Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

so what you are saying is it's ok to have a rich developer come take over an elderly womens property ???

Is there no injustice in that? whats going onfor real?

Peter Wege bought out and closed a party store at Wealthy and Fuller, that was a huge draw for drug dealers, and many community activists on Wealthy St mark that as "turning the tide" toward cleaning up that block where all the buildings were dilapidated (incl Wealthy Theatre). Was Wege a bad rich person?

Just BECAUSE the seller is an elderly black woman and just BECAUSE the potential buyer is a white business owner does not mean there is an equation of gentrification or any injustice going on. Businesses and households fail all the time. Every day, hundreds.

-

Typical CRC hollander talk- You are to scared to come to wealthy- Your anscestors are (or should

be) ashamed of you ...

We don't allow name calling or attacks of other members on this board. You're welcome to comment, but keep it civilized.

Drew explain to me how he came in and took this womens property? It was listed for sale by a Realtor ANYONE could have came in and bought it!! Black, White, Asian or any ethnicity you want to name! Facts are Facts the property was left in severe disrepair, the business is/did fail. No RICH WHITE developer stepped in and pushed her into the situation she is now in. Sad I agree but the facts. A court appointed officer who is handling the affairs of her husband is the one that made the decision to sell the property, to place the blame on anyone else after those facts to me is wrongly placed. If you truly loved the area as much as you say you do you would be happy to see a run down piece of property that is not only an eye sore but a hazard to the area fixed as it is clear that she cannot.

I almost wonder if she shouldn't be scrutinized by the court herself for a guardianship or conservatorship. She's sweeping on a daily basis an empty store which has no customers going in and out, and which would have been lost to property tax foreclosure but for the actions of her husband's conservator? These are not the actions of a well person by any stretch of the imagination, no matter how bitter or angry. It's a true shame that those around her seem to be facilitating this instead of helping her deal with reality.

And as for Drew Day, I was going to bother, but I see GR_Urbanist has already handed you your derrier on a platter with a side of humble pie. Nice try, though, I suppose, for substituting any semblance of fact for hype and hyperbole.

http://atomicobject.... Street History

iNTERESTING HISTORY OF WEALTHY ST.

Yes it is interesting. Thanks for posting the link. I like to think I know a lot about GR history but much of this was new to me. For instance, I’d never heard of the Wealthy Theater architect Pierre Lindhout before. I wonder what the other ten neighborhood theaters were that he designed?

Drew, as for your gentrification/injustice etcetera posts, I’m pretty much in the same camp as the other responders. However I can understand how some of the less affluent neighbors might be a little put-off or even intimidated by the Winchester and some of the other new stores. I went to the Winchester once and ordered what I thought was a cup of coffee and they brought out this French Press thingy. My wife showed me what I was supposed to do with it and I ended up with way more caffeine than I wanted or needed. Maybe a French Press is every day stuff for most urbanplaneteers but it was too hoity-toity for this fairly well-off old white guy.

As I remember though, the building that houses the Winchester was in much worse shape than Ms. Ruby’s place. It had major structural issues and was about ready to collapse. So it’s not like the Winchester displaced some essential neighborhood business. Same for the other new businesses. And the nice appearance of the Winchester adds to the neighborhood whether one ever goes inside and orders a cup of coffee or not.

Yes it is interesting. Thanks for posting the link. I like to think I know a lot about GR history but much of this was new to me. For instance, I’d never heard of the Wealthy Theater architect Pierre Lindhout before. I wonder what the other ten neighborhood theaters were that he designed?

Drew, as for your gentrification/injustice etcetera posts, I’m pretty much in the same camp as the other responders. However I can understand how some of the less affluent neighbors might be a little put-off or even intimidated by the Winchester and some of the other new stores. I went to the Winchester once and ordered what I thought was a cup of coffee and they brought out this French Press thingy. My wife showed me what I was supposed to do with it and I ended up with way more caffeine than I wanted or needed. Maybe a French Press is every day stuff for most urbanplaneteers but it was too hoity-toity for this fairly well-off old white guy.

As I remember though, the building that houses the Winchester was in much worse shape than Ms. Ruby’s place. It had major structural issues and was about ready to collapse. So it’s not like the Winchester displaced some essential neighborhood business. Same for the other new businesses. And the nice appearance of the Winchester adds to the neighborhood whether one ever goes inside and orders a cup of coffee or not.

I don't think the Winchester was as bad as the building that now houses Rowster's/JohnnyBz. That building was literally falling down on the East end.

I go to Winchester quite a bit, maybe about twice a month. I don't think of it as hoity toity. It's pretty reasonable and the food is great, compared to some other locally owned restaurants in town (cough**Derby Station**cough**)

If the County or State seizes her property, she won't see any of that money.

Numbers from the MLive piece:

Jeff Bentley behind more than $10,000 utilities and other bills

The store is $8,778 behind on county property taxes dating back to 2008

total unpaid tax debt on the three properties could be more than $36,000

Total: about $55,000

offered to buy them for $325,000

So she could realize about $270,000, which certainly would cover her living situation in Wyoming. Methinks she needs a gentle friend to explain all this, and then take her shopping for a new TV.

Edited by Veloise
  • Like 1

Numbers from the MLive piece:

Jeff Bentley behind more than $10,000 utilities and other bills

The store is $8,778 behind on county property taxes dating back to 2008

total unpaid tax debt on the three properties could be more than $36,000

Total: about $55,000

offered to buy them for $325,000

So she could realize about $270,000, which certainly would cover her living situation in Wyoming. Methinks she needs a gentle friend to explain all this, and then take her shopping for a new TV.

