Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

2 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Dutch Girl Brewery closes

It doesn't seem like we have seen the softening of the brewery/micro brew/brew pub scene in West Michigan yet, but here is one casualty.   Any others that I've missed?  I wonder if all the prospects listed back in December as still on track.....

Suffered from location issues and a pass by traffic.  It was not much of a destination.  Would have done better closer to downtown Grand Haven or Spring Lake.

9 hours ago, mpchicago said:

There was a plan for a retail building in front of D&W, but fell through. I agree, plaza in need of help.  Still wondering who owns that?  Not Spartan Nash? 

They actually started it. There's parts of a foundation underneath the berm close to the sidewalk. It was *this* close to being built. :)

Joe

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Gaslight Village is owned by CWD, and apparently they aren't the best landlords (I know one business owner in there who isn't happy with them). Quite a few businesses have moved out, both retail and office, due to increasing rents and inflexibility. The feeling is that all of CWD's energies are being spent on Breton Village at the expense of GLV. And the music being piped over the loudspeakers is very loud, and tenants have complained, especially when a Lil Wayne song is playing talking about bangin ho's in the shower. 

I don't know who owns the D&W plaza.

A new restaurant going in where Olga's was may help a bit. 

You say that as if bangin ho's in the shower is a bad thing.

• Like 4

UP Spring Lake representative here... :)

Sad to see a business go out but like it was said location and atmosphere were terrible. They were supposed to locate in the village originally but moved into the same building as the tire store and auto parts store. Even if the food and beer were good, I wasn't excited about the location. I think they thought they'd get Vandermill people but then Vandermill closed in the off season. It was always dead there. Never even tried their food as I didn't like the drinks...bummer for them but I feel like they did a lot of things wrong. Spring Lake really needs a solid restaurant. Preferably in the village. A burger/beer place is coming....hope they get it right. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, temporary.name said:

Former Spring Lake resident here; everybody just goes to GH for something that isnt mcdonalds or burger king. 

Former GH resident also here; Spring Lake? Thats on 104 right?

That's why we need a decent restaurant in the village...a destination. GH restaurants are just so so...but they're on the water. 

BTW, I don't think anyone goes to the Burger King here. :)

10 hours ago, mgreven said:

That's why we need a decent restaurant in the village...a destination. GH restaurants are just so so...but they're on the water. 

BTW, I don't think anyone goes to the Burger King here. :)

I've heard the restaurant that's right off of 96 at the Spring Lake exit is pretty good. Can't remember the name. 

GH restaurants aren't so so, they're awful. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, temporary.name said:

Dragon Express and Rainy Day Cafe are excellent. 

But yes, DT GH is mediocre at best for food. Even the Gilmore restaurant is a let down.

My favorite GH restaurant is the Toasted Dill on Washington.  I eat there a couple times a week.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 11:43 PM, jthrasher said:

Did anyone else see that 616-626 Wealthy is listed for sale? $695,000

On 3/9/2017 at 9:58 AM, EastownLeo said:

616-626 is the empty lot and house next to wealthy street bakery, not the strip mall.

Strip mall is 623 wealthy and has had many variations of a full development.  Did the stall because of Lagrand's Issues. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2016/01/wealthy_street_bakery_founders.html

They owned the strip mall for a while.  Do they still?

I noticed today that NAI Wisinski just put up a new for sale sign on the old D & G / Mom's Golden Grill store fronts.  Listing date is 03/15/2017.  It's the usual package deal: $695,000 for the four bays on the north side of the street and the house and vacant lot on the south side. Here's a link to the listing:

Wealthy Investment Opportunity

EDIT: No matter what I try, CARWN isn't letting me link to the specific listing, but you can use the link I posted then scroll down to the 616-619-626 entry and click on it for the detail.

Edited by walker
for the usual typos

1 hour ago, walker said:

I noticed today that NAI Wisinski just put up a new for sale sign on the old D & G / Mom's Golden Grill store fronts.  Listing date is 03/15/2017.  It's the usual package deal: $695,000 for the four bays on the north side of the street and the house and vacant lot on the south side. Here's a link to the listing:

Wealthy Investment Opportunity

EDIT: No matter what I try, CARWN isn't letting me link to the specific listing, but you can use the link I posted then scroll down to the 616-619-626 entry and click on it for the detail.

http://mls.carwm.com/listing/30044033/616-619-626-Wealthy-St-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49503

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 0:47 PM, GRCentro said:

. . .   In such an instance, any new construction would be evaluated separately and it could very well be contemporary in style, a la 12 Weston, for example. In this case, the owner of 746 wants to keep the existing facade and requested to rebuild like for like. The "building" is already fully leased and I'm sure he is eager to get this thing rebuilt asap.

