Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

William filled me in when you called him Todd. I trust your information is strong and hope there will be some major news on this soon.

So many areas of town are being transformed. It just looks as if we are going to have a lot of medium sized buildings before we get any tall boys. I am fine with that, although I wish we would get at least one or two new tallest. Tony's 505 will help as it will loom large on the hill.

BTW, Todd, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Look forward to seeing you at a meet soon.

• Like 1

William filled me in when you called him Todd. I trust your information is strong and hope there will be some major news on this soon.

So many areas of town are being transformed. It just looks as if we are going to have a lot of medium sized buildings before we get any tall boys. I am fine with that, although I wish we would get at least one or two new tallest. Tony's 505 will help as it will loom large on the hill.

BTW, Todd, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Look forward to seeing you at a meet soon.

nashville_bound, my sympathy is out to you at this time, since I picked up on what the smeags said.

Wait a second, you mean this is going to be totally demolished ?

http://www.emporis.com/buildings/123007/centennial-tower-nashville-tn-usa

Unless I misunderstood entirely, yes. It does not seem feasible ... why not just renovate? Seems like a waste.

I know what thought everyone probably suddenly has become preoccupied with, and I only could hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid I'm not.  I might have to eat my words on that "sacrificial lamb on the altar", so to speak.   So therefore, like, what else is new... :yawn:

The_Guess_Who_hint_zpsgum9fgu0.jpg

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Has there been a building that tall in Nashville that's been demo'd before?

The Sudekum, Sam Davis and Genesco buildings come to mind. There have been 6 buildings over 10 stories demolished in downtown:

http://www.emporis.com/city/101337/nashville-tn-usa/status/demolished

At 212 feet, Lifeway would be the tallest to be demolished, but at 12 floors, it is 1 floor shorter apparently than the Tennessee/Sudekum building was (though 60 feet taller).

• Like 2

Has there been a building that tall in Nashville that's been demo'd before?

The Sudekum, Sam Davis and Genesco buildings come to mind. There have been 6 buildings over 10 stories demolished in downtown:

http://www.emporis.com/city/101337/nashville-tn-usa/status/demolished

At 212 feet, Lifeway would be the tallest to be demolished, but at 12 floors, it is 1 floor shorter apparently than the Tennessee/Sudekum building was (though 60 feet taller).

...and then there was the "early" National Life & Accident Building, which still existed into the mid-'70s on the same block as the new NL Tower (now the Wm. Snodgrass State office).

National Life & Accident (orig.) and Sullivan Tower (background)

Nash_Capitol_HillNationalLife_SW-aerial_

-==-

• Like 2

I was hoping they were going to save the cross building. Part of me hates to see any building razed because of how it represents a certain time period, population, culture, etc.  100 years from now the "Cross Building" could very well be looked upon as being something totally foreign to society at that time.   That being said, the addition of whatever replaces it will likely add far more to the urban fabric of that area.

• Like 3

I was thinking the cross building wasn't very old.  It's actually not a bad looking building, IMO.  However...if they have a grand vision for something spectacular at that location...then by all means...knock that sucker down!  :thumbsup:

I don't think it is. However, a lot of the buildings we look back on and wish were still here weren't "old" when they were razed either.

The LifeWay Property Redevelopment is not a full demo + rebuild. Most is being repurposed in some manner. New buildings are mixed in to get extra density.

Does that mean, for sure, that they won't demo the "cross" building?  I know there are several other buildings on the campus...and assumed they wouldn't demo all of them...but just wondering about the cross building.

Does that mean, for sure, that they won't demo the "cross" building? I know there are several other buildings on the campus...and assumed they wouldn't demo all of them...but just wondering about the cross building.

The Draper Centennial Tower will not be demolished. It will be redone in a way that makes it look completely new.