Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

12 hours ago, walker said:

Late last night GRDadof3 had the link below posted apparently by mistake to a post in the New projects in Monroe North thread.  I see this morning it’s gone and replaced by the link he meant to post.  But I think the mistaken link was really very interesting and probably better fits in this discussion.  It’s about the writer's experience selling her house in the hot real estate market in the Baxter neighborhood along with some thoughts about the consequences:

cash on the table

Yes! It's a great article. I realized my mistake and deleted it, but was going to repost it in another thread about the housing market. Thanks for reposting. 

Well I was hoping for something a bit more ambitious on the whole lot, because the dinky parking lot really is superfluous, but I'm likely thinking too big for their needs right now.

I am surprised, unless I'm missing something, that the two buildings dont look like they really are going to become one whole piece. The exterior walls of the two structures seem untouched in the plans.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

27 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Well I was hoping for something a bit more ambitious on the whole lot, because the dinky parking lot really is superfluous, but I'm likely thinking too big for their needs right now.

I am surprised, unless I'm missing something, that the two buildings dont look like they really are going to become one whole piece. The exterior walls of the two structures seem untouched in the plans.

Looks like only the roof of the 3-4 season room "connects" the buildings.  Wow, tons of seating in the future!

33 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I like places that have different "rooms" of seating, each with a different feel. Makes it easier to have a conversation. 

Although I will say that the Subway space seems really divided up. 

On 6/17/2017 at 1:36 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I like places that have different "rooms" of seating, each with a different feel. Makes it easier to have a conversation. 

Although I will say that the Subway space seems really divided up. 

They do need more seating, many people walk away when they find out the wait.  Harmony is not a place where you eat and run, its nice to sit and take your time.  With that said, the emphasized take out option is great because of the foot traffic that is always increasing in the neighborhood.  Eastown is slowly putting more focus on pedestrian traffic and this will only help. Gaslight did a good job by removing the traffic lights and there is talk about other changes to Eastown to help push the pedestrian friendly feel.

• Like 1

The building is a success just by the front alone! :) 100% improvement from before.

I would love to see something that isn't a 9 to 5 shop. A place that will be bright and alive into the evening, that the public will want to visit, and will complement the energy that has developed on that part of Wealthy.

Now if only someone can snag the "Tatum" building eventually.

16 hours ago, terra firma said:

Yes, we are finally gaining some traction.   This was kind of a 'fill in' project, but as time has freed up a bit we are once again marching forward.  

We ran into some unforeseeable structural issues which are now remedied, including demo and replacement of some structural components inside the building.  It slowed us down a bunch not to mention taming our  enthusiasm as well..   

We have three decent prospects but to answer the question posed above, no lease has been signed.   We're not  'on the market' yet and won't even try until the facade is buttoned up.    Most interest to date includes restaraunt-bar concepts.    

What would you guys like to see here ?   Ideas ?   We will certainly share details as soon as we have something solid to report, and thanks for the interest !

Some of you around here remember when we used to do luncheon walk-thru tours at other downtown buildings we were renovating (180 monroe, 72 grandville, 200 block of grandville etc) --- when this one is cleaned up I'll try to set one of those up again, perhaps one of my neighbors can cater it.   In the past those events seemed to drive a lot of neighborhood interest, and was a fun way to get plugged into the neighborhood and neighbors. 

Should look like a building- instead of a job site - in a few more weeks.

Standby for updates..

Yes, lunch-n-learns. Please keep us posted if you end up hosting one. 

This isnt Wealthy related, but close.

I just got a flyer about a new ICCF project at 501 Eastern. I see that this was announced a few months ago, but honestly this is the first I've heard of it.

http://iccf.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ICCF-Announces-New-Multi-Family-Project-at-501-Eastern-Final.pdf

WP_20170623_18_06_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.46753e5f094be575c1ac883ccd910235.jpg

Now this isn't that other project that was proposed further down the street (and likely fell-through). This one is directly across the street from the Eastern Ave. CRC, which is all now just abandoned buildings.

This looks pretty exciting! It seems development is finally spilling down Eastern from Wealthy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This isnt Wealthy related, but close.

I just got a flyer about a new ICCF project at 501 Eastern. I see that this was announced a few months ago, but honestly this is the first I've heard of it.

http://iccf.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ICCF-Announces-New-Multi-Family-Project-at-501-Eastern-Final.pdf

WP_20170623_18_06_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.46753e5f094be575c1ac883ccd910235.jpg

Now this isn't that other project that was proposed further down the street (and likely fell-through). This one is directly across the street from the Eastern Ave. CRC, which is all now just abandoned buildings.

This looks pretty exciting! It seems development is finally spilling down Eastern from Wealthy.

Nice!  I like it.

Was wondering how far down the block this will go.  I'm thinking this will fill the entire space between Logan and the alley across from Bemis?

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 6.47.32 AM.png

501 and 505 are owned by "Restoration Row LLC."  ICCF owns 511, 513, and 750 Logan.  So correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like they'll be tearing down what's standing on 505 and 513 Eastern and building over all 5 parcels.  As much as I like this development, I'm sorry to lose 513 Eastern - I wonder if it isn't worth saving?

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 7.05.03 AM.png

Edited by RegalTDP

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Saw today that there are for sale signs on the Wild Bunch building. Interesting to see how fast it moves.

I'll bet Elk Brewery is already on this. Likely knew ahead of time.

Buying this space at some point would have to have been considered crucial for their future growth in their long-range outlook.

20 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I'll bet Elk Brewery is already on this. Likely knew ahead of time.

Buying this space at some point would have to have been considered crucial for their future growth in their long-range outlook.

My guess is that ELK is probably not interested, They have a hard time filling the current tap room and are probably more interested in moving more emphasis to the North west location.  But I could be wrong.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

My guess is that ELK is probably not interested, They have a hard time filling the current tap room and are probably more interested in moving more emphasis to the North west location.  But I could be wrong.

I think you're right. I believe they're more interested in adding production/distribution right now, probably in that Comstock Park area, rather than more restaurant space. You don't have to pay Wealthy St prices to add production space. :P  In the craft brewery world and you've got investors, the only way to grow is getting on store shelves. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

No word on that - but I was told today that Jolly Pumpkin is going in where Black Heron was. Anyone heard anything on THAT either? haha 

That would make sense given that it would be a much lower investment. They would lose out on the whole patio concept, but I think it would be a good location for them.
Also rumor is that Revolution Brewing is looking at cities to build a brewpub in and GR is being considered.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, GVSUChris said:

No word on that - but I was told today that Jolly Pumpkin is going in where Black Heron was. Anyone heard anything on THAT either? haha 

I've got a neighborhood event tonight, I'll ask around. I'm sure Walt isn't going to let that space sit empty for long. 

• Like 1