Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I believe it is still the same family.

I believe so too. Just after the brick fell, a couple of us were checking it out and the neighbor next door came over to talk with us. Apparently the owners are very particular about who they sell to, if they do sell. This was just the neighbor speaking, so it's a bit herese, but she said she thought they wanted it to stay minority-owned (African American).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Harmony Brewing in Eastown is finally opened... I drove by today (after a visit to Founders which was packed) and was going to stop in for a pint, but the place had a full crowd. I am somewhat surprised by the business these local breweries are pulling in on mid-week nights. The growth is certainly exciting for a beer afficiando!

• 3 weeks later...

Another example of how Founders has become a mini-tourist destination of sorts. Kentucky Breakfast Stout is rated the 9th best beer in the world by the users of BeerAdvocate.com (http://beeradvocate.com/lists/popular). They posted on Monday on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/founderstaproom with 13,728 "fans") about the release of Kentucky Breakfast Stout on Saturday, 3/10 asking who was going to come. There were 42 replies and among them:

"Heather Lynn Welty Driving from Pittsburgh PA to wait in line! Well worth the wait!"

"RonSanto Fitz Im heading there from Chi at 4 am so should be there by

8 am... Im bringing Growlers of Rev brew, Half Acre and 3 floyds for all to enjoy!"

"Patrick Cleary I'll be first in line. 200 mile trip with the guys!"

"Nathan Hillyard Yep. Leaving Evansville Indiana directly after work on Friday at 5. Driving straight to founders, pulling out the bag chair, cracking a beer, and wait."

"Mark Loughead Coming from the other side of the state.. We'll be the ones tailgating with a grill... Prolly bring a bottle or 2 of black note, old curmudgeon better half, some bbl plead the fifth and some bbl 4th dementia for starters:) can't wait for the party!"

Edited by fotoman311

Great thread -- beer, good food, wine are tremendous attractions for younger folks. My kids (who are in/almost in their 20s) are much more knowledgeable about food and alcohol than our generation. For us it was burgers, pizza or lasagna, washed down with Stroh's. Now, it might be tapas or locovore delights, accompanied by the best of Founder's or Bell's.

My frustration is that it is almost impossible to find Michigan beer in Southern California; we can buy East Coast microbrews, but not the best of the Great Lake State. I hope that the local brewers can expand their marketing efforts, as I find the beers to be fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Funny thing, I just stumbled upon this while browsing Facebook, if you vote or just click "See Results", the comments for Grand Rapids are just amazing!

http://polldaddy.com...lts&msg=revoted

Its a vote for BeerCity USA 2012.

http://www.examiner....allot-poll-open

It's actually a vote for Grand Rapids to be on the ballot for Beer City USA. I was happy to see so many great comments talking up GR, though.

Edit: Wow, GR only had about 900 votes when I checked this a couple days ago. 46% of the vote makes a bit of a statement.

Edited by fotoman311