She probably needs to do it pretty fast too. We had neighbors who had their property seized by the County after owing about 3 years of back property taxes. County sold it at auction for about 30% of the market value.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Family Dollar is celebrating their "grand reopening". Woo!

I assume that all of the equiptment in their frontal parking lot a few weeks ago was to spruce up the place on the inside. The exterior looks no different than it did in the late 90s. Still with cinder block exterior, useless big sign on a stick, and bars on the windows.

So we have a closed Sandmanns on one corner, the oppsite corner is a delapadated lot, The bank on the third corner needs two visible security guards on the outside at all times and the forth corner is dominated by a ghetto Family Dollar store.

I hope Fuller and Wealthy see some better times soon.

The Family Dollar is celebrating their "grand reopening". Woo!

I assume that all of the equiptment in their frontal parking lot a few weeks ago was to spruce up the place on the inside. The exterior looks no different than it did in the late 90s. Still with cinder block exterior, useless big sign on a stick, and bars on the windows.

So we have a closed Sandmanns on one corner, the oppsite corner is a delapadated lot, The bank on the third corner needs two visible security guards on the outside at all times and the forth corner is dominated by a ghetto Family Dollar store.

On the bright side, One Girl's Treasure has been really busy both times I was in there. They seem to be doing well in their new location.

Shamefully, I went in the Family Dollar in need of a roll of tape or something. I can assure you it is every bit as crappy as it ever was. Looks like the moved the checkouts and the shelves, though.

That corner is in desperate need, but I'm not sure much is going to happen any time soon. Those Family Dollars must turn a buck at the rate they keep popping up. I will never forgive Mercantile for the ruthless way they shut down Sandmanns, for absolutely no good reason. It isn't like they're making it big on the now vacant, empty business. On the bright side, that big retail center strip mallish thing-a-jig a block down is for sale. I'm hoping someone pops a McDonalds in there. Maybe it even used to be one? It's a really odd looking place.

Shamefully, I went in the Family Dollar in need of a roll of tape or something. I can assure you it is every bit as crappy as it ever was. Looks like the moved the checkouts and the shelves, though.

That corner is in desperate need, but I'm not sure much is going to happen any time soon. Those Family Dollars must turn a buck at the rate they keep popping up. I will never forgive Mercantile for the ruthless way they shut down Sandmanns, for absolutely no good reason. It isn't like they're making it big on the now vacant, empty business. On the bright side, that big retail center strip mallish thing-a-jig a block down is for sale. I'm hoping someone pops a McDonalds in there. Maybe it even used to be one? It's a really odd looking place.

It is an old McDonalds. Several years ago, before the strip mall was added to it, I was sent out to measure the building. To my surprise I discovered that this McDonalds had a basement. Do all the old McDonalds have basements?

It is an old McDonalds. Several years ago, before the strip mall was added to it, I was sent out to measure the building. To my surprise I discovered that this McDonalds had a basement. Do all the old McDonalds have basements?

Short answer: Yes.

In the words of Dewey Cox: HOW'S YOUR MIND? BLOWN?

Short answer: Yes.

In the words of Dewey Cox: HOW'S YOUR MIND? BLOWN?

Never woulda thunk it. McD's with basements! Huh. Here's my big Wealthy plan: Jamaican Dave's moves to the old Sandmann's and starts selling jerk chick and barbecue chicken. Mercantile can just give him the building as penance. McDonalds or some other decent fast or quick food joint moves back into the old McDonalds. Arbys? Pleeeease? The downtown residential area has a severe lack of quick service chain restaurants. With the neighborhood improvements, I suspect they could make a go of it these days. That strip mall thing is never going to work, and I've got to wonder what nincompoop ever thought it would. Seriously? A strip mall with no street frontage? Riiiiight.

Mcdonalds stopped putting in Basements between 88-92, and started putting up "expansive palaces" like the one on West River Dr. and the now Arby's at 44th and Broadmoor But before that every Mcky D's had basements. There are still a few around town that haven't been rebuilt that have them (2727 28th st) They were actually pretty nice with Training facilities, offices and stock rooms in them.

The way fast food expands these days I dont think we're likely to see McD's re-enter that market anytime soon. I don't know if there's enough traffic for one of the big ones to go in. Tho with TIm Hortons going in the old KFC on Fulton, that might be the perfect QSR concept for the neighborhood, Coffee and breakfast oriented stuff. I mean hell if they think Tim Hortons is good for the west side, it'd be perfect for the East Hills :)

Mcdonalds stopped putting in Basements between 88-92, and started putting up "expansive palaces" like the one on West River Dr. and the now Arby's at 44th and Broadmoor But before that every Mcky D's had basements. There are still a few around town that haven't been rebuilt that have them (2727 28th st) They were actually pretty nice with Training facilities, offices and stock rooms in them.

The way fast food expands these days I dont think we're likely to see McD's re-enter that market anytime soon. I don't know if there's enough traffic for one of the big ones to go in. Tho with TIm Hortons going in the old KFC on Fulton, that might be the perfect QSR concept for the neighborhood, Coffee and breakfast oriented stuff. I mean hell if they think Tim Hortons is good for the west side, it'd be perfect for the East Hills :)

I think that the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 probably put a halt to basements in new single story commercial buildings.

Edited by Gorath

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor has it that the White Old "Wealthy Auto Parts" on the corner of Henry and Wealthy is being bought be the owners of the Winchester and will be converted to a new eatery. What kind I do not know.

The rundown, brink falling off the wall, strip of stores across from Wealthy Street Bakery is being bought by Legrand and will be renovated and transformed.

While driving by Sandmann's, last night, I saw a small construction trailer, and some prople checking out the place. Their might even be a new permit card on the door. Something is going on and I think it is a new tenant. What could be going in there?