Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I don't think anyone has mentioned here on urbanplanet "Not Your Average Speaker Series: Uptown Urban Revitalization" at Wealthy Theatre Wednesday. I guess I will:

not average link

Amy and I are planning to attend. I hope the discussion can be constructive and I think it will be.

-Josh

• 4 months later...

There appears to have been some significant renovations to the building at the SE corner of Wealthy and Eureka. It has been repainted nicely, large windows installed, and the high chain-link fence and (propane?)tanks at the corner have been removed.

No idea what this is to become eventually, but it is a really pleasant surprise to see this building get some attention.

post-3465-0-14935400-1307221028_thumb.jp

post-3465-0-65736600-1307221046_thumb.jp

Edited by GR_Urbanist

There appears to have been some significant renovations to the building at the SE corner of Wealthy and Eureka. It has been repainted nicely, large windows installed, and the high chain-link fence and (propane?)tanks at the corner have been removed.

No idea what this is to become eventually, but it is a really pleasant surprise to see this building get some attention.

It is looking really nice. Should be a nice addition to the neighborhood too (not retail though).

Eureka! It tastes like Peppermint.

http://www.facebook.com/reaganmarketing

They are the ones moving in? Nice! That brings some real creative class to that corner.

Also, I didnt notice from the photo, that the so far undeveloped part of the building is actually getting a makeover as well. It looks like bricks are being removed and the door and windows are being redone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I'm at Brewery Vivant yesterday striking up a conversation with 3 guys yesterday. It turns out they drove all the way from New Jersey for a weekend outing just to sample our locally brewed beers. The hook was Founders ... they've had some excellent press lately. These guys search high & low for Founder's offerings back there, going so far as to call ahead and stake out different liquor stores for first dibs, especially when Canadian Breakfast Stout is released

They lamented at their limited time here, marveling at all the different places to go and saying how nice the people were. They were excited about all the new places opening ... the new/old Grand Rapids Brewing, Harmony, Elk Brewing, Perrin, etc and asked about taxes and housing affordability in the region. GR impressed all of them ... two of the three are interested in possibly relocating (the third has a GF who won't budge). It dawned on me later they fall into a demographic the city loves ... 20's, ambitious, good skills.

Guess the bottom line to this post is don't underestimate the attraction of beer when it comes to attracting new people to the city.

• Like 1

So I'm at Brewery Vivant yesterday striking up a conversation with 3 guys yesterday. It turns out they drove all the way from New Jersey for a weekend outing just to sample our locally brewed beers. The hook was Founders ... they've had some excellent press lately. These guys search high & low for Founder's offerings back there, going so far as to call ahead and stake out different liquor stores for first dibs, especially when Canadian Breakfast Stout is released

They lamented at their limited time here, marveling at all the different places to go and saying how nice the people were. They were excited about all the new places opening ... the new/old Grand Rapids Brewing, Harmony, Elk Brewing, Perrin, etc and asked about taxes and housing affordability in the region. GR impressed all of them ... two of the three are interested in possibly relocating (the third has a GF who won't budge). It dawned on me later they fall into a demographic the city loves ... 20's, ambitious, good skills.

Guess the bottom line to this post is don't underestimate the attraction of beer when it comes to attracting new people to the city.

I believe it. I don't know the statistics, but I think Founders might be the fastest growing business in Grand Rapids based on sales volume. Their distribution and following is growing like crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

The guys over at Siciliano's completely agree. A great little piece on how the brewery boom is helping out the West Michigan economy.

"With several established breweries leading the way, and with more on the horizon, Grand Rapids is poised to become a center for beer-related tourism. That's a good thing for West Michigan residents, and here's why . . . "

http://sicilianosmkt.blogspot.com/2011/11/destination-gr-craft-beer-capital-of.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

405792843_4b39ff96f5_o.jpg

The bad news about this property is that the brick on the James Street side is crumbling and falling. Luckily there is an inner wall so the building is not collapsing. The good news is that I heard a rumor today that there may be some serious improvements to the building and a new business opening in a couple of months.

Going through this old thread searching for the picture, it was pretty interesting reading the old posts and thinking about how far Wealthy has come since 2007. I wish a lot of the old posters were still active.

If serious improvements are in the works, does this mean the building has sold? I know that *many* people have tried to buy it but it's a tough sell for the family that owns it. Would be great to see 2-3 storefronts open up in that building.

I think some of the 'old timers' are still here, they probably just lurk. It's crazy to think I joined UP over 7 years ago. Even crazier to think how much communication on the web has changed. We're almost like fossils posting on these 'web-based forums'. :)

Joe

The bad news about this property is that the brick on the James Street side is crumbling and falling. Luckily there is an inner wall so the building is not collapsing. The good news is that I heard a rumor today that there may be some serious improvements to the building and a new business opening in a couple of months.

Going through this old thread searching for the picture, it was pretty interesting reading the old posts and thinking about how far Wealthy has come since 2007. I wish a lot of the old posters were still active.

I would think they have no choice but to sell judging by the pathetic job they've done for the past number of years. They obviously have no money to make it look decent.

If it is going to be improved, I hope the people that posses it now are not involved in any of it from now on, that includes any business that would be in there. They took one of the most desirable buildings on Wealthy and nose-dived it into a farce, and filled it with basically fake businesses that no one in their right mind would patronize.

I am not surprised. When I lived in the NW. People would make brewery pilgrimages. Perhaps this amendment is good for the overall continued growth of Bell's Brewery and hopefully other Michigan craft brewers to follow.

http://beernews.org/2011/12/michigan-senate-passes-bill-allowing-large-breweries-to-sell-beer-directly-to-consumers/.

I just ran out at lunch and made my own 6-pack of local brews for a gift. Good for those who need a little extra incentive to get out to the breweries. Founders+Brewery Vivant+Saugatuck.

Back in the '90s (?), brewing laws changed and little microbrews and brew-on-premises popped up all over. Then a lot of them very quickly disappeared. This current growth seems to be more stable and I wish them all luck. Funny, I think of Founders as "old" and that would make Bell's almost pre-historic.