Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

So like, is that a giant diving platform in the top pic? [LoL]

I see that they plan to hold onto my phat incinerator chimney stack.  Sure hope that they don't try to replace bricks of that thing with yellow-brick "Dell", even though the Dell eternally is associated with the strip.  That would be simply a desecration, and tacky. 

Maybe they could reinforce it and create an "industrial" observation tower out of it.

-==-

• Like 1

It is not bad ... but definitely not good. I have seen similar in ATL and Charlotte and Baltimore. Looks as if the retail will be on the Gulch side of the development.

Edited by Guest

That looks about like their style... and quick too!  They've obviously seen the astounding prices the apartment developers have been able to get by turning right around after completion and making a "killing".  I think it's a horrible location and (IMHO) they overpaid for it.  But they probably will make a lot of money. ADDED:  Just read the article... so yes, they (not only heard about the high valuations but) cashed in with Velocity. http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/05/exclusive-80m-gulch-apartment-project-just-the.html

So question:  Why are all the new apartment blocks no more than 5 stories?  Is it because anything taller would require sturdier (steel/concrete) construction?  Is it just universally known that a stick-frame building can be built up to 5 floors? 

Edited by MLBrumby

That looks about like their style... and quick too!  They've obviously seen the astounding prices the apartment developers have been able to get by turning right around after completion and making a "killing".  I think it's a horrible location and (IMHO) they overpaid for it.  But they probably will make a lot of money. ADDED:  Just read the article... so yes, they (not only heard about the high valuations but) cashed in with Velocity. http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/05/exclusive-80m-gulch-apartment-project-just-the.html

So question:  Why are all the new apartment blocks no more than 5 stories?  Is it because anything taller would require sturdier (steel/concrete) construction?  Is it just universally known that a stick-frame building can be built up to 5 floors? 

ML, I think it boils down to cost. They consider every square inch of those buildings and how they are going to make a profit off of them. It is true 5 stories is the height limit for stick frame unless you have a floor of concrete first and they you can go to six. If the bottom floor has retail, it must be concrete on the first floor. All new construction must have a concrete base if there is retail. 5th and Main, Elliston 23, and 1101 18th are the last low rise condos that were concrete. I would say the rest from here on out will be stick frame since it is so much cheaper. Hard to make a profit with the price of concrete and steel.

ML, I think it boils down to cost. They consider every square inch of those buildings and how they are going to make a profit off of them. It is true 5 stories is the height limit for stick frame unless you have a floor of concrete first and they you can go to six. If the bottom floor has retail, it must be concrete on the first floor. All new construction must have a concrete base if there is retail. 5th and Main, Elliston 23, and 1101 18th are the last low rise condos that were concrete. I would say the rest from here on out will be stick frame since it is so much cheaper. Hard to make a profit with the price of concrete and steel.

Steel or RC construction also reduces floor space, requiring columns at fixed intervals irrespective of layout. Wood allows for walls that have to be there anyway to carry the structural load as well. It's not much of a difference in the overall size, but when you want to lease for $25/ft.²/month and can't afford to go up to 20 stories every little bit counts.

• Like 1

There will be a tower crane at the project next to Yazoo. It will go up in about two weeks.

Well, I may be wrong already! This 5 story project will be concrete because of the below grade 2-3 story parking garage, unless they do a concrete garage and once they get to grade, they switch to stick frame which has been done before.

Steel or RC construction also reduces floor space, requiring columns at fixed intervals irrespective of layout. Wood allows for walls that have to be there anyway to carry the structural load as well. It's not much of a difference in the overall size, but when you want to lease for $25/ft.²/month and can't afford to go up to 20 stories every little bit counts.

Correct, and like in my unit at 5th and Main, I have two rather large (three feet across) caissons right in the middle of my living room. They frame my flat screen and such, they look great, but i lose a lot of square feet in the process.

• Like 1

This is not always true. When done right it can be an incredible success.  The Regal Riviara 8 on Gay street in downtown Knoxville has a beautiful front facade. There are no blank walls because it was built into the interior of a couple of dilapidated buildings and spread out into 2 others on the backside of the complex. It also offers enormous street activation before as well as after showing. The city made a big bet on the project with additional public funding in conjunction with Regal and it paid off big time. Before the complex was built, much of Gay street was dead, with empty and boarded buildings... now, solely because of the initial success of the theater, the entirety of Gay street has been reactivated and revitalized. Once empty, buildings are now full with condos, shops, pubs, sports bars, and trendy restaurants as well as the banks and law firms (that never left downtown). . So, yes, when done thoughtfully, and with a creative manner, a theater can be an excellent addition.  Today, downtown is the place to be....it's no longer, west Knoxville or the malls. The crowds, day and night, 7 days a week tells the tale nicely.

This is a nice area. I was there maybe 5-7 years ago? Have not been to a UT game in at least that long. In any case it was nice.

You must have never been to Opry Mills movie theater or Regal 27 in 100 Oaks on the weekend....both of those places are insanely busy during those points in time.