Drove past 746 Wealthy, the building with only a facade, today.  Looks like they are working fast.  A new basement has been excavated and a new foundation has been poured.  It will be interesting to see how they attach a new building to the facade without it falling apart. 

Mlive posted a "slideshow" of all the breweries that have opened (and those that closed) since 1993. It's an interesting list, and I'm happy to see that most of them have stayed open.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/03/grand_rapids-area_brewery_chec.html#incart_2box_news_grand-rapids

What I found interesting is that there is at least one that opened last year that I never heard of. I consider myself relatively on top of the brewery scene but this was the first I've head of East West Brewing Company on Lake Drive. I do like that there is a brewery opening this year almost within walking distance of my house in Wyoming:alc:.

On a (sort of) side note, does anyone know why City Built has taken so long to open? Last I knew they were originally saying that they'd be open in January. Now it's "early" 2017...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChevalierNoir said:

Mlive posted a "slideshow" of all the breweries that have opened (and those that closed) since 1993. It's an interesting list, and I'm happy to see that most of them have stayed open.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/03/grand_rapids-area_brewery_chec.html#incart_2box_news_grand-rapids

What I found interesting is that there is at least one that opened last year that I never heard of. I consider myself relatively on top of the brewery scene but this was the first I've head of East West Brewing Company on Lake Drive. I do like that there is a brewery opening this year almost within walking distance of my house in Wyoming:alc:.

On a (sort of) side note, does anyone know why City Built has taken so long to open? Last I knew they were originally saying that they'd be open in January. Now it's "early" 2017...

City Built has had an insane amount of set backs. From fermentation vessels that weren't properly stamped to meet city guidelines, to Glycol chillers that took months to be delivered and ended up not working properly. Seems like they are getting close, but it would be hard to say an estimate at this point. 

14 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

City Built has had an insane amount of set backs. From fermentation vessels that weren't properly stamped to meet city guidelines, to Glycol chillers that took months to be delivered and ended up not working properly. Seems like they are getting close, but it would be hard to say an estimate at this point. 

I believe they just started brewing their first batches a few weeks ago, and it takes at least a month before you can start serving apparently? I too think they're getting close. Part of me thinks I may have heard about a soft opening date??

17 hours ago, ChevalierNoir said:

I always forget about that one too but it's because it's just that Indian restaurant in Eastown "reimagined." 

41 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I believe they just started brewing their first batches a few weeks ago, and it takes at least a month before you can start serving apparently? I too think they're getting close. Part of me thinks I may have heard about a soft opening date??

I always forget about that one too but it's because it's just that Indian restaurant in Eastown "reimagined." 

I heard May from an investor. Hoping to check it out soon. I am concerned about the scale of their operation. Seems awfully ambitious for a new brewery. 

7 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I heard May from an investor. Hoping to check it out soon. I am concerned about the scale of their operation. Seems awfully ambitious for a new brewery. 

Their brew system is half the size of Creston's, it isn't that big for a brew pub. 

On 3/23/2017 at 2:15 PM, walker said:

Drove past 746 Wealthy, the building with only a facade, today.  Looks like they are working fast.  A new basement has been excavated and a new foundation has been poured.  It will be interesting to see how they attach a new building to the facade without it falling apart. 

This strike anyone as moving a bit fast? A remodel goes bad the second week in February and they are putting in new foundations the 3rd full week in March. Can one design a building and get a building permit that quick?

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

This strike anyone as moving a bit fast? A remodel goes bad the second week in February and they are putting in new foundations the 3rd full week in March. Can one design a building and get a building permit that quick?

Ha, right. Pretty sure that in the time it takes to draw up a plan detailed enough for permits, get the permits, scheduling the concrete company, etc.. it's at least 4 to 6 weeks, probably more in this hot construction market. This has been the plan all along. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...