking at how well capitalized they all are.  And they need to put in hard deadlines. 

I agree with the question marks for Lincoln. I had the same thoughts when I saw them too. Fallon Company is very reputable and have a track record to back it up. I always compared The Gulch to the Seaport in Boston (which Fallon was integrally involved with), but the East Bank can be that comparison even more so. So to me it is right up Fallon's street to pull off.  I don't really like Hines for this. Not because they don't have the track record, but they already have control over a very large tract of land in Midtown that is understandably moving slow. To me that leaves Tishman Speyer and Fallon. Both have the track record and both have the pockets. I guess it just comes down to there team and what kind of money they are putting up.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, markhollin said:

CityNowNext has an overview of the Transit Hub concept for the East Bank development area:

https://citynownext.com/2023/09/07/series-regional-transit-infrastructure-planned-for-the-east-bank-in-nashville/#more-35597

Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 6.17.31 AM.png

How does this work?  Woodland and James Robertson are at two entirely different levels at that point.  I have not yet seen a solution as to how these  two new roads work with the bridge rampings.   Right now you drive under James Robertson  at the corner of the old truck stop property and the Justice Center is at grade.  Looks to me like the disruption to Victory Memorial Bridge for East bank Boulevard to cross at grade will be  massive in redesign.  Routing all the traffic over the existing Woodland Bridge will be Chaos worse than the Broadway Viaduct replacement IMO.  Two lanes of existing ramp  into downtown  added with the two with an alternating center from the existing Victory.  That's FIVE lanes being funneled into the  two existing on Woodland and the load on Victory is hugely more heavy than that on Woodland currently.  Getting north to reconnect with James Robertson at the Square will be a nightmare clusterf**k. on both sides of the river.

Edited by Baronakim

11 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I remember hearing one of my first years in Nashville, that there were whispers of a James Robertson rebuild. Similar to a number of items in the Vision Plan, rebuilding James Robertson to ground it and slope the bridge similar to Woodland is going to need to happen for the success of the EB and the Boulevard. I don't think we can try and claim success for a new urban neighborhood and still have a raised viaduct cutting right through it. While it would be a traffic nightmare for a short time, IMO it would absolutely be in the best interest for the city and the long run to rebuild it now, before any new development gets into the area.

Rebuilding it now IMO offers no advantage and there is no "short time" solution.  There is a power transformer yard  between the bridge ramps to  probably relocate and rebuilding the elevated bridge approaches and the elevated James Robertson to grade for several blocks  would be MUCH more disruptive than the Broadway Viaduct project...probably at least a year of chaos  I would think.    The new ramped  bridge approach would just as steep as the existing one on the Woodland bridge.  I think they should take the existing structure down to the pier in the river to reduce the slope to something more reasonable.   The existing rail tracks under the bridges are not used and would be ripped out anyway.   Probably they should do the same thing to the ramp approaches on the Woodland Bridge as well when they finish with the Victory redevelopment.  I think that all of the traffic trying to turn right onto 3rd Ave N. to reconnect with James Robertson around Capitol Hill will be very nasty and all that traffic down Union will be no picnic either.   Anytime  at all is really not a great timing for this work.  The only thing I would suggest saving on the East banks is the east side foundations for the original first bridge over the Cumberland... they still exist and are historic IMO.