Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

A downtown cinema complex may not have to be as dependent on parking as suburban spaces because there is built-in foot-trafffic from conventioneers and tourists looking for things to do.  Additionally, with all of the additional residents moving therein the Gulch, various central apartments/condos, Germantown, Rolling Mill Hill, etc. there are now thousands more folks who would like to see movies  without having to travel out of the core.  

• Like 3

The good and the bad of the boom town thing... Land in Nashville is harder to come by at a price that is even in the financial ballpark. Downtown dirt is now over $200 a foot. A movie theater is around 55,000 SF plus a huge parking load. That means a structured deck for 600-1000 spaces at $18,000 a space.

$75 MM for a theater is double what it costs to build in the suburbs. You can't charge double for the tickets.

Movie theater is such a bad idea. Horrible idea. Movie theater patronage is at an all time low. Movies very rarely have a week run. Most people under 30 now watch movies on Netflix, Hulu, and on demand services. I have not been to a movie theater in years. Last time I went, the place was filthy and pretty much abandoned.

However, an arts cinema like the Belcourt would be great. Art house's are doing well because of the "experience" one gets with Q & A's after the shows, and other "intangibles", but the typical movie theater/industry is dead. Movie theaters as we know them (the multiplexes) died with rotary dial phones and dial-up internet.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/number-of-frequent-young-moviegoers-plummets-in-2013-1201146426/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/business/media/to-lure-young-movie-theaters-shake-smell-and-spritz.html?_r=0

Regal cinemas profits dropped 50%.

Edited by Paramount747

Movie theater is such a bad idea. Horrible idea. Movie theater patronage is at an all time low. Movies very rarely have a week run. Most people under 30 now watch movies on Netflix, Hulu, and on demand services. I have not been to a movie theater in years. Last time I went, the place was filthy and pretty much abandoned.

However, an arts cinema like the Belcourt would be great. Art house's are doing well because of the "experience" one gets with Q & A's after the shows, and other "intangibles", but the typical movie theater/industry is dead. Movie theaters as we know them (the multiplexes) died with rotary dial phones and dial-up internet.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/number-of-frequent-young-moviegoers-plummets-in-2013-1201146426/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/business/media/to-lure-young-movie-theaters-shake-smell-and-spritz.html?_r=0

Agree. Overall I am not a fan on the traditional movie theater archetype in the urban environment. They are big blank walled dark boxes. They don't offer street activation and they don't offer urban facades. The traditional theater as we know it today not inly belongs in the suburbs, but is dying a slow death.

Speaking of theaters, a new performing stage would be in order somewhere down the line, I would think, with private partnership, although it could be tough acoustically to incorporate in a mixed-use setting with dwellings.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Eventually we'll need a new performing arts center complex and some cities, such as Charlotte, Dallas, and even Kansas City have incredible facilities while our TPAC looks like a basement under a high-rise. The question is, where would it go?

This is a great point, NashRugger.  TPAC will need to be replaced eventually.  I haven't thought about this until you mentioned it.  When this eventually happens, something on the quality level and scale of the Schermerhorn would be an incredible addition to our city.

What about the land bordered by 2nd, 3rd, Gay and James Robertson... if the criminal justice complex ends up moving elsewhere?

Edited by RonCamp
  • Like 2

You must have never been to Opry Mills movie theater or Regal 27 in 100 Oaks on the weekend....both of those places are insanely busy during those points in time.

• Like 3

Saw that coming.     9000 sq ft of retail seems like a paltry amount considering the amount of street frontage on all 4 sides.     The Gossett Bldg alone probably has more than that.     Question is will the retail be on Church or down on the corner across from Chauhan's?      

On the bright side, it will be good to get rid of this:   

post-29449-0-59958300-1431469060_thumb.p

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 1

Having lived in the Tampa area for a while, I've seen BayWalk in St. Petersburg and Centro Ybor in Tampa both support massive movie theaters in new-ish entertainment complexes surrounded by a mix of chain retail, local retail and restaurants. Both cater to a mix of tourists and locals, and Centro Ybor is largely a nightlife destination -- the attractions would blend well with lower Broadway. Parking is a mix of street-level and garages. I could absolutely imagine one of those concepts working for the Lifeway site.

Edited by Jamie Hall
  • Like 1