That is not downtown either. Never went to the 100 Oaks theater because of all the crime I kept hearing about. Opry Mills the same. You may be right, but I think the theater is still a short lived entity in the future.

Core drilling at the Cambria Suites site today.

Have we seen an official rendering on this? We could see yet another tower crane for this as well.

That looks cool. So is that a "go"?   I haven't heard anything about it.  It appears to have a theater (a discussion on another thread). BTW: That also looks like a great spot for the performing arts center that someone mentioned would need to replace the TPAC complex. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Rendering of the Pollack Shores vomit induc... sorry.

1459church-st-live-work.jpg

Oooooohh! Vinyl/Composite siding and corrugated sheet metal! Durable materials abound. If they're going to stay with a wood structure could they at least use brick to give it the appearance of permanence?

• Like 2

Demolition started Tuesday on the eastern side of this building, so this project is finally moving along. My understanding is that the rest of the building will be left standing and rehabbed.

This is facing north, looking up 11th Street (and the ongoing streetscape work) toward NES and the Capitol View site.

IMG_20150513_155311033.jpg

Edited by Jamie Hall
  • Like 1

If I recall correctly, those drawings are nothing more than a conceptual design from a competition a design school recently held. That may have been the winning entry, but I have not heard any mention of any of it actually coming to fruition.

EDIT: Sad, but true. Such a thing would make a great positive impact on and for that area.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 3

Ron,

It could be loads better, BUT this development is heaven-sent compared to the garbage I have had to drive past daily for 10 years. Abandoned buildings, weeds, broken concrete .... disorder and desolation are not desirable to me. So, while I would have loved to have a 15 story curved-glass tower I will take what is real and doable.

Another waste of real estate.

Ron,

It could be loads better, BUT this development is heaven-sent compared to the garbage I have had to drive past daily for 10 years. Abandoned buildings, weeds, broken concrete .... disorder and desolation are not desirable to me. So, while I would have loved to have a 15 story curved-glass tower I will take what is real and doable.

Agreed. I think we're all thrilled that it will be anything rather than nothing. That doesn't mean he/we can't be frustrated that it isn't making the most of its potential. :)

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

Talk about an over-heated real estate market.. this is getting nuts.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/05/13/lower-broadway-parking-site-sold-record-price/27260461/

A Key West, Fla.-based tour company has bought one-tenths of an acre at Broadway and Second Avenue South for a record per-square-foot price for land sold in the Nashville area.

Historic Tours of America paid $5.05 million for parcels at 201, 203 and 205 Broadway in the heart of downtown's tourist district. It equates to a local record of $1,054 per square foot.

"I've done this for 30 years and have never seen a land sale anywhere close to $900 a foot in Middle Tennessee," said Axson West, a principal in Nashville-based commercial real estate brokerage Southeast Venture, which wasn't involved with the transaction. "$1,000 a foot seems like you have to do a lot of tours."

Historic Tours of America purchased the location, which includes a 21-space parking lot plus locations used by a hot dog vendor and a Gray Line ticket office, from Mayesco LLC. The property is part of the site once eyed for Westin and Hyatt Regency hotels

Looks as if the retail will be on the Gulch side of the development.

And here is the Gulch side

post-29449-0-56288500-1431560789_thumb.p

On the positive side, I concur with the decision to put the limited amount of retail on the corner of Grundy/12th in the Gulch.    Maybe something will go in there that works well with 12th & Porter, Chahuan's, etc.    

On the negative, well, just more of the same stick frame crap.    

The apartments facing I-40 will be a test of how hot the demand really is.    Roll out of bed, throw open the blinds and say hello to your view:

post-29449-0-76311300-1431561142_thumb.p             

• Like 1

maybe they know an interstate cap is coming!!

The apartments facing I-40 will be a test of how hot the demand really is.    Roll out of bed, throw open the blinds and say hello to your view:

attachicon.gifPollackview.PNG             

Well, it certainly could have been much worse, especially when one considers the architectural freak show that is showcased in the portfolio featured on their website.  It does have good massing.  It is built up to the street.  It does have some smartly placed retail and structured parking, and it doesn't appear to have fortress style blank walls all around. 

That being said though, it is yet another toothpick and plastic structure in a long line of toothpick and plastic structures that will be falling apart in a couple decades time, which exist almost exclusively for the purpose of making as many pennies for Pollock Shore as possible.  This thing would probably be more at home somewhere along Charlotte Ave. and I can't help but think that it wouldn't have been that difficult to incorporate at least the facade of the Gossett Building into the overall design of the project.  Yeah, they pridefully proclaim that they will save the neon sign, but that's like shooting my grandpa in the face and then trying to console me by giving me his hat. 

I've always kind of hoped that that section of Church St. would continue to develop into a funky, unique, honest-to-goodness "gayborhood," as they say.  I doubt though that will ever happen now that Pollock Shores decided to drop this mediocre, plastic-wrapped, disposable turd right into the middle of it.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4